Operation engine swap.

Does anyone know if there is a static way of checking the alternator on the engine before it goes in?
No reason to think there will be any issues.
Multimeter testing etc? :nenau

If I had any doubts about the alternator before installing the replacment engine I'd swap the alternator with the one from the original engine

If I had any doubts about the alternator before installing the replacment engine I'd swap the alternator with the one from the original engine
I don’t have any doubts and I am sure that the new low mileage one will be a better bet than the older one.
Just wondered if there was a simple test to do whilst the engine was out?

Engine arrived and wished up ready for install.
Lovely new looking engine.
No time until weekend to have a go at it..

Attachments

• 40D1F997-3685-4C93-B5C7-A880471CA3E5.jpg
    40D1F997-3685-4C93-B5C7-A880471CA3E5.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 678
looks nice a clean... should be looked after I'd guess.. how many miles?

looks nice a clean... should be looked after I'd guess.. how many miles?
16000. 2017.
As mentioned above, the only difference is a slightly longer internal shaft on the starter motor. I believed they improved the gearbox for the 2017 model. Engine comes complete with starter, so not an issue.

Attachments

• E62ED592-6589-4C02-AA40-9498BCE4BBB1.jpg
    E62ED592-6589-4C02-AA40-9498BCE4BBB1.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 680
Excellent glad it turned up, for a while i thought you'd been conned, looks in great condition :thumb2

Excellent glad it turned up, for a while i thought you'd been conned, looks in great condition :thumb2

+1 I think we all thought you may have been ripped off.

have you had a gander down the plug holes to make sure all is intact ?

If possible id have the front cover off and make sure it turns over before fitting it

just clip a set of jump leads to the starter and an earth ,use the car battery ,you will soon see if it turns over ok

I am thinking of swapping both throttle bodies as the black paint on them is flakey and as they are on show would be better with newer ones.
My part number is 8564958. Most for sale, and in good condition are part number 7728929. They seem to be advertised for the same year bike, 2013 to 2018.
I don’t want to confuse the ecu when it is put back together.
I could always paint the originals, but prefer newer, less used ones to complement the engine etc.

I am thinking of swapping both throttle bodies as the black paint on them is flakey and as they are on show would be better with newer ones.
My part number is 8564958. Most for sale, and in good condition are part number 7728929. They seem to be advertised for the same year bike, 2013 to 2018.
I don’t want to confuse the ecu when it is put back together.
I could always paint the originals, but prefer newer, less used ones to complement the engine etc.

Maybe one step at a time.. you can do these after.... I'd want to get the engine in and running okay before doing anything else... Otherwise your not going to know where to look if you get issues ;)

Maybe one step at a time.. you can do these after.... I'd want to get the engine in and running okay before doing anything else... Otherwise your not going to know where to look if you get issues ;)

good advice i would say

Good advice. I am going to paint them and put them back on. I can always do that in the future if needed.
I have also removed the 2 blue fairing pieces, as it didn’t look bear enough!, and have took them to be repainted in BMW black. Wasn’t keen on the dull blue. In for a penny!

just clip a set of jump leads to the starter and an earth ,use the car battery ,you will soon see if it turns over ok
Turned over well on the starter motor, so ready for the big install tomorrow.
I will keep you chaps posted on progress.

More pictures please:D

Made a start today.
These engines are bloody heavy!
All going well so far. Engine in. Just got the put everything back now.
A couple of things have stumped us so far, but will resume tomorrow. The first is, if you look at the first photo, what is that lead and where does it connect? Both ends shown. I think it may be the oil level temperature sensor. Just can’t find the other end!
The second issue is that the clutch lever is very stiff. Don’t know if there is something stuck in the mechanism or an hydraulic issue!!
Need to get the clutch issue sorted before we go any further...

Attachments

• 2A78C2C8-AE1C-4CF0-84BD-2B01C7F33AF7.jpg
    2A78C2C8-AE1C-4CF0-84BD-2B01C7F33AF7.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 70EF618C-C1CA-4587-87BB-ED81A3E500EE.jpg
    70EF618C-C1CA-4587-87BB-ED81A3E500EE.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 752
  • 6A82B746-9072-48F2-BA30-6D1C00F3849A.jpg
    6A82B746-9072-48F2-BA30-6D1C00F3849A.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 732
Clutch plates could just be stuck together from sitting for a long time dry.

How long was engine on the shelf prior to purchase ?

That’ll be the falangy. You don’t need that, so just chuck it. :D

Back
Top Bottom