Gear oil behind slave cylinder

kebab

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

First post here please go easy on me😁
Bike: 04 R1150GSA 65k miles
Last year took bike to mechanic to have clutch changed at 50k miles before a 15k mile trip. He also said he changed the gearbox seals as they normaly fail. Recently( in the last 2000miles)my clutch engagement point on the lever changed to where it's engaging to the very end. No clutch slip and fluid in the resevoir was clear. Took slave cylinder off yesterday and found gear oil behind it. The felt on the pushrod was dry.
I've been reading up on changing the seal behind the slave cyl and alot of confusing stuff on how far back the new one should go. Not much info in service manual apart from using a BMW TOOL to push seal. Any experience with this from you legends would be very helpful.

Many thanks and happy holydays!

i did one on my old rockster a few years ago,and yes your right it dosnt go all the way in ,if i remember its about half way down,i also drilled a very tiny hole in the casing just before the seal so if the slave cyclinder ever failed the fluid would drip out of the back of the box and not go down the shaft to the clutch .i suppose the guy to ask is steptoe on here he will have done a thousand i would have thought

I'll state the fecking obvious... Measure the depth of the old seal before you remove it.

Here you go, a PVC fitting is a good material to machine

MuGIRjf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom