Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Please :)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Go for the lighter bike. I ride a GS1200 but on a recent trip in Morocco I rode the lighter F800 GS for 10 days and I was mighty impressed at how capable the machine was. I have read opinions where they reckon that the lighter bike is just as capable as the bigger bike for all but two up touring.

Myate bought an Africa Twin having never ridden a bike before passing his test last summer, we were in the Alps in September.

Too many assholes...........not enough missiles
    Go 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by S92GS View Post
    Go 12

Shouldn’t you be hanging out the back of a moose in a €24 per night shite hotel up a mountain ? :-)

Too many assholes...........not enough missiles
    I’ll have you know I’m currently in a suite in Car Vegas having just requalified

So I’ve paid nothing and I’m surrounded by minging women.

Oh and my nuts are still Scrambler damage free

Quote Originally Posted by S92GS View Post
    I’ll have you know I’m currently in a suite in Car Vegas having just requalified

So I’ve paid nothing and I’m surrounded by minging women.

Oh and my nuts are still Scrambler damage free

Excellent !

First bike choice for me would be a Honda Transalp. That was the bike that taught me how to ride properly. Seriously thats the bike id have for a first.
    Goodbye GS, welcome home, Honda NC750X DCT

IMHO - The F800gs is physicality taller than the 12 and harder to wheel around when fully loaded unless you are over 6 foot. The 21 inch front wheel feels like one and the handling will take a bit of getting used to coming from a school roadster.
    The 12 has a much lower COG and much more rider friendly 19 inch front wheel.

Looking at what Giles said - my wife was one of 5 friends who all passed their tests at the same time (20 years ago). She bought a ÂŁ200 sh*tter and road that for 6 months before buying a cheapish 600 Bandit. Kept that for 2 years then went on to 900 - sheÂ’s rides a 1200 Lc now.
    All her contemporaries went straight to big bikes either to appease their partners or keep up with their mates. Of the class of 99 only 1 is still riding motorcycles

Definitely a 12

My advice for what its worth is try before you buy not withstanding whatever bike experience you have its still worth putting the time in test riding whatever you have in mind before shelling out the coin

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Badinis View Post
    Hi guys,
    I’m new here. About to buy my first GS that will also be my first motorbike.
    The plan is to use for long travel only, alone no pillion, cross UK and Europe.
    Shall I buy the GS850 or GS1200 ? New or semi new ?
    It would be great to have some advice/opinions from GS owners who do long travel.

Thanks in advance .

peace
    Left field, but if you are going to look at the smaller adventure bikes like the GS850, consider the alternatives. Unless it has to be BMW, the KTM 790 Adventure, and the new Triumph 900 are arguably better bikes. There are plenty of youtube reviews comparing if you want to do a bit of armchair research.

I'd love the big GS for the shaft drive, but want the weight and size of something slightly smaller so I don't feel so intimidated if I want to take it slightly off road (Tesco's kerbs etc..).

RBW.
    "The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better" - W1A

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123