After 3 yaers on my 2016 R Nine T

Boxerlust

Reaction score
...I finally sold her.Bought her new in spring 2017 and put as much money into aftermarket parts as the bike costed me new...:eek: WE rode 10 K miles together and despite my long legs I found her comfortable on longer trips.
Main modifications had been BMW forged wheels like on the HP2-S,Ohlins fork,shock,steering dampener,Wunderlich S-fairing,Hepco-Becker Journey bags and luggage rack,Gilles Tooling rearsets as also Wunderlich stand and Akrapovic sport exhaust and LED headlight.
A beautiful bike that also sounded beautiful.I thought the only bike I would keep 'til the last day...but.
I got to ride a used R1200R that does not look as good but rode such much better...Telelever with a clapped out shock still beats a Ohlins fork costing 3 grand...The shocking truth despite all the magazines bubbling the usual B.S about T-L.
She had to go because beauty is only skin deep...;)
I hope if BMW overhauls the R9T , T-L will be part of the package...:thumby:
As also hard luggage,centerstand and tubeless wire wheels right from the factory !

Have you ever bought a bike and just ridden it? You seem to seek an elusive 'something'.

Davey for me the bike the stock R Nine T was unrideable…
Heavy tubed wheels made the bike very slow steering and the primitive suspension very poorly suspended on bad roads.
And having a flat with tubed wheels in combination with no centerstand means the end of any trip because how do you get the wheel off to fix the flat.
Where do you carry tubes,pump and tire irons without hardbags ?
And without a fairing riding becomes tiring.
That is why I did not her leave alone but when I rode a R1200R a friend it reminded me how much better Telelever is even compared to a Ohlins fork costing 3 grand...she had to go despite being good looking...;)

Heavy tubed wheels made the bike very slow steering and the primitive suspension very poorly suspended on bad roads.
And having a flat with tubed wheels in combination with no centerstand means the end of any trip because how do you get the wheel off to fix the flat.
That is why I did not her leave alone but when I rode a R1200R a friend it reminded me how much better Telelever is even compared to a Ohlins fork costing 3 grand...she had to go despite being good looking...;)

everything you say is true ,but lets be honest they are one sexy looking bike

Exactly the same as my experiences with the rnineT. Although you kept hold of yours a lot longer than I did

Couple of things, I presume the OP means the old r1200R having TL cause the newer version certainly doesn't. Secondly, I'm about to buy a Scrambler and the more I here people going on about the suspension the more I'm concerned.

I had two. Wonderful on short trips, get the feel good factor, plus it’s the bike they all look at in the car park. Longer journeys called for planning, minimal packing and Ibuprofen. The Picos last Sept finally made my mind up to go back to a GS.

If I could afford two bikes then would definitely have another and use as it’s designed for, scratching around.

Couple of things, I presume the OP means the old r1200R having TL cause the newer version certainly doesn't. Secondly, I'm about to buy a Scrambler and the more I here people going on about the suspension the more I'm concerned.

Try the Scrambler and the Classic. Even the dealer advised me you could feel the difference in the set up and how the Scrambler was a bit more ‘basic’.

You're right to be concerned but as long as you buy a good second hand one (and there are plenty about) and allow to spend a bit on it they can make a fine handling fun bike. They were originally sold as a bike to customise a that is what you need to do , just depends how far you want to go. I have a 2014 ( classic ?) Which i've proberbly spent £5000 - £6000 on and love riding but i got it cheap off ebay so that makes it a bit more palatable.

I'm running stock Scrambler stuff and for a bike to bimble about on its perfectly acceptable I think

I admire customs etc but I don't feel the need to mod mine for what is essentially a toy for me.

Oh that bike above is beautiful by the way...………….

Enjoy the new bike,
Like many coming to the R 9t (standard model) i found the rear suspension harsh,
the seating position suited me and was comfortable for touring, including euro trips,
The tele lever front does inspire confidence compared to regular forks which give more feedback,
Everything else including the old school looks and old R1200 drivetrain with genuine character,
Make a nice package up to 70 mph, its sold as a naked roadster keep the speed down and it all works,
Many of us have ridden the gs etc which are very capable on varied roads over long distances easy,
The familiar drivetrain raises expectations linked to the gs,
It doesn't deliver when compared,
Comfort is a personal thing, the footpegs can be in the way feet down, ride is firm, , no wind protection,
For me the 9 t is a one bike garage and does everything and a lot of fun up to 70 mph,
I had to give up the gs on health grounds, and do prefer the old engine drivetrain, and wanted a BMW,
So my bias if you see one is i needed it to work out , luckily ride position and seat are ok for me,
i fitted a rear shock and did the blue peter sticky tape tubeless conversion, handling and ride is pretty good ,
Many years ago i toured europe on 600 sport bikes with rucksack and tank bag,
so coming away from the three wardrobe gs luggage + options required some realistic thinking,
resulting in some temporary touring luggage screen options, as it is primarily a retro roadster for me,
Farkling isnt essential but we do it,,,the cost is part of that cherry on the cake,
Having a good long or more than one test ride will confirm the reasons some do and dont keep the bike,
Roamer,

Back
Top Bottom