Strange marks on aluminium top box

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve just noticed these marks on my BMW top box and wondering if anyone has an idea what they could be? I’ve tried wiping with a baby wipe as I don’t want to use anything abrasive on it. To me it looks like salt corrosion but I’d be horrified if that was the case as I’ve only ridden the bike for 140 miles since I bought it and it was washed thoroughly and the case was wiped and dried etc before putting away.

Attachments

• 554749B0-34BB-4B3E-98FB-E3983D3D079C.jpg
    554749B0-34BB-4B3E-98FB-E3983D3D079C.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 476
  • 5BB9F1D5-0DC8-49B2-9D5E-0A1C59252F7E.jpg
    5BB9F1D5-0DC8-49B2-9D5E-0A1C59252F7E.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 438
Corrosion...they all do it

Can’t argue with that answer haha

I’m just surprised it’s so bad after 140 miles of use, might wrap them as a couple of thousand miles in and they’ll be awful at this rate. Only reason I wasn’t sure about it was a friend has the same box and he’s put over 15,000 miles on his in all weathers and the case doesn’t show any major signs of corrosion.

Thanks!

:D Short but true answer! Wrap it they look alot better and protect them as mine are the same as yours. About 100 to get the wrap and Steve Humvee does a really nice set you can do yourself. Bloody annoying I know but Ive seen alot worse after a few months use which isnt good considering the cost of the kit

Mine are still OK after 6000 miles only issue I had with mine is the locks falling out.

Think wrapping is going to be the preferred option, since noticing the marks I'd thorougly cleaned the box and wiped it down in ACF50, went out to the garage yesterday and it's getting worse even with the bike sitting still. Nothing else on the bike affected, just the box. The top of the box is now covered in marks and they are getting worse by the day. I don't mind bikes showing use/age but the box was brand new 150 miles ago and has been cleaned twice already so for it to go like this is quite frustrating.

But at this rate it'll look an absolute state in no time so I'll get it wrapped/stickered asap.

Attachments

• IMG_4880.jpg
    IMG_4880.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 310
It’s bare Aluminium. Going to take a lot of effort to keep on top of.
Either accept the fact or get them wrapped.

Taken from the WWW -

Aluminium corrodes but it does not rust.
Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion.
Aluminium is actually very prone to corrosion.
However, Aluminium corrosion is aluminum oxide,
a very hard material that actually protects the Aluminium from further corrosion.

So leave the fecker alone ;)

You can always polish the surface free of corrosion, then apply some clear coat lacquer (designed for aluminium) and that way it'll stop the corrosion and stay looking fresh. Loads cheaper than even wrapping the boxes. Use Rustolium "Crystal Clear" which is available in spray cans. Job done providing the prep is thorough and you occasionally touch up any damage to the surface. The satin works best imho.

When you say “polish the surface free of corrosion”, what exactly do you mean? I spent a happy hour yesterday with my top box on the patio table, a pair of the wife’s old panties and a tube of Autosol polishing my corroded aluminium top box. Whilst it was certainly cleaner and much shinier when I’d finished, I’m not convinced I got rid of any of the corrosion pitting... does it just need serious amounts of elbow grease to get rid of the corrosion or is there a product dramatically different to Autosol that I should be using?

Back
Top Bottom