KTM 690 enduro

doyle

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After a bit of advice
I have had a few Ktm’s and am now looking at a low mileage (4K) 10 plate 690 enduro.priced at 4K

As usual I have been researching a bit about them. There seems to be as usual a lot of problems reported but not many people commenting if theirs has been a good bike with no issues.

So, would the consensus be to go for it,or not?.

It would be used for everything anywhere😁

Thanks

Personally I would hold out for a 2014 or newer, they became twin spark with some of the earlier issues addressed.

I bought a 2009 690 Enduro R off this forum just over a year ago. Since I've had it, I've used it a lot for green-laning and also did a 12 day, 1500 mile Spain TET trip on it too. It has never missed a beat and has never let me down. I'm also planning to ride it to Mongolia.

However, Timolgra has forgotten more about KTM's than I ever knew in the first place, so I would listen to his advice and follow it to the letter. He knows his stuff!! I guess I have been lucky with mine - so far....

I’ve got a 10 plate which I’ve had a few years now. Its had a couple of frustratingly difficult issues to resolve but they were simple fixes once i knew what they were. It’s a great bike with more than enough power off road. No ABS to worry about and can be mapped with Tuneecu. If it looks decent, rides well and has been looked after then why not? Even the old ones seem to command good money still and if you don’t like it you can always sell it on.

Got to agree with Tim. I have had a 2014 from new with all the Rally Raid kit on it. It has been exemplary.

Thanks for the replies so far.

What were the earlier models issues I should watch out for.

Got a 2013 model, bought it with 300 miles on it 6 years ago, use it in the Peaks mainly green-laning and it has been absolutely faultless as all of my KTM’s have, I have it serviced at the main dealer but look after it properly in between. It has been my favourite bike and I’ve had a few. 2013 was the last year before they fitted ABS which is a pain to keep switching off as you don’t need it off road.
I wouldn’t discount any year if it has been looked after, having said that problems can appear on any used bike.

Keep on top of the maintenance, particularly keep an eye on those cam followers as they are a known problem. I bought a 14' 690 Enduro with 2700 miles and the rockers had failed but I got to them before they came apart so no real damage done, change them out to 2014 and on and you should have no problems...oh and ignore the factory recommended valve clearances, keep them between 0.004 & 0.009 mm rather than 0.007 - 0.013...just ask Lyndon :thumb

The suspension is pretty poor on the later models so you will either end up changing it or working on it, I have re-valved the front using a JBI kit and have upgraded the rear spring with a shorter Rally Raid spring ( same amount of travel ) and X-Trig adjuster.

The twin spark head is smoother running but the 14' is also ride by wire so you can't use TuneECU and there's a bit more to go wrong, I've put on a Power Commander v5 along with a Rade Garage foam filter and auxiliary tank, this as well as a Wings slip on turns the bike into a bit of a brute but it still gets 60mpg !!

Some Spanish TET last year fully laden, Bulgarian TET this coming May and plans afoot for Ulaanbaatar next year...fun and powerful bikes but just keep on top of everything...and if you are used to mechanically quiet Japanese engines you are in for a bit of a shock :rolleyes:

Mike.

As above, easy fix and worth doing right away. Fit an external Golan filter and also consider a Guglatech Mazinga over the pump itself for extra filtration.

Thanks for all the advice and information.

To be honest it has put me off a bit, I prefer a bike that is good to go without all the fixes needed.

Thanks for all the advice and information.

To be honest it has put me off a bit, I prefer a bike that is good to go without all the fixes needed.

Whilst a totally different bike, in terms of power, chassis and suspension I had a few hours on my XR 400 yesterday and it just does the business on road and trail

Whilst down on power and kickstart only, it's just a good allrounder

It just gets stuck at the back of the garage, overlooked over the years in favour of my theoretically competent exotics, but they go and it stays

If I was to choose a bike like you want, I would look at a KTM 500 or Husky 501 (thread here) over a 690

and have upgraded the rear spring with a shorter Rally Raid spring ( same amount of travel )

I thought it was impossible to change the laws of physics?

Surely with the shorter spring it will sit lower, therefore some travel has gone, unless it is way stiffer and set with less / no sag.

It would be used for everything anywhere😁

Thanks

If I was to choose a bike like you want, I would look at a KTM 500 or Husky 501 (thread here) over a 690

OK, that could be a whole heap of different things but let's just assume for now you want it to be capable on the road (with luggage, and assume camping, but leave out pillion), plus some off road stuff which could, for example, be a TET ride or similar. So the much sought after Nirvana of "bike that will do everything mate!"

I've got a later (2019) model, which has a super smooth engine, but the general weight and handling of the bike are pretty much as per the older versions.

I did a road ride out on in the Cotswolds on Saturday as part of a group run and it was just brilliant down the twisty back roads. Much easier to handle on the slippy, slimey roads than the bigger GS's etc., and much lighter so highly nimble and fun, but also capable of 90mph if you felt the need. Did some Motorway on the way back in relative comfort and no problems.

I took it to Iceland this year for some off road action, where it carried camping kit with ease (designed to carry pillion weight so no problems loading it up) and I've also used it on a number of my local TRF group ride outs on all the usual stuff we would do on lighter bikes around Hampshire, Berkshire etc. In reasonable dry conditions it fabulous off road (way better than me) and only really becomes a handful when it gets very wet, muddy and slippy and it's a bit heavier to pick up when you have the inevitable tumble.

So overall I reckon they are a very capable machine if you are going to do a whole range of different activities (much more so than the 500 machines which are IMHO more off-road focused) so I would highly recommend getting one. As others have said, keep on top of the maintenance and put fixes in place for the well documented stuff that can go wrong and you will have a fantastic machine :beerjug:

I can second most of what Toddmeister says above, bar the bit about Iceland, as I've sadly never been there.

I now own the better looking sibling of the KTM 690, the Husqvarna 701 and love it. My 1190R is languishing in the back of the garage awaiting longer of two up trips :(

If you can, buy the twin balancer version of either.

I thought it was impossible to change the laws of physics?

Surely with the shorter spring it will sit lower, therefore some travel has gone, unless it is way stiffer and set with less / no sag.

John at Rally Raid has discovered that the pitiful rear shock on the 690 performs far better with a shorter and slightly stiffer spring, 205mm as opposed to 220, and then get the appropriate spring rate for your weight plus riding kit plus any permanent add ons. I've done that and fitted an X-Trig adjuster which will allow me to set the spring for an additional 15kg of luggage, the rod and length of travel isn't affected so you don't have to dial up the softer standard spring nearly as much to set the sag properly thanks to earlier tension. A big improvement.

Doyle, before the KTM I had a CCM644 which I tuned up a little and that put a smile on my face...the KTM is a different kind of smile altogether :D

Doesn't the RR spring have a have a spacer to bring it back to stock length though?

Doesn't the RR spring have a have a spacer to bring it back to stock length though?

Nope, fits straight on, comes with their own beefier stainless lock rings though...I replaced the lock rings with the X-Trig but other than that it's a like for like. The shorter spring makes it easier to fit the X-Trig as you don't have to compress the longer standard spring to get it on.
There's enough adjustment on the shock thread to allow for the shorter ( 15mm ) spring without issue.

Back
Top Bottom