East end of the Pyrenees to Provence

Wapping

Reaction score
The latest Tourenfahrer magazine has a suggestion for a nice route between the French / Spanish SE border to Provence, via Millau and the gorges.

Worth a look and the route is downloadable as a GPS file, with a tiny bit of effort.

02632aa66b94674f4e4a7f6c368c40e8.jpg

e6fcddd26895faaf93cba36b5a37317a.jpg

Here’s a suggestion. Millau is a ‘must do’ destination; go from there to the Mediterranean coast and pick up the Pyrenees. Ride along the top of the mountains (see sticky) and come home from the Spanish Atlantic ports. One ready made holiday.... just get yourself to Millau.

Meyrueis, marked on the map in the Jonte Gorge is a lovely place to spend a day or two. The restaurants put tables along the riverside which makes for some great alfresco dining.
Plenty of hotels to choose from at different price points.

N106 from Ales to Mende is a lot of fun, steady climbing twisties, grippy turns.... :)

There are amazing roads in the Cevennes. I think I prefer them to the Alps or Pyrenees.

Great area .
Largely undiscovered by Brit bikers .......... until now!

There are amazing roads in the Cevennes. I think I prefer them to the Alps or Pyrenees.

I discovered the region for the first time last year, lacks the scale and variety of the Alps / Pyrenees, but has lots of great roads and comparatively speaking very little traffic (but the Alps in August still has way less traffic than I am used to at any time of year)

I will definitely work it into more trips in future.

For anyone that wants to use it, the full route is now on the Tourenfahrer magazine’s excellent databank.

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/grandes-gorges-919/detail/

The magazine’s databank is excellent:

f066d8eb48b8dcbb1d86d3b823e3edc1.plist

For each route you can access the map:

2e03ec992a29c0d0b3893be235fdd21b.plist

Which is fully zoomable:

2baedc2fcb7ece9e8ba22d6cd0658f7b.png

Which means that, with just a little bit of effort, you could recreate it exactly in Garmin’s BaseCamp / Mapsource or whatever it is that Tom Tom uses.

Alternatively, you can spend EUR 1.99 and download it as a GPS file:

1d084b56d4ddfc1e094e27085609ec1f.plist

If I can do it on my iPad, anyone can do it.

Bingo! A 1,000 km (600 mile) route delivered to you without moving from your armchair.

By happy chance, the first 2020 edition of Motorrad Freizeit magazine has an article on Provence. You could easily join it to the route from the Pyrenees. Bingo! One bloody good tour, with little or no effort.

7b3b9ac25396d6e21cf8627c35083015.plist

To make it even simpler, the Tourcode (shown on the route drawing above) loads straight into the Kurviger app, from where you can download it as a track or a route (I find tracks easier) and into your GPS. How much easier does it have to be?

86463c06b24ef910f9a83f7e175eaa89.plist

If I can do it on an iPad, anyone can. 860 miles of fun in Provence, handed to you on a plate.

some good info there and effort put in, I know that just trying to follow the coast is not the best way.Thank you OP.

St-Remy-de-Provence is (in my entirely subjective opinion) the Frenchest place in France.

The Massif des Maures is full of almost perfect biking roads.

St-Remy-de-Provence is (in my entirely subjective opinion) the Frenchest place in France.

The Massif des Maures is full of almost perfect biking roads.

It can't be the Frenchest. There isn't a McDonalds or O'Taco...

Looks great. Going to be my first trip of the year for a couple of weeks with the mrs.

Considering Cevvennes and Provence for this years trip, with a little dip into the Alps, after last years disappointment of the Izoard being closed due to lycra wearing frogs wanting it all to themselves I feel the need to go and ride it this year instead (one of my faviourites)

So much else around there such as Gorge du Verdon and Mont Ventoux, Vallon Pont d'Arc on way in / out as well, and the Vercors can also be worked in.

In fact you could ride down through the Morvan then take in the Tarn Gorge, Mont Ventoux, Gorge du Verdon, Gorge du Daluis (another of my faves) up the "best" bit of RDGA (The High Passes - Bonnete, Izoard, Galibier L'Iseran) and come via the Doubs, Luxembourg and Ardennes - all with just a week off work (which is exactly what I am planning)

Given two weeks you could also chill out for a few days here and there, have a day at the beach etc.

Considering Cevvennes and Provence for this years trip....

So much else around there such as Gorge du Verdon and Mont Ventoux, Vallon Pont d'Arc on way in / out as well, and the Vercors can also be worked in.

In fact you could ride down through the Morvan then take in the Tarn Gorge, Mont Ventoux, Gorge du Verdon, Gorge du Daluis (another of my faves) up the "best" bit of RDGA (The High Passes - Bonnete, Izoard, Galibier L'Iseran) and come via the Doubs, Luxembourg and Ardennes - all with just a week off work (which is exactly what I am planning)

To show how easy it is to borrow ideas and ‘Do yer own thing, mate’ here is Rasher’s excellent suggestion lobbed into Kurviger with no more thought than putting the places he mentions into some form of logical order, which he’d done anyway.

https://kurv.gr/ZJPFP

Done on nothing more than an iPad.

8b17abe014976818d085d5ad237e68ba.png

To save yourself some time on the way down, you could take the A25 motorway south from Calais to say, Troyes. Then pick up the main road towards Auxerre, to then take yourself down to the Morvan and onwards. Coming back. Pick up the main roads or even the motorways once you get out of the Belgian Ardennes. Dead simple.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom