2004 GS wouldn't start!

Zagato

Reaction score
Had my GS for thee days now and nearly done 400 miles on her as I love it so much, no need to ever buy another style of bike ever again, it's just great, anyway, enough gushing, the blimmen thing wouldn't start this morning :augie. The Neutral light is flickering on and off. I don,t want to stop riding it over Xmas, big ride out planned with mate tomorrow so is there a switch or something I can clean up? Are the two related? Thanks.

This reminds me of an issue a friend of mine had with his 1100RT some years ago. I eventually traced the fault to the neutral switch which I think was behind the gearbox. The wires into/out of it had corroded and only about three strands of the wire were still intact, so it wasn't sending enough power to the neutral light/sensor to convince the bike it was in neutral. So it wouldn't start, at least not without the clutch pulled in. Took about a day to find, and a few minutes to fix at a cost of a few pence for a connector.

Mine does exactly the same, some days it knows what gear I parked it up in, others it’s blank in the little gear indicator box. The wires that are behind the swing arm are right in the way of spray and mud, the plug into the potentiometer I think?! Which is only around £70 part when it eventually fails.

Yours could be another part but it will be a tiny switch somewhere, as long it starts with the clutch pulled in you will okay. Sometimes on side stand mine will cut out because it thinks it’s in gear too. What ever it is it will be cheap to fix, don’t worry about it too much, and enjoy your ride.

Be safe out there everyone.

I replaced the gear position potentiometer on my 06 a couple of years ago. Similar symptoms.
Got a new one from bmw, although there were some used ones around.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

if you read USA forums, the gear readout (from that potentiometer) is a huge & very common problem

When you say wouldn't start, in what way. ?
Engine still turning over fine but not firing up.
Engine not turning over.
Trying to fire but not catching.
Any warnings in the dash?
There are a few other things it could be but with the neutral light problem it's best to start there I suppose.

there was a software update to rework the logic for the side stand safety circuit.... BUT the last revision gives a naff engine map u should avoid

Affects all models in the R, K and F series before construction status
January/February 2007:

Additional functions:
-Optimized computation of fuel-level readout, including valuation of the CAN signals "side-stand switch" and "quantity of fuel injected".

if it thinks its in gear, try pulling the clutch in and starting it. Side stand needs to be up as well.

When you pull the clutch lever, the microswitch on that lever that tells the ECU that "clutch is disengaged and ok to start engine even if in gear" gives a tiny click noise. Worth listening for that to confirm it is ok. This will not stop engine from starting in neutral but in case not in neutral or falsely sensed not in neutral, this switch matters a lot. It can be adjusted using a tiny allen key or removed and cleaned. Click it must!

If you cant fix it or prove it run a live direct to to the solenoid with the ignition on, in neutral see it starts, if so stick a switch in this wire somewhere and your out and about for the rest of Christmas mine has been like this for two or three years, screw the £70+ switch, £3 for a 20A spring loaded toggle switch bodged on the trails someplace in Spain.

If you cant fix it or prove it run a live direct to to the solenoid with the ignition on, in neutral see it starts, if so stick a switch in this wire somewhere and your out and about for the rest of Christmas mine has been like this for two or three years, screw the £70+ switch, £3 for a 20A spring loaded toggle switch bodged on the trails someplace in Spain.

In his other thread he was talking about having a ride out, so despite him not updating this thread I'm going to assume he's got it started now.

Apologies for not responding, been riding with mates everyday! The bike wouldn't start because it thinks it is in gear. Pulling in the clutch makes it start. Apparently it is a sensor/switch at the back of the engine. It has done it three times only when I have washed the bike with a hose the night before. No problem when not washed. Riding in heavy rain makes no difference or wading through water.

I had the oil changed by a BMW guy (ECM in Worthing) who said not to worry about it for now. It is not uncommon on other bikes, mates have had the same issue... even on a Jap bike ;)

Loving the bike, out this morning once again, averaging 100 miles a day with the boys and a lot of fry ups! Learning to really swing it into bends even with winter road conditions... the bike is giving me too much confidence but I am still within limits, I don,t go crazy. I doubt I will ever buy another type of bike. I would love a later model for the summer to keep mint and the miles low and use this 2004 model as a winter bike although it really is in very nice condition, spent 4 hours yesterday cleaning it getting it nearly back into concourse condition... I say nearly with a large pinch of salt sadly!! Takes ages with toothbrushes, wipes, tar remover, zymol wash, painting on ACF-50, spraying on ACF-50, spraying Wurth Ultra 2040 and finally waxing the panels with Zymol (it's just what I have in the garage, I work on classic cars and Defenders mainly for a living working on Rust prevention with Dinitrol products and ACF-50). Will see if I can put a picture up later. Nothing interesting just a bog standard 2004 gs in red. I don,t ride with panniers or horrible top boxes. I do need to get some cheap aux lights, to sort out gps on phone, a rear hugger, some non boot damaging cheap foot rests. BMW stuff ain't cheap is it. With other hobbies it all has to be done on a budget!!

The "switch" at the back of the gearbox for gear position is actually a potentiometer.
The wipers acting on the carbon track are quite sharp and it results in a lot of carbon dust inside the unit.
It is possible to open them up and clean them internally, if you are very careful.

Thanks Mistacat, can it be swapped for a new one easily/cheaply? Presume the mechanic did not have one in stock to do just that. He didn't seem concerned about it, he just said be more careful when cleaning the bike. I hope it won't leave me stranded if it is on its way out.

A bit fiddly to change as the swing arm makes access awkward.
Check you have a very small double hex ring spanner to fit before starting, I think it was something like 1/4" A/F on the early ones but check.
There are just 2 screws, but if sheared you will have to remove the swing arm to remove broken screws.
The early units had a connector on the unit, the later ones had a flying lead to the connector.

OK! Thanks for that... just love riding this bike, compared to horrendous 1990's sports bikes, heavy naked bikes and an FJR, this thing is just great fun. If you had only ever ridden a GS you just wouldn't appreciate how flickerable, comfy, safe, fun and easy it is to ride.. and all for just 3K :thumb. You can see why adventure bikes took over sports tourers, Ewan and Charlie just lit the torch, riders choices did the rest. Another 100 miles today, was feeling tired, over fed and larthargic but after the ride the curry is on, the beers are already downed and the wood burner is glowing... :). Family have just come crashing in through the door :eek:

Thanks for that :thumb2. Looks like he had it in his front room! Just spent 20 mins cleaning mine. Getting to know its nooks and crannies, much easier to do now, I have the tools at hand laid out like surgical instruments starting with a toothbrush wrapped in a cloth which does the trick in between the fins to a wire wheel brush and finally a glass of gin to drink... er and get the grease off :augie

Back
Top Bottom