EU Insurance fully comp but already abroad!

GSPrincess

Reaction score
Hi all!
I´m working abroad on a temporary basis, so took the opportunity to bring my gorgeous F700GS with me on an adventure to sunny Espana.
However, my work contract has been extended past the 90 days that my insurance covers me fully comprehensive, so although they provide me the minimum cover (third party only, gasp) I´m desperately looking for an option to extend to the full 180 days I can have the vehicle locally on UK plates.

Unfortunately waving cash at my insurer didn´t work (first time for all things right?!) they maintain that I have to bring the bike back into the UK for 24 hours, and then my 90days will reset, which would be exactly the time I need.
I cannot take the time off work to do this though, not to mention the cost.

Anyone have any idea how I can get this resolved?!

Cheers me dears!

PS I have tried local brokers, but as I am not a spanish resident and don´t have a residency number, I am not able to get insurance here.
I am a UK resident, the motorcycle is UK registered and will neither of us will be out of the UK more than 180days as my company does not want to pay for our permenent relocation.

Comply with the terms of the policy you agreed to - it’s really that simple

You’ve already tipped your hand to them, thinking you could schmooze them.......

Welcome, by the way...............

My experience in France might be relevant.

I had no problem getting insurance in France for UK registered vehicles, but only for 6 months. After that the vehicle has to be registered in France (or Spain in your case).

I presume that, since the vehicle is not legally registered in Spain, I'm not surprised they won't insure.

Your options seem to be to return the bike to the UK, register and insure it in Spain or make do with legal risks only cover for the remainder of your stay.

Seems simple to me. Youve been back for the required 24hrs, so please reset my 90 days cover. How would they know ??

I wonder how far an insurance firm would go if it was nicked, damaged or worse...involved in some injury accident. Perhaps ask you for the date of your crossing etc ?

The simplest option is to cancel the current policy, taking the financial penalty this involves, then reinsure with a different underwriter which might give you another 90 days

I wonder how far an insurance firm would go if it was nicked, damaged or worse...involved in some injury accident. Perhaps ask you for the date of your crossing etc ?

Not sure tbh. But they do make it bloody hard for you don’t they. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The simplest option is to cancel the current policy, taking the financial penalty this involves, then reinsure with a different underwriter which might give you another 90 days

Not sure that would work - I suspect that the vehicle needs to be in UK at the policy inception? Sure - it could be falsified, but if anything happens, they may ask for travel documentation.

Not sure tbh. But they do make it bloody hard for you don’t they. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not had an issue...but not had to claim for donkeys years and never been abroad for more than 90 days so that wouldn't have been an issue. Wessie is possibly right (I've never been asked for my location at the time I took out insurance but wonder what the new firm would say if a claim was made and the policy was tajen out when the bike was already abroad?? )

I've not had an issue...but not had to claim for donkeys years and never been abroad for more than 90 days so that wouldn't have been an issue. Wessie is possibly right (I've never been asked for my location at the time I took out insurance but wonder what the new firm would say if a claim was made and the policy was tajen out when the bike was already abroad?? )

My point exactly, what difference does it make ? You could go to all the hasstle of jumping on a ferry coming across the channel hitting terra firma, and calling up insurance and setting up new policy. Then immediately jumping back onto the ferry and buggering off again. Why ? What point does it serve is my question.

My point exactly, what difference does it make ? You could go to all the hasstle of jumping on a ferry coming across the channel hitting terra firma, and calling up insurance and setting up new policy. Then immediately jumping back onto the ferry and buggering off again. Why ? What point does it serve is my question.

For the OP, it wouldn't but I suspect that from an insurance companies point of view, they'll have had folk try every scam available when they realise they aren't covered or have just 'winged it' and it's turned sour. To be able to ride your bike back to the UK it has to be running, not a heap of scrap because you've binned it and realise you aren't covered. (Used to happen on the A153 in Lincolnshire. Lots of bikes got binned there...well they didn't, they got binned at Cadwell and were then wheeled out so the owner could make a claim)
Sorry OP, we're diverting your thread

I haven´t actually 'tipped my hand' I just phoned for general advice, didn´t even give my name, let alone a policy number, even if they had the evidence linked to the phone number, they wouldn´t be able to use it because they did no data protection questions to verify they were speaking to the account holder.

The only evidence of it being abroad is with the ferry company, who I assume would have a record of the vehicle, which I´m sure I´d be asked to provide proof of date of travel in the event of a claim. Whether this would need to be more extensive than a ferry/eurotunnel ticket, I don´t know, but I´m sure the insurance would do everything in their power to refuse the claim. I am mostly worried about theft, not that I´m in a particularly dangerous area, but just because the likelyhood of recovery is very low and to be left paying off a motorcycle that someone else now has the pleasure of riding would be particularly heartbreaking.

The problem locally is not the vehicle, but my status. Because I am working here for a UK company, being paid in the UK, I am not even eligible for a bank account and have no formal Spanish identification, I can´t even get broadband, it´s been a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

I suspect you could ship the bike back as an unaccompanied vehicle then the same back - satisfies the requirement for the bike to be away for no longer than 90 days, you continue to work, the ferry gets increased trade, the insurance company can honour your insurance. Everyone's a winner babe, that's the truth (Hot Chocolate c. 1980?)

I haven´t actually 'tipped my hand' I just phoned for general advice, didn´t even give my name, let alone a policy number, even if they had the evidence linked to the phone number, they wouldn´t be able to use it because they did no data protection questions to verify they were speaking to the account holder.

The only evidence of it being abroad is with the ferry company, who I assume would have a record of the vehicle, which I´m sure I´d be asked to provide proof of date of travel in the event of a claim. Whether this would need to be more extensive than a ferry/eurotunnel ticket, I don´t know, but I´m sure the insurance would do everything in their power to refuse the claim. I am mostly worried about theft, not that I´m in a particularly dangerous area, but just because the likelyhood of recovery is very low and to be left paying off a motorcycle that someone else now has the pleasure of riding would be particularly heartbreaking.

The problem locally is not the vehicle, but my status. Because I am working here for a UK company, being paid in the UK, I am not even eligible for a bank account and have no formal Spanish identification, I can´t even get broadband, it´s been a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

Don't believe this is correct, you can get a Spanish bank account without being employed/paid in Spain - I know, I have one.

You need an NIE, for which you'll need passport and local address (address need not be permanent, can be a hotel) If you don't wish to apply yourself, you can apply via a solicitor, who will charge you some Euro.

O, and I would have another go at your insurer, as a specific enquiry rather than an anonymous "what if"

It must have happened previously, insureds unexpectedly exceeding the 90 days (illness, ferry cancellation etc) & a good insurer ought to be able to respond to such a circumstance.

I would email to get a considered response rather than a phone line when the bod who last week was selling burgers,will just say the policy says ...

That's bollocks.

Until Brexit at least.

Don't believe this is correct, you can get a Spanish bank account without being employed/paid in Spain - I know, I have one.

You need an NIE, for which you'll need passport and local address (address need not be permanent, can be a hotel) If you don't wish to apply yourself, you can apply via a solicitor, who will charge you some Euro.

O, and I would have another go at your insurer, as a specific enquiry rather than an anonymous "what if"

It must have happened previously, insureds unexpectedly exceeding the 90 days (illness, ferry cancellation etc) & a good insurer ought to be able to respond to such a circumstance.

I would email to get a considered response rather than a phone line when the bod who last week was selling burgers,will just say the policy says ...

I mean he checked with a manager, and came back with the 'loophole' that if I return to the UK for 24 hours that the 90days resets, so I think he was as helpful as he could be in the circumstances, I´m reticent to contact them directly and admit the mistake essentially, though I suppose I have nothing to lose at this stage, and considering my alternative option will probably be cancelation in one way or another I suppose it can´t hurt.

Thanks for that wildly useful information... *sigh*
That you've failed to even obtain a bank account, broadband, let alone insure your bike locally, suggests to me that you're approaching the Spanish system as an entitled Brit ex-pat.

There's nothing to stop you getting a bank account, broadband or even to insure your bike locally in Spain.

I mean he checked with a manager, and came back with the 'loophole' that if I return to the UK for 24 hours that the 90days resets, so I think he was as helpful as he could be in the circumstances, I´m reticent to contact them directly and admit the mistake essentially, though I suppose I have nothing to lose at this stage, and considering my alternative option will probably be cancelation in one way or another I suppose it can´t hurt.

Have you read your actual policy document rather than relying on office banter in a call centre? With my Axa policy, the terms states I get 93 days cover in the EU in the duration of the policy year. It states that I can apply for an extension but this is not guaranteed and is subject to an extra premium.

So, call your broker or underwriter to request an extension and if that does not work, bin the current policy and buy a new one as I stated above.

Back
Top Bottom