Engine Protection Bars

Topcat

Reaction score
Hello I am not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes.
I have a GS1250 and would like to purchase some engine protection bars. There is a myriad of different makes on offer including BMW’s own which is the most expensive but the man at BMW tells me they are designed to bend and not distort the frame should a fall occur. My question is should I raid my piggy bank and buy BMW’s own or are the alternatives suitable.
HappyNew Year

Welcome in. First off if you do go down the engine bar route then make sure they are for the 1250 as IIRC the 1200 ones won't fit as the pots on the 1250 stick out a bit more so be wary of buying knock off ones off evilbay as you might get ones for the 1200 even though the ad says they'll fit.

Anyway I have black SW motech ones on my 1200 which are great and having dropped my previous GS twice at low speed I can say they work plus with a bit of satin black you can't tell and IIRC mine mount mostly on the engine or engine/frame so your salesman may be talking **** :augie

I'm thinking about getting a 1250 and if I do I'll get X heads instead as they're so easy to fit compared to engine bars and IMO look better too, plus if you do drop it you can buy the left or right one separately :beerjug:

https://www.nippynormans.com/x-head...models-pair-r1250gs1250adv-r1250rt1250rs1250r

i Have the BMW ones on my1250. look good and hopefully will save any low spill major damage. i sorted a " deal " with BMW dealership when i purchased the bike. as above the 1200s won't fit , but look exactly the same, so be careful if buying secondhand

No, it's not the right place.

And myriad does not get a quantifier.....there are myriad whatevers, not there is a myriad of whatevers.

Hello, by the way...and happy New Year. :D

HEED are a very good choice
, I have used them on my LC and now on Tenere 1200, heavy construction. all bolts and brackets supplied.
Very good finish, ordered from Poland delivered 2 days later.

Back
Top Bottom