Fuel strainer split.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
While inside my tank to change out the filter and hoses, I noticed a split in one of the welded seams. About 10mm long on the strainer which is a form of plastic mesh.
Big bucks for a replacement so, would Gorilla super glue fix and seal it considering it is submerged in fuel?

3b90704b61307b5e2b1257947e08a86a.jpg

Also noticed the two 30mm long connection hoses between pump and filter on mine showed external cracks so being replaced this time around.

Patria o Muerte

Take your old strainer into an auto parts store and see if they can sell you an identical Bosch part for far less than a BMW dealer parts counter can sell you an OEM one.

If the two straight sections of in-tank fuel line are cracked you might want to replace the 180 degree bend piece - they can split internally with no visible external splits showing.. A number of people use a metal 180 degree bend and two pieces of straight hose as a substitute. The BMW U-piece is crazily priced. The metal U-bends can be sourced from brewery suppy businesses, but more conveniently mouthfulloflake sells a complete kit for making this replacement through his nushings.com website. http://nushings.com/#/moreproduct

Make sure any in--tank hose you buy is rated for fuel injection service and that it is rated for immersion in gasoline.

OK, got another strainer but, it is so fragile to try and force it so worried about ripping it.

With the pump in situ including the plastic vibration damper, there is not much clearance space (between pump neck and damper opening) to get the small strainer lip into the opening.

Any suggestions?

Patria o Muerte

Take your old strainer into an auto parts store and see if they can sell you an identical Bosch part for far less than a BMW dealer parts counter can sell you an OEM one.

If the two straight sections of in-tank fuel line are cracked you might want to replace the 180 degree bend piece - they can split internally with no visible external splits showing.. A number of people use a metal 180 degree bend and two pieces of straight hose as a substitute. The BMW U-piece is crazily priced. The metal U-bends can be sourced from brewery suppy businesses, but more conveniently mouthfulloflake sells a complete kit for making this replacement through his nushings.com website. http://nushings.com/#/moreproduct

Make sure any in--tank hose you buy is rated for fuel injection service and that it is rated for immersion in gasoline.

GSBruce, I have the Nushing SS U bend but, if you add a piece of hose to attach it, it will lengthen the distance and it looks like it may touch/interfere with the level float bowel.

I also have the correct submersible hose.

Patria o Muerte

A gentle tap with a rubber mallet worked it's wonders fitting the strainer into the housing. Will forego the SS U-bend for now as original looks good close up.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

You have to cut off the straight parts of mouthfulloflake’s U-bend, I think it’s one or two of the notches/barbs at the pipe ends that have to be cut off to make it fit.

If you wait until the rubber U-bend leaks your bike won’t start or if running, will stop running. That wouldn’t be too bad if it happened at home but would be a nightmare out on the road.

do you have any photos of your pump assembly?

Which strainer , part number?, did you end up with?

I would get some stainless steel staples and staple the mouth of the mesh shut.

The mesh is there to prevent large bits of debris like flakes of paint etc going through the pump and jamming it.

The filter cleans the fuel for the injectors.

do you have any photos of your pump assembly?

Which strainer , part number?, did you end up with?

It is a standard OEM pump assembly. Got another strainer and damper now fitted.
The SS Ubend will be on hold as original looks good all round. As someone mentioned, it needs to be shortened otherwise it will block the float level.

Patria o Muerte

I am interested and asking about which strainer and for photos, because not everyone has had to shorten the stainless U.

There is typically clearance between the stainless U bend and the float arm, in my experience.

if the stainless U needs to be shortened on EVERY application, I will start doing that before shipping them.
it takes about 12 seconds with my old dull hacksaw.

Effing damn and blast! Struggled getting the two small fuel hose breather clips back on yesterday before putting the whole pump/filter assembly back in the tank.

Today. Now why would it not go back into the tank as a complete assembly ready for closing up. Know why?

Shite

With the breather hoses attached, there is not enough hose length to turn assembly around to slide it in. Stuck . The OEM hose clips are now buggered and new SS hose clips ordered; first class. Size 8 - 10mm.

Another error of judgement learned and hopefully not to be repeated.

Patria o Muerte

Back
Top Bottom