Operation engine swap.

WC clutch swap is a piece of p#ss as it only needs front engine cover removal , it is the alternator which is a pain as it is on the back of the motor

WC clutch swap is a piece of p#ss as it only needs front engine cover removal , it is the alternator which is a pain as it is on the back of the motor

No different to doing a clutch on a hex or TC

What?.. so you are saying the clutch on a Hex and TC are on the front of the engine?.. look again.. :confused:

I think what is meant here is WC alternator replacement = Hex/TC clutch replacement in terms of effort, both being at the back of the engine.

The ‘new’ engine comes complete with gearbox and clutch, being low mileage it should be ok.
Is it worth messing with the alternator as it is a 2017 engine done 16000 miles?

What?.. so you are saying the clutch on a Hex and TC are on the front of the engine?.. look again.. :confused:

You Plum, :jibber the Rear!

Hexhead & TC - Clutch at rear, Alternator at front - Subframe & gearbox off to change clutch

New wethead Clutch at front, Alternator at rear Subframe & gearbox off to change Alternator

I think what is meant here is WC alternator replacement = Hex/TC clutch replacement in terms of effort, both being at the back of the engine.

Indeed, what you gain with the clutch at the front, you loose with the alternator being at the rear :)

Would pay to get the frame powder coated/galvanised while it’s apart.
You WILL get corrosion

agreed - this is a good opportunity to check it over and even if it just ends up rubbed down and touched up to remove any corrosion spots, then cover in ACF50.

you will rarely get access like this again (assuming all goes well with the engine transplant!)

subscribed and looking forward to this thread!

You Plum, :jibber the Rear!

Hexhead & TC - Clutch at rear, Alternator at front - Subframe & gearbox off to change clutch

New wethead Clutch at front, Alternator at rear Subframe & gearbox off to change Alternator

LOL... let's hope we don't have to change as many Alternators as you might Clutches Then ;)

The ‘new’ engine comes complete with gearbox and clutch, being low mileage it should be ok.
Is it worth messing with the alternator as it is a 2017 engine done 16000 miles?

Nope, just bung it straight in !!

Feed me an engine!:drool

Attachments

• D4E4E4D5-F028-4B08-A756-A0F732E910C0.jpg
    D4E4E4D5-F028-4B08-A756-A0F732E910C0.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 963
What bike lift is that? Looks nice and compact. Good luck with the transplant.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

It is a Solo. Has a hand winch to lift it. You can also get them with an electric winch but the hand winch is light work so no need for electric.
Nice and light and compact to store when not in use.
I have rigged up an overhead winch for engine manoeuvring.

Does anyone know if there is a static way of checking the alternator on the engine before it goes in?
No reason to think there will be any issues.
Multimeter testing etc? :nenau

Does anyone know if there is a static way of checking the alternator on the engine before it goes in?
No reason to think there will be any issues.
Multimeter testing etc? :nenau

There must be a coil resistance check and a check to earth, but not sure what it is. Just check all banks are the same? are they 3 phase?.. last one I did was on a CX500 and that was... all very interesting. That was an engine out job also....

Sure someone will know.

It is a Solo. Has a hand winch to lift it. You can also get them with an electric winch but the hand winch is light work so no need for electric.
Nice and light and compact to store when not in use.
I have rigged up an overhead winch for engine manoeuvring.
Thanks Neil.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom