Oil Warning Light 2012 GSA

StewMcGrew

Reaction score
Me again!

The oil warning light has come on (Red triangle and oil can icon). This came on about 3 weeks ago when the engine was a little over filled.

I have since done a major service on the bike and added exactly 4 litres. I started the bike up and the lights were still on.

I have looked at the sump sight glass and can see the oil level drop when the engine is running.
The engine sounds OK, just normal noises and comes up to temperature at a normal rate.

Next task is to remove the Oil Level Sensor and see if the float is stuck.

My question is, how likely is it for the Oil Level Sensor to fail?

Could it be oil pressure given that I can see the sump drain fairly quickly after start up?

Additionally, the haynes manual talks about a clogged seive near the pump. How complicated is it to remove and clean this?

My plan is to
1. remove the Oil Level Senor and see if the float is stuck.
2. If not stuck, remove the fuel tank (it's got nearly a full tank in it FFS) and decouple the oil sensor connector from the ECU and test the wiring (Haynes manual says to try this)
3. Oil Pressure Check.
4. Dismantle and inpect the pump and sieve.

Is there any steps I can do to check what the issue might be without having to do all these steps?

Please ignore if this is a silly question, but have you checked light status with oil level halfway up sight glass 5 mins after running to temp and switching off with bike only put on centrestand (not side stand)?

Reason I ask is that bike takes less than 4 litres, and you said initial problem was caused by overfill

Yes, I tried that. Took the bike out for any easy ride and to get it up to temp (bmw tech said it would be ok as long as the oil was moving and the engine didnt sound like a bucket of bolts). Stopped it when warm and restarted with the same issue

:(

What does your display read when you scroll to oil level? Needs normal operating temp in neutral and ticking over to display that item.

Yes, I tried that. Took the bike out for any easy ride and to get it up to temp (bmw tech said it would be ok as long as the oil was moving and the engine didnt sound like a bucket of bolts). Stopped it when warm and restarted with the same issue

:(

Oil level was midway sight glass and light still on?

Scroll through your display choices until you get to the oil one, it uses the same sensor to check if level is ok. If the sensor is working it will say "oil ok".
Also check the oil pressure switch.

So I've had the Oil Level Sensor out of the big, checked the resistance between the pins between high and low on the float. There is a diference, so that means the oil sensor is working OK.

Next thing is to check if the Oil Relief valve is stuck open, it's located right next to the oil level sensor. Will do that in the morning and report that

Next step is Oil Pressure check. Ive looked at the wiring for the oil pressure switch and all looks OK at the moment. If the oil pressure reads OK, then I'll replace the oil pressure switch.

Only documenting here in case someone else find it useful in future.

I dare bet it's the oil pressure sender; my 1150 frightened the life out me years ago by doing exactly what yours is doing. New switch = problem solved. :)

Turns out removing the oil pressure relief valve and re inserting it didnt cure the problem.

Started the bike up, no oil pressure warning light, got a mile down the road and it came on again.

Going to phone Bahnstomer in Maidenhead today and order a new oil pressure sender!

FFS!!

Turns out removing the oil pressure relief valve and re inserting it didnt cure the problem.

Started the bike up, no oil pressure warning light, got a mile down the road and it came on again.

Going to phone Bahnstomer in Maidenhead today and order a new oil pressure sender!

FFS!!

I had the same Issue on an old Triumph Triple.
Cleaning the Oil Pressure Switch helped in the short term but it had to be swapped out to cure it completely...

New switch fitted. Test road the bike for an hour last night and the oil pressure warning light went out. Job done!

For future reference, you need to remove the upper and lower cylinder head covers on the left side of the bike.

Pull out the lower spark plug. Disconnect the cable by PINCHING the clip and removing the plug.

Use a 24mm deep socket to remove the oil pressure switch.

Make sure you remove the old crush washer.

Make sure you have the new crush washer on the switch (it should come with it)

Tighten switch to 30Nm.

Put it all together again.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom