Winter gloves, what’s really good ?

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A sadly passed away friend, who had been a motorcycle police officer, when asked recommended Rukka Argosaurus gloves, so I bought a pair. Warm, great fit and dry, but sadly after about a year the plastic protector on both gloves, possibly the Scaphoid guard cracked, so I took them back and the supplying shop exchanged them for another pair.

Now some years later the same has reoccurred, so I guess there is an issue and i now see these gloves are now on sale, so I suspect they will be replaced with a later model.

In all other respects the gloves are in good condition.

What do people recommend for winter gauntlet gloves ?

Rukka Imatra

superb and combined with hand guards I have not needed the heated grips on despite almost 0deg temps and high speed riding

Now some years later the same has reoccurred

How many years is ‘some’?

Have you tried exchanging them again?

From memory, the warranty on Rukka gloves is two years. I have half an idea that it is extendable to a third year by registering the product.

Anyway, I have always been very happy with my Rukka gloves of all sorts and seasons.

Rukka Apollo gloves me have ... at least 10 yrs old and only just showing signs of wear ... daily commutes to the smoke ... used at work and all over bits of Europe .. still have them .. good as gold :)

I’ve just started using a pair of Rukka Chamb 3 which are essentially a lobster type of glove but fit a lot better than the old Heine Gericke Pathans ever did. They seem warm enough and should be dry because they’re Goretex but I’ve not used them in the rain yet.

One very good thing is that the lining doesn’t pull out when you take them off because that’s one thing that really wrecks a pair of gloves for me.

I’ve just started using a pair of Rukka Chamb 3 which are essentially a lobster type of glove but fit a lot better than the old Heine Gericke Pathans ever did. They seem warm enough and should be dry because they’re Goretex but I’ve not used them in the rain yet.

One very good thing is that the lining doesn’t pull out when you take them off because that’s one thing that really wrecks a pair of gloves for me.

I have had a pair of these for a couple of years, absolutely superb in the wet and in the cold and if it gets really (& I mean really) cold use a pair of merino glove liners.

I couldn’t upload these earlier, but I can now

Attachments

• B3BA01DD-8CE1-4214-8695-308BD0397E63.jpg
    B3BA01DD-8CE1-4214-8695-308BD0397E63.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 2E154697-4FA7-4C89-B2E7-7B874EC60A2E.jpg
    2E154697-4FA7-4C89-B2E7-7B874EC60A2E.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 409
The lower glove the plastic will fall out sooner or later, there is less than 50% still attached.

Winter gloves, what’s really good ?
was the question.

I have had a pair of these for a couple of years, absolutely superb in the wet and in the cold and if it gets really (& I mean really) cold use a pair of merino glove liners.

I too have some. I can run them with my Powerlet electric liners if I need any extra warmth but it would have to be bloody cold.

The lower glove the plastic will fall out sooner or later, there is less than 50% still attached.

Some gloves, like the lobster claws mentioned above, have all but zero added protection. The trick, if there is one, is to try one’s best not to fall off but still have warm dry hands. If your gloves with the cracked protector (which might just be psychological, rather than truly effective) are still warm, dry and above all comfortable ‘after some years’ then why not carry on using them? Failing that, sell or bin them (they maybe do not owe you much) and perhaps try the lobster claws? They come recommended and recommendations are what you were after.

PS Always take any recommendations (and alternative suggestions) with a pinch of salt:

I have a pair of Rukka Argosaurus, ridden through two winters, near been wet.

If I was commuting a long distance I’d go back to muffs with summer gloves.

I’ve done the Muff thing and agree they are good, but I’m looking for great gloves

Last winter I wore Rukka Argosaurus right through, but the cuff is a bit of a faff with my jackets sleeves.

Rukka Argosaurus gloves... Comfortable, protective and totally waterproof.
Eye-wateringly expensive, but worth every penny.

By searching for the word Argosaurus, I found several that said bods recommended them highly and (naturally enough) lots of recommendations for other makes and styles. As ever, the best thing to do is to try a bunch of gloves on and land on something that fits. It’s a great place to start. Don’t get on with them thereafter? Flog them here and then go back to your Argosaurus, at least you know them. Or follow your own recommendation and strap on the muffs; long or short commute or not.

Richa Arctic - bought used from here - don't get used much as I do the muffs thing in the depths of winter. Really welcome in reserve on a trip if it gets unexpectedly cold and/or very wet. Ride magazine rate them.

Been using Rukka Mars for the past 7 years without any problem, they don't have any hard armour though if that's a must for you.

Update on the Rukka Chamb 3 gloves.

I’ve ridden to Jutland and back over the last few days and my hands were plenty warm enough wearing a pair with Oxford heated grips on 50% and no bar muffs. The lining didn’t pull out at all and if I had to pick a fault it would be that the rubber visor wiper is on the index finger rather than the thumb and wasn’t really much use because you need to smear road shite vertically rather than across the visor.

I've used Alpinestars Goretex Jet-road gloves.

Done me ok for 7 winters (last about 5 winters before worn out)... then becomes Triggers Broom.

Back
Top Bottom