K1200RS Weeping from Cam Chain Cover

MartinK

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My K1200RS has developed a small weep from the lower left side (when sitting on it) of the cam chain cover - cam side rather than crank side). It looks like a fairly common issue, altho I have had my bike 20 years and this is my first time!

Borrowed pic showing location:
valve_cam_tension_hole.jpg

The manual is not great, so I'm asking for any hints and tips, especially surrounding the procedure, and the work surrounding the cam chain tensioner (which seems to be attached to the cover, not the engine block).

Anyone done this and care to share some pointers?

Thanks

My view would be that if it's a job you need to ask about, it's probably a job to get someone else to do if at all possible. There's an awful lot to go wrong in there...

My view would be that if it's a job you need to ask about, it's probably a job to get someone else to do if at all possible. There's an awful lot to go wrong in there...

It's a straightforward job apart from (1) the cam chain tensioner seems to be attached to the cover and hence needs to be pegged before the cover is removed, and (2) if I remove the crank cover too, there's a gasket in there that looks awkward. Other than that it looks OK. I did the valve clearances myself last time with no real drama

I did this a couple of times at the dealership as the recommendation was to change cam guides at 32K miles If I recall correctly

Its not complicated just tedious! Very bloody tedious!

I do not remember the Cam guides being affixed to the front engine cover

But its been a long time I seem to recall they were bolted to the front of the engine casing

But the rocker cover and crank cover had to come off to get the front cover off HES can be cable tied to the side But mark the position before you take the plate off

We never had to peg anything just change them one at a time and BE careful when doing the one between the cams!!! a couple of Small cable ties on the chain to the cam wheels so they can't jump

A very light smear of a good RTV sealer when rebuilding the cover back on

Well worth checking the Water pump and oil pump shaft condition whilst you are there

Thanks Dr Farkoff, I'll get going once my Shocks come back from Denz0 (doing a few winter jobs on the bike). It's chocked-up now with no shocks installed!

I do have this https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11669/Tensioner (1).pdf

I don;t have the special tools in the BMW manual but by cable-ties on the sprockets it should be ok.

Looks straightforwards. Just the 2 issues i mentioned above. I'll take my time!

Just an update on this. The job is complete, actually quite straightforwards, but a lot of spannering.
normal_sealey%20k12.jpg

All the lower bodywork off, drain fluids, and you can hinge the radiators out of the way to get enough room to get to the bolts on the front engine (camchain) cover. Obviously the rocker cover and sump come off first.
Happily my valve clearances were all OK so I did not have to take the cams out.
The trickiest bits were (1) the electrical connectors for the water pump area and (2) the cam chain tensioner (you have to put a 3mm metal peg - i used a drill bit - in thoery to hold the cam chain tensioner in place but this did not work on desassembly so my spring shot out!)
Took a whole day, but all done now, and oil tight again!
PM me if you are doing something similar and I'm happy to help it I can

Loved all 3 I had...especially the last one in blue and silver. Nice work:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom