Operation engine swap.

Well solved the wiring plug. It was the oil sensor that goes across to the other side of the bike!
The clutch issue appear to be a pushrod issue.
The 2 long pushrods in my old 2015 engine, stick out of the engine about 5mms meaning the slave cylinder in pushed in slightly when mounted . This allows the rods to be pushed in by operating the clutch lever.
The 2017 engine however is slightly different in that when both pushrods are inserted, the last one in only flush with no protrusion , hence no pushing the slave cylinder allowing it to work .
Anyone know if 2017 model has longer pushrods to account for this .
See phots showing different protrusion with rods inserted in the 2 different engines.

Attachments

• 8489242D-73DE-4A7D-842F-F3B4FB05AA4C.jpg
    8489242D-73DE-4A7D-842F-F3B4FB05AA4C.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 59DFD69B-5D0B-45B8-9EF1-018EC00D6382.jpg
    59DFD69B-5D0B-45B8-9EF1-018EC00D6382.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 665
Get someone to machine an extension to the push rod? Concave at one end so it fits over the existing tube? Or just make a new push rod of the appropriate length?

Dont you just put the 15 rod in the 17 engine if you are using the 15 cylinder? Maybe I'm missing something?
Which bit has changed?.. cylinder or clutch.. I know the rods changes a bit but not that much I don't think??

Dont you just put the 15 rod in the 17 engine if you are using the 15 cylinder? Maybe I'm missing something?
Which bit has changed?.. cylinder or clutch.. I know the rods changes a bit but not that much I don't think??

I have tried the 15 rods(2of them) in the 17 engine but appears about 5 mm too short. Do not have 2017 rods to try as the engine came without clutch slave cylinder so used the 15 one. Looks like a call to Bmw tomw to enquire about rods!
Job grinded to a halt as I don’t want to put everything else one the bike until the clutch is sorted..

I have tried the 15 rods(2of them) in the 17 engine but appears about 5 mm too short. Do not have 2017 rods to try as the engine came without clutch slave cylinder so used the 15 one. Looks like a call to Bmw tomw to enquire about rods!
Job grinded to a halt as I don’t want to put everything else one the bike until the clutch is sorted..

Okay, get what your problem is now.. yes, the 2017 rod is longer, but didn't think by 5mm.. unless they changed the slave at the same time. Sure a 17 rod will solve your problem. I have the same set up in my 89 FXR, changed the clutch on that and ended up machining one so it worked, out of an old V8 pushrod LOL... let me know if you get stuck ;)

A few on e-bay in the UK, but this one gives sizes if it helps? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rod-Push...836537&hash=item23ca128609:g:gB8AAOSwTpldwsqF
Only thing it does not tell you is the year it came from :(

Okay, get what your problem is now.. yes, the 2017 rod is longer, but didn't think by 5mm.. unless they changed the slave at the same time. Sure a 17 rod will solve your problem. I have the same set up in my 89 FXR, changed the clutch on that and ended up machining one so it worked, out of an old V8 pushrod LOL... let me know if you get stuck ;)

A few on e-bay in the UK, but this one gives sizes if it helps? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rod-Push...836537&hash=item23ca128609:g:gB8AAOSwTpldwsqF
Only thing it does not tell you is the year it came from :(
That is useful thanks. I will check with dealer tomorrow. Hope it’s just the rod/rods and do not need a new slave cylinder too.
I don’t have any old V8 pushrods lying about!

Well got nowhere today.
BMW parts department are sure that the 2015 and 2017 engines have identical length pushrods with the same part number!
Seems odd that the same 2 pushrods go in further on the 2017 clutch than the 2015. Too far in the 2017 and just right in the old 2015. Don’t know if there may be an issue at the clutch gearbox end.
Can a clutch be stuck open? Can’t see how.
Can’t progress until this one is solved as don’t want to have to take bits off again. :nenau

I don't know if this any help to you. On my 2017 bike it had to go in for a recall on the clutch slave cylinder after about 6 months of ownership.
Something to do with the clutch plates not seperating as expected i seem to remember.

So why give it two part numbers?

11 Rod 185MM 1 21528529956
11 Rod 1 21528564185
only applies to
-- 6-speed transmission silver X 23008567243
-- 6-gear transmission, black X 23008567244

2 rods here for number 11 and I assume the silver / black box number is the gearbox number it applies to.. so when the box number changes, so does the number 11 rod?

I am told all 3 rods are the same length on all engines between 2013 and 2019!
I am going to dealers tomorrow for some bits, so will try and find someone to interrogate!

I am told all 3 rods are the same length on all engines between 2013 and 2019!
I am going to dealers tomorrow for some bits, so will try and find someone to interrogate!

if they are the same.. why do they have 2 different part numbers?

11 Rod 185MM 1 21528529956
11 Rod 1 21528564185

and why are they specific to a gearbox type?

Neil, I have been reading your posts regarding the clutch and I think a clue may be in your post 57 you mention "The second issue is that the clutch lever is very stiff." This suggests to me that you have attached the slave to the engine and tried the clutch. Has the thrust adapter stuck or are you able to remove all three rods? From what you have said it certainly seems that something is sticking and that the lengths of the rods are just a red herring.

Neil, I have been reading your posts regarding the clutch and I think a clue may be in your post 57 you mention "The second issue is that the clutch lever is very stiff." This suggests to me that you have attached the slave to the engine and tried the clutch. Has the thrust adapter stuck or are you able to remove all three rods? From what you have said it certainly seems that something is sticking and that the lengths of the rods are just a red herring.
You are right.
The lever was stiff so I took the slave off again and noticed that the rod did not stick out as far as it did with the 2015 engine.
I have decided to put it all together and try the clutch out later if an issue. It may just be that the 2017 clutch has very little travel compared to 2015, as I know they made some mods to the gearbox in 2017. Fingers crossed.
Any recommendations for sourcing mineral clutch fluid in blue. BMW price is crazy.!
Are the ignition coils sided, as need a new one.?

The good thing about the LC is the clutch is at the front, so i would remove the breastplate and seeing what's going on inside.

Neil, you'll probably find that when you first operated the clutch the rods stuck and then didn't return property. I would probably give the end of the rod a gentle tap with a plastic/bras hammer as a quick sharp tap may free off what is stuck. I know a lot of people on here would probably say not to do this but as a mechanic there are lots of things I would do that others would criticise. But sometime you have to think outside the box.

You are right.
The lever was stiff so I took the slave off again and noticed that the rod did not stick out as far as it did with the 2015 engine.
I have decided to put it all together and try the clutch out later if an issue. It may just be that the 2017 clutch has very little travel compared to 2015, as I know they made some mods to the gearbox in 2017. Fingers crossed.
Any recommendations for sourcing mineral clutch fluid in blue. BMW price is crazy.!
Are the ignition coils sided, as need a new one.?

Look on real oem.com, that will tell you

if you see 4 coils generally the upper 2 are the same & the lower 2 are handed

i belive the later LC bikes only have the upper coils, so not handed

How much is crazy for the blue mineral..

I know you cant mix the different coloured oils in the clutch, but if you are flushing out the system and using new fluid id use Vitamol, V10 which is freely available at a much lower price. However please check that ive not given you duff info. :D

I've had both a 15 bike and now a 17 bike.. and the clutch was just the same IMO

Back
Top Bottom