800GS rear brake carrier - cracked!!! Potentially 650GS and 700GS

alex_rsa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Cannot see this issue being raised before but I have an old (2008 model) and this fatigue issue may start to become a problem similar to the 1200GS rear wheel hub.

While cleaning the rear caliper and sliders and noticed a crack on the brake pad mounting. The crack runs right though the casting and if it fails the brake pad could come out of the carrier.

I have not seen the issue raised before so I will contact BMW but for all the 800GS (and I think 700GS and 650GS as the part is the same) check the carrier very carefully.

I have included photos of the cracks as attachments. The crack did not look as obvious as in the photos as it was covered in brake dust and grime.

Thanks

Alex

Attachments

• top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 241
  • bottom view.jpg
    bottom view.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 209
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 257
Offhand I would say that this is not so much the result of fatigue but rather the result of a seized sliding caliper pin which is very common on these bikes if one does not regularly clean and lube the pin. When the caliper can't slide it can exert considerable lateral force on the carrier when the brake is applied.

Well done to see this, hopefully others will look and comment on the condition of theirs.

Agree with the seized pins causing issues but i am not sure the force would be were it has cracked. For reference i did replace the caliper about 4 years ago because the piston was stuck, not the sliders.

Back
Top Bottom