Operation engine swap.

Well got myself a GS-911 and after clearing the dozens of faults from the previous engine, I was left with only 2.
I assume there is something amiss with the right throttle body?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 22A4A5C5-363B-4000-B811-E3FEB65D9B92.jpg
    22A4A5C5-363B-4000-B811-E3FEB65D9B92.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 619
Original. I clean them up a bit as the paint was flaking.
I am also trying to find a picture of where the 2 pipes go from the top of the right cylinder next to the throttle body, in case I have routed them wrongly! Haynes manual not useful for that... Hopeful cure!

The 2 outlets circled. Where do they go?.

Attachments

• 277F4020-3DAE-4C49-A080-3953527F4EBC.jpg
    277F4020-3DAE-4C49-A080-3953527F4EBC.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 579
When all is done, you get dealer to do software upgrade, and then ride, and then clear codes, and shud be good.

Sorted the throttle issues. It was the multi connector on the right throttle body not all the way home!
So just the clutch issue now. May even be the slave cylinder at fault as it seems to stick . Will have to check if the 2017 one is the same as the 2015 one and the shorter rods are to allow for just very slight travel compared to the 2015 clutch. :nenau

Original. I clean them up a bit as the paint was flaking.
I am also trying to find a picture of where the 2 pipes go from the top of the right cylinder next to the throttle body, in case I have routed them wrongly! Haynes manual not useful for that... Hopeful cure!

The 2 outlets circled. Where do they go?.

Is one of them not a vacum take off and should have a rubber blank on it ? I may be speaking bollocks as my lask bike was a 2013 hexhead and it had vacum blanks on it.

Is one of them not a vacum take off and should have a rubber blank on it ? I may be speaking bollocks as my lask bike was a 2013 hexhead and it had vacum blanks on it.

:nenau. I have a pipe from one to the air box above the throttle body and nothing on the other one! I am sure something should be on it..

Attachments

• D2430897-CA23-47B0-9849-8C01E973D046.jpg
    D2430897-CA23-47B0-9849-8C01E973D046.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 474
:nenau. I have a pipe from one to the air box above the throttle body and nothing on the other one! I am sure something should be on it..

Cant someone check their bike to see what on it ? I cant help im afraid as i have a 1250 and its different. Come on GSers help Neil out by taking a pic of your connectors and let him see whats what. Id still guess its a vacuum take off and the bike wont run worth a damm with the rubber blank missing. I know because my brand new GSA was delivered with one blank missing :blast Took me a while to discover why it kept stalling :rolleyes::D

Neil,

Mine is 2015 GS LC. The connection that you dont have a pipe on has a blanking cap on it.
Just been out and had a look.

Ian

that looks capped on my 2016 GSA - with a shiny black, looks like PVC, cap

Thanks chaps.
A friend of mine has just had a look on his 2018 GSA and his has a pipe that runs up and disappears behind the right hand rad somewhere!
I’ll cap it off for now....

Sorted the throttle issues. It was the multi connector on the right throttle body not all the way home!
So just the clutch issue now. May even be the slave cylinder at fault as it seems to stick . Will have to check if the 2017 one is the same as the 2015 one and the shorter rods are to allow for just very slight travel compared to the 2015 clutch. :nenau

Well, any luck with resolving the clutch issue ? :popcorn

Well, any luck with resolving the clutch issue ? :popcorn

No none at all!
I took delivery of a new slave cylinder today as my old one was a little notchy. Took the bike apart again and fitted it, bled the lines and......... The same. Solid clutch.
I am back to plan A trying to find a longer end pushrod for the 2017 engine. BMW say they are the same but have now found the the ‘black’ 2017 engine has a different part number. 21528564185 , compared to the 2015 engine 21528529956.
No length is stated for the 2017 one, so I have ordered one in the hope it is about 5mm longer than the 2015 one. I have spent 2 days swapping the engine and 3 days faffing with the clutch! :blast

I reckon the solid clutch feeling you are getting is actually the mechanical stop (snap ring) on the slave cylinder itself. The rod just isn't long enough to act upon the clutch pressure plate and springs.

Seems like there is more than 0.5mm missing in the clutch pushrod assembly.

Correct. I go along with that.
I am hoping the rod I have ordered from BMW is longer and allows the cylinder to do some work!

No none at all!
I took delivery of a new slave cylinder today as my old one was a little notchy. Took the bike apart again and fitted it, bled the lines and......... The same. Solid clutch.
I am back to plan A trying to find a longer end pushrod for the 2017 engine. BMW say they are the same but have now found the the ‘black’ 2017 engine has a different part number. 21528564185 , compared to the 2015 engine 21528529956.
No length is stated for the 2017 one, so I have ordered one in the hope it is about 5mm longer than the 2015 one. I have spent 2 days swapping the engine and 3 days faffing with the clutch! :blast

Think your barking up the wrong tree. Both those rods are listed as 185mm and fitting all years of wc 1200.

Considering how easy it is to access the clutch, if it were me that’s where I would be looking.

No none at all!

look at reply 71 & 73! they give the bar two differant numbers from a given gearbox number.. so they must differ otherwise they would not of changed the part number...... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom