Newbie to biking and a GS

Pastry

Reaction score
Hi all

Learnt to ride at the end of last summer before the big 5 0 this year (one of many midlife crisis) and have owned a RnineT for the last year and have now bought a 2016 alpine 1200GS te. Loving the GS but still a little intimidated by it’s size! Being a short arse I’m going to try a low seat although not sure which brand yet and would welcome feed back on this?

Cheers

Pastry

Attachments

• A72BE6BB-9DB7-49C2-9F72-F60D558D9C51.jpg
    A72BE6BB-9DB7-49C2-9F72-F60D558D9C51.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 352
You will get plenty of feed back on here .. wont have to wait long !! Welcome to the forum ... no doubt you will love your new GS ... looks lovely. Happy New Year to you :)

Hi and welcome.

That your gate ??

:D

Thats a very good point and I do plan some road trips next year. I can just get both feet down so maybe i'll see how I get on with more confidence :thumb

welcome and well done on a great bike choice, sine you are new to biking , have you checked the seat is in the low position ? if so and you still insist on a low seat, i would try the BMW ,just go to your dealer as to use one as a demo, they will have one in the back or can take from another bike, use it for a day ,o see how comfort is ,then you can either eliminate or purchase. another option is to have yours re modelled by a seat coverer, they can insert a gel piece after removing excess foam,which will lower the seat and give you some comfort

welcome and well done on a great bike choice, sine you are new to biking , have you checked the seat is in the low position ? if so and you still insist on a low seat, i would try the BMW ,just go to your dealer as to use one as a demo, they will have one in the back or can take from another bike, use it for a day ,o see how comfort is ,then you can either eliminate or purchase. another option is to have yours re modelled by a seat coverer, they can insert a gel piece after removing excess foam,which will lower the seat and give you some comfort

I have the seat in the low position and have fitted the Wunderlich type bungs. I have been reading other threads on this and looks like I might be able to adjust the suspension settings to lower height slightly? Borrowing a seat from my main dealer is a good idea so will look into that :thumb

It was very helpful thanks. i need to read up on what I can do with suspension settings and the seat re trimming looks great value for money and could be my solution :thumb

Try the BMW low seat for starters as DC said as you may find it ideal, it difficult taking all the padding out and sustaining the comfort of it but its actually not bad.

I had a slightly num arse after the third day of doing 300 miles per day.
I do have a low seat on the low setting with ESA on low and easily touch the floor with half my foot on the floor.

did you but it from a bmw dealer?
if low height was a concern then i am surprised they didnt look for a factory lowered suspension version for you, assuming you would have waited for one to come up.

thats what i did with my gsa, left the requirements and waited for them to find one

Greetings & welcome to the forum....

Plenty of advice given so hopefully you’ll find the ideal solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you but it from a bmw dealer?
if low height was a concern then i am surprised they didnt look for a factory lowered suspension version for you, assuming you would have waited for one to come up.

thats what i did with my gsa, left the requirements and waited for them to find one

Yes I bought it from North Oxford Motorrad. TBH I didn't think height was too much of an issue in the showroom and I got a cracking deal on the bike so the fault lays solely with me.

I struggled with the bulk of RnineT when I first got it and Im flat footed with bent legs on that but it's easy to ride now. I suspect it's just as much my confidence as the height on the GS this time and hopefully a stint on a low seat will boost my confidence enough.

Pastry go back to the dealers with your concern and get them to show you how to lower the bike on the ESA settings , they will be of help i can assure you

I'm about 5' 9" but I've got relatively short legs. I've got a low Sargent seat and had that modified to narrow the nose a bit but even that's not quite enough.

So I bought a BMW low seat and had that reupholstered in leather which is more supportive than the original vinyl and I find that comfortable for most rides.

Attachments

• IMG_3480.jpg
    IMG_3480.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 228
Pastry go back to the dealers with your concern and get them to show you how to lower the bike on the ESA settings , they will be of help i can assure you

I’ve gone through the handbook and can’t find anything about lowering it so I’ll do that :thumb

I'm about 5' 9" but I've got relatively short legs. I've got a low Sargent seat and had that modified to narrow the nose a bit but even that's not quite enough.

So I bought a BMW low seat and had that reupholstered in leather which is more supportive than the original vinyl and I find that comfortable for most rides.

I’m 5’9” with a short leg so the BMW seat sounds promising

Back
Top Bottom