Operation engine swap.

Neil12GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As many of you know and have given me some good advice, I am swapping my broken 2015 engine for a low mileage 2017 engine.
The engine is due to arrive here any day by pallet delivery after the Xmas break, so in the mean time I have spent today stripping down my bike. After 6 hours managed to get the engine out..
Will sort everything out now, check everything over, upgrade my tool set, ready for replacement.
The bike now looks very bare and sorry for itself! :eek:

Attachments

• 54BB250C-CD2C-4054-B3D6-2A6289113C09.jpg
    54BB250C-CD2C-4054-B3D6-2A6289113C09.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 1,908
  • B4162B36-B397-4F38-99B1-9C08986A66A5.jpg
    B4162B36-B397-4F38-99B1-9C08986A66A5.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 1,910
Blimey, well done :thumb2 Thats what i call going for it :D

you didn't take the shaft out.. will it go back in without removing it?... just back it onto the coupling I guess?

what happened to the 2015 unit?

you didn't take the shaft out.. will it go back in without removing it?... just back it onto the coupling I guess?

what happened to the 2015 unit?

I undid either end of the shaft to get access. Should just go back into couplings. Hopefully. After a little grease etc.
The old unit is lying on its skateboard on the floor. May just use some of the sensors from it if not on the new engine.
A valve dropped and made a mess of the top of the piston. See post below.

Will be good, engine 2015 is euro 3 and engine 2017 is euro 4 correct, will ECU have problem after maybe.

I’m in, tidy your garage, it’s nearly as messy as mine.

Today’s job, garage tidying.....

Will be good, engine 2015 is euro 3 and engine 2017 is euro 4 correct, will ECU have problem after maybe.
I hope not. I intend to use all sensors from old engine.
I am tidying garage. Full of old engines and bike bits now!

Good luck, that is a major project you have on your hands, you must have a lot more confidence than I sir, well done and I hope it goes well.

If that's what I saw in my garage I'd be in tears!!

I'm in...good luck with the re-build :thumby:

Fortune favours the brave or something like that.... Sometimes wish I had the appropriately sized gonads to do this sort of thing!

Good luck sir..

Good luck with it when the new engine turns up.

You may want to find someone local with a GS911 (or similar) so you can check what error codes it starts throwing up when it is all reconnected etc.

I undid either end of the shaft to get access. Should just go back into couplings. Hopefully. After a little grease etc.
The old unit is lying on its skateboard on the floor. May just use some of the sensors from it if not on the new engine.
A valve dropped and made a mess of the top of the piston. See post below.

Looks an interesing job.. not much left when you take the engine out LOL... good luck, I'm sure it will go well :beerjug:

Good luck with it when the new engine turns up.

You may want to find someone local with a GS911 (or similar) so you can check what error codes it starts throwing up when it is all reconnected etc.

Yes, good idea. Anyone local want to pop over when engine is in to see how many codes we can get??

Courier is still in holiday mode and has promised to pick engine up tomw. So should start the rebuild when it arrives in a few days.
I do like a challenge!! It’s just an involved and heavy jigsaw puzzle!

Good luck with the rebuild.

Are you planning on doing anything else such as a clutch replacement while it’s down this far?

Back
Top Bottom