Help Please :)

Badinis

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’m new here. About to buy my first GS that will also be my first motorbike.
The plan is to use for long travel only, alone no pillion, cross UK and Europe.
Shall I buy the GS850 or GS1200 ? New or semi new ?
It would be great to have some advice/opinions from GS owners who do long travel.

Thanks in advance .

peace:)

Jeezo geezer, it's a lot oh cash to be spending on the opinion of a load of internet weirdos.

1200 every time, second hand, buying new is for mugs.

Yours

Bought 5 new bikes in the past two years, two in the past month :rolleyes:

Used 12

And get a gsa

People who get a GS normally end up with an a

I’ve had all and I’d go 12 gsa used. The Lc model about 2015 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used 12

And get a gsa

People who get a GS normally end up with an a

I’ve had all and I’d go 12 gsa used. The Lc model about 2015 ish.

k

And to counter the above reply....the GSA is fucking massive, ridiculously massive and an absolute beast to move around, I certainly had no desire to buy a GSA after having bought a GS.

Thank you, I’ll probably go for the 1200:)
See if I can find a decent one.
Thank you all 🙂

Hi guys,
I’m new here. About to buy my first GS that will also be my first motorbike.
The plan is to use for long travel only, alone no pillion, cross UK and Europe.
Shall I buy the GS850 or GS1200 ? New or semi new ?
It would be great to have some advice/opinions from GS owners who do long travel.

Thanks in advance .

peace:)

It depends

First bike, you say? Get a new 1250, as they’re not very powerful, and easy to ride. :D

I'm a shortish and lightish guy but the 1200GSA is a well tamed beast. I'm only a few months into ownership. I purposely purchased a used older one as it was my first big bike (>600cc) to get any mishaps out the way if any.

I ride solo and two up, excellent on both counts and the extra capacity fuel tank (33L) is priceless.

Ride both and see how you get on!

What he said

This.
Then get the 850 GSA.
Seriously.
Recent trip to Brugge with the guys from Vines.
The GSa was brilliant and I'd get one over the 1250GS if it had been available when I bought mine.
Light, Enduro Pro can have it sideways and drifting.
Better tank range than the 1250 and almost as good as the 1250 GSA.
Much lighter.
As comfortable.
Etc
Etc
Etc

As it's your first motorbike, I'd suggest that an 850 (or a used 800) will be more than enough and might be less daunting than a 1200.

Is this genuinely your first motorbike? When did you get your licence? How long have you been riding?

If you dive into a 1200 or a 1250, with heavy touring luggage as your first ever motorbike, I promise you, you will struggle to become a riding God!

Please don’t interpret this as a ‘do your apprenticeship sonny’ put down .... I wish you miles and miles of happy biking and touring and am delighted for you.
But trust me! Go smaller to start with and I promise, you will learn to not just tame a bike but master it. Go big with no experience, and the bike will always be the boss of you, and you will never get the best out of it.

Or get a nice used 800 if no pillion .
You’ll get 50 different replies

Agree here, the 800 is a tried and tested high-mileage machine (some on here with ~150k miles)

The 850 has had issues, and is a Chinese engine rather than the trusted 800 (much tried and tested Rotax)

I have a F650GS (800 Twin) and a R1200GS. Love them both. On small lanes the 800 is much less intimidating! The 1200 crosses countries 2-up with luggage, with ease.

Back
Top Bottom