EU Insurance fully comp but already abroad!

Have you read your actual policy document rather than relying on office banter in a call centre? With my Axa policy, the terms states I get 93 days cover in the EU in the duration of the policy year. It states that I can apply for an extension but this is not guaranteed and is subject to an extra premium.

So, call your broker or underwriter to request an extension and if that does not work, bin the current policy and buy a new one as I stated above.

Yes, most policies from the UK will specify the length of trip, and max days per year. It isn’t their intention to provide (say) an annual policy, which you can use for an unlimited number of days in continental EU.

Do it the right way, otherwise - how can you expect the underwriters to honour their side of the contract.

Yes, most policies from the UK will specify the length of trip, and max days per year. It isn’t their intention to provide (say) an annual policy, which you can use for an unlimited number of days in continental EU.
It is for legal cover. You can stay for unlimited periods in an EU (plus SWI etc) with legal minimum cover.

Have you read your actual policy document rather than relying on office banter in a call centre? With my Axa policy, the terms states I get 93 days cover in the EU in the duration of the policy year. It states that I can apply for an extension but this is not guaranteed and is subject to an extra premium.

So, call your broker or underwriter to request an extension and if that does not work, bin the current policy and buy a new one as I stated above.

My policy states covered for 90 days fully comprehensive, including breakdown. Covered for minimum (third party) thereafter, there is no mention of the ability to extend. But there is also no specification that the motorcycle be in the UK at the time of taking out the policy, so I think I could get a new policy and still be covered.

Be careful. My own policy covers single trips of up to 90 days. So if my trip started 30 days before expiry of my current policy, I would have 60 days cover with my new insurer, if they have the same condition.
Do not imagine, in event of claim, that insurers would not ask for proof of travel dates, i.e. ferry/tunnel bookings

Just check yer policy again Princess = CN who I am with do a 6 wheeler policy that give me 365 cover in Euro for the car but only 90 days max on the bike in any year. Trips with time restraints usually say summat like trip must start and finish from UK too
HTHY

Would the insurers accept taking the bike to Gibraltar for 24 hours?
(Assuming you are in the south of spain that is)

My policy states covered for 90 days fully comprehensive, including breakdown. Covered for minimum (third party) thereafter, there is no mention of the ability to extend. But there is also no specification that the motorcycle be in the UK at the time of taking out the policy, so I think I could get a new policy and still be covered.

Another thought comes to mind: When they ask what address the bike is kept at, and you respond with your home address - I think the fact that it is not kept there (at the time or for an indeterminate period) - I think you are not in compliance with your statement?

But there is also no specification that the motorcycle be in the UK at the time of taking out the policy, so I think I could get a new policy and still be covered.

I can't imagine you'll be open with them and tell them you're already abroad will you ? So deep down you know you're on thin ice and as Blackal says...how do you truthfully answer the 'where will the bike kept?' question.
I'd just be asking myself 'What do I say if something bad happens in 6 weeks that necessitates me ringing the Ins co to claim and they ask 'When did you go to Spain on the bike?''

I think it’s completely unreasonable that an insurer (in Spain or the UK) cannot do exactly what the OP wants, in order to live his life as he sees fit. It’s a disgrace. An outrage, even. An insult to the working man. I mean, why else do we pay our premiums, if not to do exactly as we like thereafter? Something must be done about it.

I think it’s completely unreasonable that an insurer (in Spain or the UK) cannot do exactly what the OP wants, in order to live his life as he sees fit. It’s a disgrace. An outrage, even. An insult to the working man. I mean, why else do we pay our premiums, if not to do exactly as we like thereafter? Something must be done about it.

Hear hear

Too keep you in muffins.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You could buy a return ticket for the channel tunnel - around £50 off peak.
You dont have to physically go but you have an exit & return ticket.....

You could buy a return ticket for the channel tunnel - around £50 off peak.
You dont have to physically go but you have an exit & return ticket.....

I've booked a crossing for a specific bike and then rocked up on a different one, checked in via the autobot and my boarding card showed the original reg. no.

I suppose, the OP could find someone travelling to the UK and back from mainland Europe and register the bike in question as the vehicle being used, maybe contributing to the ticket cost.

The last couple of years I've taken my GS out to France in the back of my van. The van was never opened but it once went thru the big xray machine. The OP may well have sent his bike back in a van with a mate or colleague, who brought it back out a week or so later...

It only becomes an issue if questions are asked and once down the road of telling a porkie....

Back
Top Bottom