Latest Garmin updates

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you’re anything like me you’ll probably not bother because you don’t think they will be within a calendar year of showing road changes but the latest update is actually very good and shows the changes to the A1/A14 junction that opened less than 1 month ago. Definitely worth having because part of what was the A14 at Huntingdon has now closed and you’d end up adding between 10 and 15 minutes to your journey if you followed an out of date Garmin.

Obviously enough there are plenty of signs telling you to ignore your sat nav but how many take much notice of road signs when it’s dark and you just want to get somewhere :blast

2020.20 ? :nenau

I honestly don’t know. The first reason being that I’m 250 miles from home where the devices are currently sitting and the second being that my wife updated 4 sat navs after I’d left for work yesterday and told me that she’d checked the new junction was on there and was shocked to see that it was.

I have to pay to have the built in sat nav on my van updated and the cost to do that is more than buying a decent spec Garmin so it won’t be done when it goes in for its first service in a couple of weeks.

and told me that she’d checked the new junction was on there and was shocked to see that it was.

Shocked is a bit strong.

Amazed. Surprised, perhaps. Pleased, even. But, shocked? Really?

Shocked is a bit strong.

Amazed. Surprised, perhaps. Pleased, even. But, shocked? Really?

Pleased was also applicable but she described it as a shock. I think that was more because she’s used to it normally taking a few months before recent road changes appeared but as you probably know, that junction has been work in progress for 4 years and the new layout was announced long before it actually started.

I’ll be having a closer look to see if they’ve cheated because even though the main through route was completed ahead of the projected completion there are a lot of smaller junctions yet to open and they might shows on the sat nav as being opened already.

Shocking if they are. An unwary bikermate might be lulled down an unopend road..... and who knows where that will end?

If you’re anything like me you’ll probably not bother because you don’t think they will be within a calendar year of showing road changes but the latest update is actually very good and shows the changes to the A1/A14 junction that opened less than 1 month ago. Definitely worth having because part of what was the A14 at Huntingdon has now closed and you’d end up adding between 10 and 15 minutes to your journey if you followed an out of date Garmin.

Obviously enough there are plenty of signs telling you to ignore your sat nav but how many take much notice of road signs when it’s dark and you just want to get somewhere :blast

Good to know...I'll be passing through there in a couple of weeks....but it must be said that if anyone followed a satnav rather than the road signs.....they deserve to be lost...:D

Good to know...I'll be passing through there in a couple of weeks....but it must be said that if anyone followed a satnav rather than the road signs.....they deserve to be lost...:D

It’s a lot better because you don’t get the queues leading to the roundabout at the end of the link road from the A1 heading south and the speed restrictions have gone until just before the M11 junction when heading east.

It’s probably a little bit further because it loops round south of Huntingdon & Brampton but from where I live, 5 miles west of the old junction, it’s taken at least 10 minutes off the journey time to Cambridge.

As for drivers getting confused; expect a lot of cars suddenly indicating left and cutting from lane 3 to an exit slip because their box of knowledge doesn’t tell them where to go so they sit at 90mph until they see the exit at the last moment.

It’s a lot better because you don’t get the queues leading to the roundabout at the end of the link road from the A1 heading south and the speed restrictions have gone until just before the M11 junction when heading east.

It’s probably a little bit further because it loops round south of Huntingdon & Brampton but from where I live, 5 miles west of the old junction, it’s taken at least 10 minutes off the journey time to Cambridge.

As for drivers getting confused; expect a lot of cars suddenly indicating left and cutting from lane 3 to an exit slip because their box of knowledge doesn’t tell them where to go so they sit at 90mph until they see the exit at the last moment.

So it'll still be quicker to go A14, M11 to Dartford, rather than A1 M25?

So it'll still be quicker to go A14, M11 to Dartford, rather than A1 M25?

I’d say yes because of the roundabouts from Buckden to south of Biggleswade. I tend to have a look at Google maps and see what it comes up with regarding traffic but it’s only a couple of minutes to stop at the services just before you join the motorway section of the A1 north of Peterborough and that’ll give you a clearer picture of what’s going on. The same goes for deciding between M20 or use the A2/M2 then drop down Bluebell Hill and join the M20.

Ta. Be good to see the back of those filthy A14 roadworks! I'll be travelling that bit from Lincoln to Sussex on a Sunday morning so it'll be a bit quieter. The only reason to go down the A1 would be to reminisce over our escapades when I was patrolling it 35 years ago.....and wife was in ops room at Stanborough!

Thanks

Actually Wappers, another reason to go down the A1 would be to see what exotic locos are in the Nene Railway yard at Wansford!

My dad ......96.....is in Uckfield and near....https://www.bluebell-railway.com/.......so always a pleasure!

I'm assuming it was Wapping who took the best part of this thread and ejaculated it into the B & B....whatever!

Pa was at Kings Cross and surrounds for most of his working life on the railway. Peter Townend who was shedmaster at Topshed(home of many famous steam locos, including 60103 Flying Scotsman)...Kings X, was a friend of his, so railways and steam engines have always been part of my life. I usually manage to coincide a visit to pa with a trip to Shalford and see a steam engine hauling the Belmond Pullman services out of Waterloo....last year it was 60009 Union of South Africa, an A4 Pacific....which is owned by a retired sheep farmer from Fife, John Cameron....who I have met several times.....small world...

I'm assuming it was Wapping who took the best part of this thread and ejaculated it into the B & B....whatever!

Guilty as charged. Thank you both for taking it in good part.

As to updating maps and software? I do it as soon as the updates are released. But, not if it means making the updates 10 minutes before I depart, only to then discover there’s some glitch when I am miles from home. I also install the updated maps onto my home computer, to avoid having to attach my gps device each time. See this thread on the challenges encountered when only a base map is installed onto a PC: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/521940-Slow-route-calculation-on-my-PC-using-BaseCamp It took us a while to work out that the fellow did not have the detailed maps installed (he thought he did) but we got there in the end and all was well.

The guilty party might as well have signed his name underneath because it was that obvious :D

Regarding the steam train part; my dad was the last ever Station Master at Ampthill station and I was brought up as a railway child so steam locomotives were a part of my early life. More recently I’ve worked on a lot of old puffers, mainly carrying out in-situ machining on the boilers at various preservation society workshops but also machining the wheel sets when they were replaced. It’s actually really nice work to get involved with and a lot of people throw hundreds of hours at it, free of charge, to keep them running. Not me of course, I’m a mercenary bastard and expect to be paid for my skills.

Back
Top Bottom