Recommend me an external Hd?

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase an external Hd to back up my photos. I have a 500 gb one but want a 2tb or bigger. Standard drive is fine. No need for an Ssd. I don’t need the speed and the drive will live st home on the desk.

Can anyone recommend one at a decent price off amazon? I really don’t trust reviews online. I’m probably not looking at the correct sites but I really prefer first hand experience.

I have a western digital one for a few years now. Thinking of going with another?

WD is fine.

If you use it for backup, I might suggest to consider a RAID enclosure that mirrors the data on both disks.

I’ll buy that WD I saw. I don’t think I need raid. I’ll have the important shots on both HD’s. Just want a big one to dump everything into. I’ll be in bed for the month with a broken ankle and think it’s a good time to go through everything and sort the whole mess out. I’ll check out the raid options though. I’d say they are expensive!

Have a 3TB WD to back things up and all seems good - is it any better than other options? No idea, but it works and wasn't massively expensive.

I think usb 3.0 is faster. You can move big files more efficiently. My old matchbook pro only has usb 2.0

Is it worth going for a USB3.0? What are the benefits?

Providing your laptop interface and the HDD are USB3- then you will benefit when it comes to streaming from the HDD, and also the initial backing up of your laptop files................

But, once you are only doing incremental back-ups - the disparity in speed won't be so significant.

Coincidentally (to the thread) - I just bought a 4TB WD Passport drive (amazon ad on facebook, proving I am an easy target) £80. Plan is to try and get all series/movies and Music vids on the one drive.

Another recommendation for WD portable hard drives; I have a 2TB one that I only use for backing up files & photo's.....it has worked perfectly for years :D

Back
Top Bottom