Slow route calculation on my PC using BaseCamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could be my rubbish computer ..It says installed memeory ram 8.00gb 7.89 usable...I only have ever used comp for pictures and coming on here.Maybe its time to upgrade.

Nothing wrong with that amount of ram would be interesting to know what cpu it has. it should be above installed memory next to processor

Are you absolutely certain you have the maps loaded locally and aren't trying to use the ones on the device?

Click on Maps > Installed Maps Info without your device connected.

to check the above there should be a tick in the box next to the map version as pic shows

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 107
Nothing wrong with that amount of ram would be interesting to know what cpu it has. it should be above installed memory next to processor

It says i3-2120 cpu whatever that means :nenau

That means you have no local maps installed, so when you're using Basecamp, it's actually using the maps on your device via the (very slow) USB connection.

mine is ticked global map ?

that's your problem - hook up the Garmin and start Garmin Express. Complete any updates. Click "map options" and select load maps to computer. Disconnect your Garmin from the PC. Fire up Basecamp without the Garmin connected and ensure that CN Europe is ticked.

before doing any of the above just make sure you do not have a map set there already and if you have put a tick in the box next to it. if not update using garmin express. your i3 cpu is plenty quick enough for the job.

Thanks everyone for all your help,I didn't have garmin express loaded as i thought i only needed basecamp and also someone told me that's all i needed for updates..Loaded garmin express now and will plug my garmin onto comp tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted.But dont hold your breath :D

Chris,

Here is what I think is happening at the moment.

1. You are plugging your GPS device into your computer. Your device has the detailed maps installed, which you can see in your picture here:

6bfc5a8d077fa44992c522c8148577f7.plist

2. When you ask your computer to give you the route it is having to use, not its own brain, but the much smaller brain in your GPS device to make the calculation. In short, it can’t manage it

Without your GPS device attached, we need to ascertain what maps you have installed on your computer. I don’t have a PC but I guess you find out by clicking on the ‘maps’ button, here:

28d218f45db7be00c00d56e7ee086069.plist

What does that tell you? Are any detailed maps listed? If you zoom in on say a big town or city, are all the small streets shown?

If the answer is no, then there is a very good chance your computer does not have the detailed maps installed or they are not active. To cure this is relatively easy but first tell us the answer to the questions above, please.

Ok Richard thanks. Will do it tomorrow

Ok,With garmin plugged in my maps come up and showing smaller roads when i zoom in and can do a short route.Once i unplug it maps disappear and just global maps is there.I have downloaded garmin express and its saying my garmin is up to date.Presume from this that my maps are not installed on my computer ?
Chris

Hello...

It sounds like the computer only has the base maps installed. Let’s check....

Without the device connected, check by clicking on the maps button, please. Do you see a full drop down list of all the installed maps? If you do, which ones are they? Post a picture if possible.

If the detailed maps are not installed, we (ie you) can install them using Garmin Express. Watch this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EhW5hHb_uH4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At some point you will see an option to ‘Reinstall maps’.

f941baa25e714eb344549f55061b21ec.plist

Chose, the install to computer only option, or words something like that.

One tip.

Whenever I update my maps, I always chose ‘Install to device AND to computer’. Why?

Whilst it might take a bit longer to do, it ensures that the map is the same on my computer and on my device. This cuts out one possible area for errors to creep in. It also means that I can plot a route on my computer, using the detailed maps, without having to attach my device each time.

Second tip.

Each time I update the maps, I delete any older maps still on my computer. Why? Because I do no need them. To delete the old maps safely on my Mac, I use Garmin’s map editor as it does it all for me.

This is what is showing now.Will start to do as you say now to install map

Attachments

• 20191231_110556 (2).jpg
    20191231_110556 (2).jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 142
installing map

Attachments

• 20191231_111854 (2).jpg
    20191231_111854 (2).jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 119
When downloading your maps and instaling them dependant on conection speed (broadband) it could take a while, hours for some people as the maps are 4gb plus in size, so once the process has started leave it alone.

Looks like you are cooking with gas now.

So when i have done that map should be on basecamp without me having to plug garmin in ?

So when i have done that map should be on basecamp without me having to plug garmin in ?

You may need to open up the map drop down and put a tick next to it as in the picture i posted earlier but thats about it. you can then create as many detailed routes as you want quickly and when you are ready plug your device in and send the routes to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom