Slow route calculation on my PC using BaseCamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
.Presume from this that my maps are not installed on my computer ?
Chris

No

When you go to Garmin Express for a map update, you should click on "Details" and select the option to load the maps onto your device and your computer. The default is to merely load them onto your device

Finally with everyone's help its now done :beerjug: Just did a route from Rotterdam to Berchtesgaden and took a couple of minutes.Just need to figure out how to change to miles and send to my garmin.Also if i want to go to a destination lets say Austria and unsure of where loads of options are coming up to choose from how do you lads do it ?

Finally with everyone's help its now done :beerjug:

Hoorah!

.Just need to figure out how to change to miles and send to my garmin.

I think changing from km's to miles will be in 'Route properties' or somewhere like that. I have a Mac not a PC but there sould be a way to change things like the colour of the route and stuff like that.

Just need to figure out how to change.... if i want to go to a destination lets say Austria and unsure of where loads of options are coming up to choose from how do you lads do it ?

There are loads of really good self-help videos on YouTube, I suggest a happy 30 minutes or so watching them. There is a bunch of stickies here on UKGSer, too

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/455445-Some-good-BaseCamp-tutorial-videos

I don't know what you mean by "Loads of options are coming up" means. Can you take a picture? Best advice here is to break each question into separate threads.

I think he is talking about the search sidebar.
I never managed to understand its functionality fully either.

It should search within a certain radius around your center of interest.
But searching major cities/towns (for example) only brings on loads of unrelated results.

Lets say if i want to get to birmingham its giving a few options.Does it on basecamp and garmin.Just wanted to know what other people do ?
Richard i will watch the videos will be good to able to use it properly.

Attachments

• 20191231_145238 (2).jpg
    20191231_145238 (2).jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 112
Aha, I see what you mean.

The search function can be a little odd. Play around with it. You’ll get the hang of it, I’m sure. But first, get used to using BaseCamp, it really isn’t the monster people think it is. Lots would have given up well before you, cursing Garmin, when in fact the detailed maps hadn’t been installed.

As if proof that the answer is always out there were ever in doubt....

Google: Garmin BaseCamp km to miles

Answer: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qOrTcdDyddY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GPS City do some other quite good videos, too.

And done :thumb:thumb Like you say i need to play around with it .
Now my next problem is :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great.

Enjoy plotting your holiday routes.... and riding them.

One more tip. Don’t load a route that is several days’ ride long into your device, not least as it serves no useful purpose to do it. Break it up into day long chunks, ending each roughly (or better still exactly) where you want to be at the end of each day.

You have a Nav VI which is a very capable device but even that might get slow if it has to do a recalculation every five minutes when (if) you go off route. Your BaseCamp software, coupled to the six, can take day by day routes in date order, just like a calendar or diary entry. This means that day’s ride will always appear first in the Trip app. You can even ascribe a departure time for each, so they’ll appear chronologically, too.

Get used to naming your trips, calling them with something that will mean something to you when you are miles from home, too.

No

When you go to Garmin Express for a map update, you should click on "Details" and select the option to load the maps onto your device and your computer. The default is to merely load them onto your device

i think you will find at the point he is at in the picture he posted that he has already done that, that is why i replied with QUOTE (You may need to open up the map drop down and put a tick next to it as in the picture i posted earlier but thats about it. you can then create as many detailed routes as you want quickly and when you are ready plug your device in and send the routes to it.)

Glad you got there in the end, now just mess around with it and familiarize yourself with it any questions just fire away.

Glad you got there in the end, now just mess around with it and familiarize yourself with it any questions just fire away.

ha ha cheers Lee.Could be a long topic :beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom