Dealer or indy for servicing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike is now due its first service, do you use dealers or independents?

I have Northants V Twin on my doorstep who seem to have a very good reputation.

My rule - main dealer till warranty expires - then independent.

Removes any pain if warranty issues crop up.

But my youngest Harley is 23 years old and the oldest 28...

So it’s always Independent

Why not do it yourself, Harleys must be one of the easiest bikes to self maintain.

Why not do it yourself, Harleys must be one of the easiest bikes to self maintain.

Only really two jobs that need some skill - adjusting the clutch and adjusting the belt tension - everything else (Evo) very simple - guess the M8’s need plugged in from time to time.

Americans don`t do skill.....Just sayin`

Nah, they just threw together a few off cuts and sent a few manned space ships and shuttles up into space, and lo and behold, some of them even came back, with live personnel on board. Who'd have thought it from those non skilled yanks??:nenau

Talk some sense occasionally or just shut up. :blast

Nah, they just threw together a few off cuts and sent a few manned space ships and shuttles up into space, and lo and behold, some of them even came back, with live personnel on board. Who'd have thought it from those non skilled yanks??:nenau

:D Just look at who showed them how to do it....I have restored American 6X6 trucks, fucked around with the shit that is HD.....So tell me more of the American engineering prowess....

:D Just look at who showed them how to do it....I have restored American 6X6 trucks, fucked around with the shit that is HD.....So tell me more of the American engineering prowess....

How could we have shown them "how to do it" if we haven't ACTUALLY done it? I expect there are some Brits that are/were involved in NASA somewhere, but we didn't write the blueprint.
HD's are designed for rednecks to be able to maintain and the same goes for most US military equipment, it has to be maintained by a grunt..... hence it was within your engineering capability.;)
Think space travel, gps, mobile phones, smart phones, personal computers, kevlar, laser printers, cd's. Yes, we have had our fair share of engineering successes, but they are not too shabby either.

Only really two jobs that need some skill - adjusting the clutch and adjusting the belt tension - everything else (Evo) very simple - guess the M8’s need plugged in from time to time.

I have to admit the three I've had were all carb versions so no need to plug into anything, but everything else was fairly straight forward.

How could we have shown them "how to do it" if we haven't ACTUALLY done it? I expect there are some Brits that are/were involved in NASA somewhere, but we didn't write the blueprint.
HD's are designed for rednecks to be able to maintain and the same goes for most US military equipment, it has to be maintained by a grunt..... hence it was within your engineering capability.;)
Think space travel, gps, mobile phones, smart phones, personal computers, kevlar, laser printers, cd's. Yes, we have had our fair share of engineering successes, but they are not too shabby either.

Indeed...Sat nav an American Govt. invention for the Gulf war.
Smart phone, another American Govt. Invention for another war.
THe American Govt. has invented most of what we use today in the name of war.....It is just as well that the US Govt. is not able to Patent their inventions, or we would all be in the fucking dark ages and that is ACTUALLY TRUE...…….Steve Jobs just ran with the phone tech and called it Apple.....Presumably because he could not think of a better name because he was just winging it......Just as well he got Cancer and died early, because thecunt never did invent a fucking thing....I call it karma.

I have to admit the three I've had were all carb versions so no need to plug into anything, but everything else was fairly straight forward.

IMO the best sort... both mine are carb.

Indeed...Sat nav an American Govt. invention for the Gulf war.
Smart phone, another American Govt. Invention for another war.
THe American Govt. has invented most of what we use today in the name of war.....It is just as well that the US Govt. is not able to Patent their inventions, or we would all be in the fucking dark ages and that is ACTUALLY TRUE...…….Steve Jobs just ran with the phone tech and called it Apple.....Presumably because he could not think of a better name because he was just winging it......Just as well he got Cancer and died early, because thecunt never did invent a fucking thing....I call it karma.
Strangely, GPS was around decades before G1.

It helped Polaris know where it was so you could launch at the targets, there was also sins too, still you knew all this just forgot too mention it ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Dave at Northants V Twin is a top guy who has worked on Harley's since the early 80's....he works on my H-D if its something I can't manage myself. :okay

I put it down to being early in the morning

GPS came about so that you could work out your posn within 3ft, (in my day) now it's even more accurate. All they are is atomic clocks, the rest is just trigonometry.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

And a little added correction to allow for time running approximately 38,700 nanoseconds per day faster in a geostationary orbit than on earth

Some might have some skill, but the fact that they’ve left a feckin hole in the rear mudguard on my new RKS so all the road shit can enter where all the electrics are suggests that Harley are quite sloppy. The reason for this hole? Well it’s the same stamp that is/was used on other bikes that had a wiring loom going through that hole. A 50p grommet would sort it, but no, just leave it. Also they’ve managed to make a 1868cc bike engine with less power than a Ford Focus, that takes a special kind of backward thinking, along with a bike that weighs enough to have its own gravitational pull and it handles like a barge. I don’t love it for its brilliance, I love it because of its failings.

Never ceases to amaze me how on this forum you ask one question and people hijack your thread to spout their own particular agenda !
Joys of an open forum I suppose.

I have decided to get the first service done by the original seller as we have come to an arrangement on the cost. After that it will be an independent and hopefully the guy in Northampton.

TO save some of you wearing out your F's and C's I will close this thread down. Who knew how eloquent Harley owners could be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom