Drift Ghost X - internal battery replacement

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone replaced the internal battery on a Ghost X? I think mine has bitten the dust. Won't charge anymore. Battery indicator shows empty after multiple attempts to charge it. Nor will it stay on for long - so the battery indicator is probably right.

I'll have to get inside it I guess. Will report back unless I get some feedback...

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Are you trying to charge it with the external battery connected? If you are take off the external and try again.

Are you trying to charge it with the external battery connected? If you are take off the external and try again.
Thanks for that. Tried with it fitted and without. Still no luck . It runs just fine when it's plugged it...

Have upgraded to the latest firmware also...

Update:

I fixed this! I decided to make an attempt to revive the internal battery in the hope it had just lost so much charge that the charger wouldn't recognise it. It worked!

It means getting the side panel off, but you don't need to remove the battery, it's possible to 'jump start' it from the little lead coming from it.

Might be useful for anyone else bumping into the same issue

Have a lithium battery in my motorcycle. Had a similar problem once when the battery fully discharged. The charger wouldn’t recognise it.
The fix was to connect a small 9v battery in parallel to get the charger to start charging the 12v bike battery.
Something similar might work, depending on the voltages, on other lithium type batteries.
Tom

Drift battery charging

Update:

I fixed this! I decided to make an attempt to revive the internal battery in the hope it had just lost so much charge that the charger wouldn't recognise it. It worked!

It means getting the side panel off, but you don't need to remove the battery, it's possible to 'jump start' it from the little lead coming from it.

Might be useful for anyone else bumping into the same issue

I got a new Drift Ghost XL for Chrimbo - I'm having a bit of a struggle with the battery and the Drift Life App. The app was freezing - I found that turning off screen lock on my phone helped prevent the app freezing.

Drift support are pretty good and emailed me some reset instructions when the camera woudn't charge or turn on.

"Steps to active the battery:

1. Reset the camera.
2. Plug the charger, and unplug.
3. Plug the charger again."

This worked for me the first time, I also found that whilst I got a quicker charge from a dedicated charger, if the battery was very dead an overnight trickle charge from the USB on the comuter helped get it going again.

I did managage to freeze the whole thing up again and the second time around they sent me some software to burn the camera again. This is different from updating the firmware; they sent me a link to download an .EXE file with a small software package to re-burn the camera; this seems to have done the trick.

The jury is still out as far as the whole camera is concerned, there are aspects of the set up I really like but it is frustrating when the camera freezes up or won't charge. I've shared my frustrations with Drift and will see how they respond.

Back
Top Bottom