Starter Motor Loud Knocking...

maywayo

Reaction score
Starter Motor Loud Knocking...

R1200GS 07 65.000 miles

Can Anyone Help?

When I try and start the bike (push start button) I get a very loud bang and knocking noise coming from the starter motor area. The banging noise goes as soon as the engine starts running. (bike runs fine) I have taken the starter motor out and have checked the Fly wheel gear plate inside all the way round. (by putting 6th gear and turning the back wheel all the way round)

There are no signs of the fly wheel plate being bent, loose or any teeth worn.

I replaced the old starter motor with a new one, after a piece eventually broke off when starting the bike too many times with the kocking.

The new starter motor is making the same loud banging noise. I am reluctant to keep turning it over just in case this one breaks as well.

Photos attached.

Thank you in advance.

Is your Battery up to the Job?
I've had a similar thing when the Battery was down on Power and unable to spin the Motor up at the right pace, as well as providing the necessary Spark etc..

Sounds like the starter clutch/ bendix is struggling to disengage? A 45min service might restore it back to normal?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sounds like the starter clutch/ bendix is struggling to disengage? A 45min service might restore it back to normal?

Not if both the old and new ones are doing the same thing.....

Not if both the old and new ones are doing the same thing.....
Apologies. Missed that you changed the starter...

If you dare, would you be able to video one attempt to start (rather than just doing a sound recording - easier to share on here I think)? Might be easier to get an idea of the clattering.

You seem to have excluded everything so far, but if it's not the starter motor, it just has to be the clutch ring gear itself, or it's alignment.

It's done 65k so does the clutch work faultlessly; is it the original or has it been changed recently?

Let's see/hear a video, as suggested already.

Just a thought. It's it possible teeth are missing off the clutch ring gear, that the starter engages with...? Sqibbs post made me wonder

https://youtu.be/HqdVXQZ-Pko

i have removed the spark plug leads and fuel cable so not to firer up engine. please turn your volume up to hear the loud knock. the Battery is 2 years old and may have not the high crack amperage to give the full turn speed it should. going to try with a fully charged spare battery tomorrow.
a friend said hold the clutch in as well?
Please keep coming up with ideas.
i will let you know how i get on with above ideas. Thanks everyone for you support

https://youtu.be/HqdVXQZ-Pko

i have removed the spark plug leads and fuel cable so not to firer up engine. please turn your volume up to hear the loud knock. the Battery is 2 years old and may have not the high crack amperage to give the full turn speed it should. going to try with a fully charged spare battery tomorrow.
a friend said hold the clutch in as well?
Please keep coming up with ideas.
i will let you know how i get on with above ideas. Thanks everyone for you support

Sounds like your battery is fecked.

You have't answered any questions OP.

We need to hear the engine being spun up at normal speed. Maybe remove the plugs so it's not fighting compression?

What I hear at present is a knackered battery struggling & maybe, but I can't be sure, a bit of cam chain/tensioner clatter.

Thanks for the video But I'm with the others, struggling battery it's drowning out most noises.

Just another thought in the replacement starter. Was it new or secondhand? I ask because it is actually possible the three bendix needs some lube and a clean. They get neglected... which can lead to them not disengaging properly.

Meanwhile, yea, try and get a berry battery onto it for another video

Is the small starter motor/engine case locating dowel still in place/fitted ?

If it isn't the starter can move when engaged causing all sorts of noises and problems.

To my untrained and deaf ears lol,

It sounds like the pinion gear on the end of the shaft is slipping.

Almost like one and a bit teeth are missing, so it engages, slips and then re-engages

or it's the bearing in the pinion gear

Prolly wrong though

To my untrained and deaf ears lol,

It sounds like the pinion gear on the end of the shaft is slipping.

Almost like one and a bit teeth are missing, so it engages, slips and then re-engages

or it's the bearing in the pinion gear

Prolly wrong though

What, both of them, including the new replacement starter motor :D

********************** Conclusion *********************

Starter noise caused by a damaged flywheel

After replacing the bike with a new battery.. unfortunately - i am still getting the same loud bang and knocking noise coming from the starter motor area.

Since then i have look on YouTube and have found a video with the same noise and problem. Link below:

Thank you for all your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Ui7CcoUUw

Back
Top Bottom