Getting one !

Sorry Micky, looks like I'm not going to make it this year . An opportunity arose for me to get my 690 Enduro out to Bulgaria to do some trail riding and also follow some of the Bulgarian TET...Dent will be the middle weekend :blast
I'm waiting for final confirmation but if it falls apart for whatever reason I'll definitely come to Dent :thumb2

How very dare you ;)

Do it Mike ... just do it :thumby:

:beerjug:

good choice - i did 32,000 trouble free miles on my Gen1 "worldcrosser" and sold it on this forum to a chap in ireland.

it was a fantastic bike - i understand the Gen2 (which you are getting) improved it quite a bit - better instruments and cruise control (although i can't say i'd be that interested in the electronic suspension)

I upgraded the shock spring to a "hyper pro' non-linear rated one and it made a massive difference - still felt fine when solo and mid-preload but if you would the pre-load up to max it made it solid for luggage and pillion, handled really well.

I also bought a screen - the Givi Airflow - which isn't the prettiest thing, it has to be said, but it made open-face touring at any speed a joy in the summer.

I saw and indicated 130mph out of it on the autobahn, with relative ease, too - so it isn't exactly 'slow'

Enjoy

Hope you enjoy your S10 Mike:thumb - good choice.
I'm still enjoying mine - but on the down side, I've just finished doing a valve clearance check and adjustment on my S10 and it's a bit of a nightmare job - not for the faint-hearted.
The old 1150GS is an absolute doddle to do the same jobs on:thumb
Anyway it's done now so that's it for 2 years.
When do you get the S10 Mike?

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beerjug:

I was wrong, it's Ceannabeinne beach just a few miles east of Sangomore....also a bit of a dogging spot according to some locals :eek:. NC500 and all types it brings .

I don't recall the name of the place. It's on the coast road heading west away from Tongue if my memory serves me right. I was on my way to Ullapool having just spent a few days in the Orkney Islands, and feck did it rain :(

I don't recall the name of the place. It's on the coast road heading west away from Tongue if my memory serves me right. I was on my way to Ullapool having just spent a few days in the Orkney Islands, and feck did it rain :(

That’s the beach before Smoo caves/Durness nice spot.

Hope you enjoy your S10 Mike:thumb - good choice.
I'm still enjoying mine - but on the down side, I've just finished doing a valve clearance check and adjustment on my S10 and it's a bit of a nightmare job - not for the faint-hearted.
The old 1150GS is an absolute doddle to do the same jobs on:thumb
Anyway it's done now so that's it for 2 years.
When do you get the S10 Mike?

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Where do I start !!

To cut a long story short...My idea was to do a simple service and then focus on other stuff ( KTM stuff ) but...one of the plugs didn't want to move, at all ! I soaked it with some proper penetrant, got the engine hot but still nothing. So, tried the mix of acetone and ATF and soaked it for another couple of days and it eventually moved...but unfortunately it separated and the electrode came out but the threads are still in there :blast

I know that the head can come off in situ but there were a few bits of rust and corrosion bothering me so I've got everything disconnected ( swing arm out tonight ) and I'll drop the engine at the weekend...and then it's the head off and hand it to the machine shop to sort out. And while the engines out I'll do a valve check, got to be the easiest way :D
I'm also fitting a manual CCT so I don't have to worry about it later at any stage.

I totally agree with you about the 1150, so much easier to work on but I'm getting pretty good damn quickly at finding my way around an S10 now!

I was a bit pissed but looking at the positive side of things I'm going to sort out anything that needed sorting and I'm changing / farkling to exactly the way I want it...although the suspension upgrade will have to wait a while. Over £80 for a head gasket :eek:

And it's also a great way to bond with a new bike !

And while it's apart I've taken the opportunity to send the ECU to Dave at Wiz Performance for some ' tweaks ' and I might also upgrade the clutch basket as it's a 2014 Gen 1 bike.

Sub 15k miles and full Yamaha service history but it hasn't really been used for a couple of years and prior to that I can only assume that it was used through the winter and then parked up outside and left !
Still, it was priced well enough so mustn't grumble :rolleyes:

Anyone got a Madstad bracket and/or pair of Touratech / Holan pannier racks they no longer need ?

That's a bugger - sound like water got past the coil stick seal.

I guess you don't know whether the old Gen1 clutch basket has been changed as yet. Here is a link you may find helpful though ............... https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/barnett-clutch-14-basket-question.18523/

I'll find out this weekend but I assume that seeing that it's a low miles Gen 1 it is likely to still be the original basket. I'm considering just going for the Barnett pressure plate and springs initially as the OEM basket is over £500 alone !

https://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/...MIutrK5cCk5wIVzLHtCh2hqw5bEAQYASABEgJyffD_BwE

:thumb

OEM basket £360 from partzilla a couple of weeks ago - all OK and delivered within 7 days. Easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where do I start !!

To cut a long story short...My idea was to do a simple service and then focus on other stuff ( KTM stuff ) but...one of the plugs didn't want to move, at all ! I soaked it with some proper penetrant, got the engine hot but still nothing. So, tried the mix of acetone and ATF and soaked it for another couple of days and it eventually moved...but unfortunately it separated and the electrode came out but the threads are still in there :blast

I know that the head can come off in situ but there were a few bits of rust and corrosion bothering me so I've got everything disconnected ( swing arm out tonight ) and I'll drop the engine at the weekend...and then it's the head off and hand it to the machine shop to sort out. And while the engines out I'll do a valve check, got to be the easiest way :D
I'm also fitting a manual CCT so I don't have to worry about it later at any stage.

I totally agree with you about the 1150, so much easier to work on but I'm getting pretty good damn quickly at finding my way around an S10 now!

I was a bit pissed but looking at the positive side of things I'm going to sort out anything that needed sorting and I'm changing / farkling to exactly the way I want it...although the suspension upgrade will have to wait a while. Over £80 for a head gasket :eek:

And it's also a great way to bond with a new bike !

Wow Mike, that's a bummer! I think your "system" for bonding with a new bike is a bid extreme:rolleyes:
When I started on my service I was a aware of stories of corroded/siezed coil sticks due to water ingress and when I took mine apart the last coil - next to timing chain - was tight and took a bit of coaxing and once out found corrosion on coil sleeve and the spark plug was badly corroded - but no tighter than the other 3 which were all like new.
When rebuilding I made sure the coil seals were well coated with silicone grease - we'll find out if this helps after another 25K.

I'm also thinking about a re-flash of the ECU (Gen2) at Wiz, but haven't discussed it with them yet.

Hope all goes well...........................Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

OEM basket £360 from partzilla a couple of weeks ago - all OK and delivered within 7 days. Easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good prices, even with adding import duty / vat / and shipping :thumb Added to bookmarks.

I've had problems before when buying from U.S and the goods were faulty, return shipping and time etc but something like a clutch basket is pretty bombproof !
I'll have a think once I get everything re-built and back in the frame...

Wow Mike, that's a bummer! I think your "system" for bonding with a new bike is a bid extreme:rolleyes:
When I started on my service I was a aware of stories of corroded/siezed coil sticks due to water ingress and when I took mine apart the last coil - next to timing chain - was tight and took a bit of coaxing and once out found corrosion on coil sleeve and the spark plug was badly corroded - but no tighter than the other 3 which were all like new.
When rebuilding I made sure the coil seals were well coated with silicone grease - we'll find out if this helps after another 25K.

I'm also thinking about a re-flash of the ECU (Gen2) at Wiz, but haven't discussed it with them yet.

Hope all goes well...........................Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

Funny thing was that the other 3 plugs were pretty much just hand tight ! The problem one was No.2 plug on No.1 cylinder, the one directly in line with the wheel...if it has only been hand tight then any water / salt combination will have worked it's way into the threads and seized the plug.

They'll get put back in with plenty dielectric grease around everything ( except the threads and contacts obviously )...and also a Fenda Extenda to reduce the spray.

I'll take a run down for a cup of tea once I get everything sorted out :thumb2

Cheers,

Mike.

Quite a lot of hassle you chaps are having with these S10,s ,,,,,, what about buying summat easier to work on ,,, something like maybe a GS 1150 :D

Quite a lot of hassle you chaps are having with these S10,s ,,,,,, what about buying summat easier to work on ,,, something like maybe a GS 1150 :D

Em, think we've both still got one of these:rolleyes: - anyway, every time I bump into you Mr. Boatman your on you Tenere:thumb

Cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

Yeah, I only sold one of my 1150 Adventures :D....And I fancied a change anyway :thumb2

Em, think we've both still got one of these:rolleyes: - anyway, every time I bump into you Mr. Boatman your on you Tenere:thumb

Cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

I think that Symon is the only person I've spoken to who didn't get on with the s10 :nenau

Back
Top Bottom