Fat Bob Heated Grips

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know, I'm a serial questioner but after this I will leave you alone.
Has anyone fitted heated grips to a 2019 plus Softail Fat Bob?

I am trying to figure out where the live power feed is picked up from.
I've been given two conflicting answers from dealers, Either way I think the tank has to come off, is this as pain or just a bit long winded?
Any help would be happily received, should you wish to demonstrate your swearing prowess :blast please feel free to post elsewhere :D:D

Just done it on a 2019 heritage. It’s fairly easy. Tank removal is simple and makes job much easier. Power feed is in the cluster of wires on the front left of the frame by the headstock. You may or may not need the auxiliary cable purchased separately. You may also need to make up the correct connection from the bits and bobs included in said auxiliary kit.
You only need to feed wires down the left hand bars, I used a guitar string and some silicone spray. Fat Bob may also have a weight inside the left grip you need to remove. Do a search on HDforum. There are a couple of threads on there detailing the procedure.

Just done it on a 2019 heritage. It’s fairly easy. Tank removal is simple and makes job much easier. Power feed is in the cluster of wires on the front left of the frame by the headstock. You may or may not need the auxiliary cable purchased separately. You may also need to make up the correct connection from the bits and bobs included in said auxiliary kit.
You only need to feed wires down the left hand bars, I used a guitar string and some silicone spray. Fat Bob may also have a weight inside the left grip you need to remove. Do a search on HDforum. There are a couple of threads on there detailing the procedure.

Cheers for that, the instructions kind of run out passed feeding wires down the left hand bar.
I can see that there will be a connection for the left to right grip in amongst the debris of cables by the headstock just not sure if there's a power feed there!

Just remembered!! Power feed is inside th caddy where the USB port is.
You have to remove it and plug in a piggy back cable.
Take care pushing all the wires back into the headstock area. It’s easy to dislodge a plug and bolt everything back together only to find the left hand switch gear doesn’t work:blast

Take care pushing all the wires back into the headstock area. It’s easy to dislodge a plug and bolt everything back together only to find the left hand switch gear doesn’t work:blast

You're a star mate, no need to take the tank of then :beerjug:

Hi, just got back on this as Ive been post op a while. Got both new grips on but cannot, for the life of me find the pre-wired connector for the throttle side. Ive removed the weird rubber grommet thing above the USB and cannot see it. Not yet taken the tank off do I have to to get access?

I can’t remember TBH. Pretty sure the right hand grip is prewired. The instructions with the grips are confusing mainly because it caters for all the soft tail models and they are all different!! That said I did eventually work it out. I’d definitely remove the tank anyway, it really isn’t hard and makes it a lot easier to manage the wiring at the head stock shuttle.

If you’re still struggling after removing the tank PM me and I’ll have a better look at mine

I can’t remember TBH. Pretty sure the right hand grip is prewired. The instructions with the grips are confusing mainly because it caters for all the soft tail models and they are all different!! That said I did eventually work it out. I’d definitely remove the tank anyway, it really isn’t hard and makes it a lot easier to manage the wiring at the head stock shuttle.

If you’re still struggling after removing the tank PM me and I’ll have a better look at mine

TBH I was just being lazy, I have a limited time work span due to my new knee so am trying to start jobs that I can leave in a sensible place.
I have new number plate holder for the rear of the bike, a sat nav and these grips to finish of. The problem I have is ensuring I maintain my attention span so I dont do anything stupid!
I will whip the tank of on Friday and have a good furtle about :)

Ok, watched a video on fitting cruise control, this showed the connector I'd been looking for! Turns out I wasn't being brutal enough! Now found and connected. Rather than removing the tank ( don't have big enough Allen key) I fished a wide through and ran it under the tank. Connected it all up using the additional loom, nothing! After lots of head scratching it turns out some tit at their suppliers crossed over the purple and red wires so black went to black and red to purple ffs!
Changed over and now toasty hands just in time for summer! Will now wire Sat Nav into that power feed. Next mini project moving number plate to behind the rear mud guard.

Back
Top Bottom