Bike Starts Without A Key

JoeC

rebircsbuS
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
F800GSA 2016.
Turned the bike key on this morning to disarm the alarm and then turned it off whilst I prepared myself. Then the fuel pump, lights etc. all started to come on / off all by itself as if I was turning the ignition off / on - this was all with the key in the off position. Turned it off/on again but still the same. Also found that with the key out I could start the bike!
Disconencted / reconnected battery a couple of times but still the same. In the meantime I have disconencted the battery. Guessing the key barrel is up the pokey. Will see what BMW have to say tomorrow - hoping that it will start and can ride it to them OK.
Always just before Christmas :(

Yes, although they all run through same control module as coil/lambda/dash.

Also it may show a low voltage and heated grips o/s too.

You can clear all the fault codes, but also check there isn't a pd between battery voltage and the switch voltage.

Bottom of switch is replaceable.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

New key barrel required - £110 fitted by BMW.
Due in tomorrow so back on the road Thursday - hopefully.

hi Joe

did it get fixed Ok? mine has just developed same fault. i read up on it and general consensus was that it was ignition switch. I've ordered the part (£80 from motorwerks) and am going to attempt to fit myself . thinking the barrell will be the more expensive and less likely fault?

BMW sorted it for me and I was back on the road. All good so far.

Ah ok. Although I’m new to biking, I’m keen on self help. I’ve replaced the ignition switch in about 30-40 min and all seems to be working, very chuffed if I may say so.

Time was against me as I use my bike for daily transport to / from work. It probably would have cost me more in train tickets and waiting for the part to arrive than it did taking the bike to BMW the following day to get it replaced. They also rekeyed the new barrel so I still get to use the original key for everything.
But I do know what you mean by doing it yourself as I try to do that myself whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom