M 1300 GS

Boxerlust

Reaction score
Since BMW trademarked the name M1300GS when do you think will we be able to see and buy the bike ?
I really want a GS with 150hp/nm torque , 17 inch CF wheels and a chassis geometry where you don't loose 1 inch or so in ground clearance and have stability issues at speeds above 125 mph because of the smaller front wheel causing less trail ! Otherwise I would have converted my 1250GS-HP already myself.But I want additional performance not sportier looks.
Since it looks like a LC sport-boxer is not coming the idea of a XR version based on the T-L GS is the next best thing I would say.
Maybe even better than a S-Boxer since we all get older but not any wiser...:D
An underseat exhaust like on the R1100/1200S would be also appreciated for 2 big bags...:thumby:
BMW has to do something since not everybody likes an inline-4,chaindrive and forkdive...;)

How often do you ride >125mph ?

Just buy an XR or K1300S. If those are your desires you should probably rethink the GS.

Since BMW trademarked the name M1300GS when do you think will we be able to see and buy the bike ?
I really want a GS with 150hp/nm torque , 17 inch CF wheels and a chassis geometry where you don't loose 1 inch or so in ground clearance and have stability issues at speeds above 125 mph because of the smaller front wheel causing less trail !

And the Golden Globe for Best Fantasy goes to........

Well it makes sense , its true that the stability is affected once you diy the wheel changes as it will affect the bike. So if BM did make a M version it would be done rite. To have the extra power would be great also as there is never too much if used well and chassis tuned ,saying that unless your on a trail on 530 KTM perhaps but thats different.
Boxerlust has a perfectly good point , okay some may not agree but it would be nice to see a bike that some would like to own , you can keep all happy.
I for one would have the mentioned M as I do ride fast and appreciate a bike that would be built to do it by the factory . IMHO of course .
The XR isn't an option as its not a GS , and the K1300 is a bus .

going from 1200 to 1250 gained 9hp and that's also with Shiftcam.
a 1300cc boxer motor would likely never produce over 140hp, but then again it's not about the peak HP numbers with the boxer motors, as they are more about torque.

going from 1200 to 1250 gained 9hp and that's also with Shiftcam.
a 1300cc boxer motor would likely never produce over 140hp, but then again it's not about the peak HP numbers with the boxer motors, as they are more about torque.

Totally agree with that ,Torque is your best friend but the idea is appealing to some.

Most fixated, oft repeated fantasy. Just why aren’t BMW listening and fulfilling the NorCal wish list?
Alan R

They are both different and to be honest not as capable as the gs in the real world.
I know. The point was to tell the OP to decide what he wants from a bike and deal with it.

I really want a GS with 150hp/nm torque , 17 inch CF wheels and a chassis geometry where you don't loose 1 inch or so in ground clearance and have stability issues at speeds above 125 mph because of the smaller front wheel causing less trail ! Otherwise I would have converted my 1250GS-HP already myself.But I want additional performance not sportier looks.
Since it looks like a LC sport-boxer is not coming the idea of a XR version based on the T-L GS is the next best thing I would say.
Maybe even better than a S-Boxer since we all get older but not any wiser...:D
An underseat exhaust like on the R1100/1200S would be also appreciated for 2 big bags...:thumby:
BMW has to do something since not everybody likes an inline-4,chaindrive and forkdive...;)

Surprised you aren’t looking for a ‘sport-sport-sport’ model................ :rolleyes:

Why would BMW trademark the name if they have no plans to produce the bike ?
And there is a big market for such a machine see how well the XR sells as also how many people convert their GS to 17 inch wheels.But it has to be done by the factory because if you do it yourself you loose an inch ground clearance and loose high speed stability on top of it.
Alpha-Technik showed off their variable valve timing system we thought would be the system used on the upgraded boxers but then BMW opted for 84 cc more and shift cam.
Anyways the 1170 cc R1200GS made 146 hp and had 17 inch wheels...:thumb2
So 150-160 hp at 8500 rpm from 1300-1400cc and even more torque than on the current 1254 should be no problem at all !
Not to forget Ducati has the 1260MS and KTM the 1301 Superduke GT;Both have 17 inch wheels...
The S1000XR can move up to 1100 or 1200cc and 200 hp just to keep the gap...;)
I rather have a boxer,driveshaft and Telelever,though.
Until then the 1250GS-HP will have to do...:D
Happy New Year !

I'm not sure when or if this insatiable appetite for "more" all the time will ever end in those looking for it being satisfied? The 1250 seems to tick just about all the boxes needed for an adv bike these days in terms of grunt and upping the power or torque just seems a bit pointless instead of investing in making it the best it can be quality-wise. Having ridden a "hot" multistrada and KTM as well as the S1000R, I'm really not sure that more power will bring anything more to the table except bragging rights, whereas producing a bike that steals the reliability crown from its competitors seems to be a far more worthy goal imho. There are already other options out there that major on high power. Making the boxer bigger and heavier wouldn't attract me to it no-matter what power increases it kicked out. Making it lighter and better made would, on the other hand.

I'm not sure when or if this insatiable appetite for "more" all the time will ever end in those looking for it being satisfied? The 1250 seems to tick just about all the boxes needed for an adv bike these days in terms of grunt and upping the power or torque just seems a bit pointless instead of investing in making it the best it can be quality-wise. Having ridden a "hot" multistrada and KTM as well as the S1000R, I'm really not sure that more power will bring anything more to the table except bragging rights, whereas producing a bike that steals the reliability crown from its competitors seems to be a far more worthy goal imho. There are already other options out there that major on high power. Making the boxer bigger and heavier wouldn't attract me to it no-matter what power increases it kicked out. Making it lighter and better made would, on the other hand.

Good points , but it would be an M not the GS , so you would have the choice. One , take a risk , two stay where you are .
I would get one ( if they made one ) as I know the chassis can take the addition Torque and power , but I do see and understand your point and fully accept your scepticism.

And there is a big market for such a machine see how well the XR sells as also how many people convert their GS to 17 inch wheels.But it has to be done by the factory because if you do it yourself you loose an inch ground clearance and loose high speed stability on top of it.
Alpha-Technik showed off their variable valve timing system we thought would be the system used on the upgraded boxers but then BMW opted for 84 cc more and shift cam.
So 150-160 hp at 8500 rpm from 1300-1400cc and even more torque than on the current 1254 should be no problem at all !
Not to forget Ducati has the 1260MS and KTM the 1301 Superduke GT;Both have 17 inch wheels...
Happy New Year !

Do that many convert their GSs to 17 inch wheels ?

Seen a few on here over the years but not many.

Probably trademarked the name so no one else can have it. And they can use it in the future if the unlikely need arises.

Happy New Year !

I could not be arsed waiting for BMW so went for the 17” front wheel option myself on my 1250 Rallye, together with a slightly wider rear wheel for sports rubber front & back. To address the 1” drop at the front I bought a basic and fitted Ohlins TTX shocks. My dealer used the front preload to adjust the ride height. Topped it off with full decat exhaust, Hilltop remap, and sorting the mismatched panels and frame colours so now has looks to match.

Bike is now exactly what I wanted and a keeper. That is a comfortable bike with Telelever suspension, sports tyres on 17” wheels, superb fuelling and more bhp at the back wheel than one of the early R1’s I had. Tank range is over 250 miles on gentle throttle but still near 200 ridden hard Handling is superb and I cannot stop smiling.

Happy New Year !

interesting points, but more CC's doesn't mean more reliable hp on the boxer design of engine.
With all things in life, certain designs have pros and cons. The boxer is a very low revving torquey motor, it doesn't like to be revved and that's due to the way the crank (in the middle) has to vent/breath.

i would be surprised if more than 1% of GS owners globally fit 17" rims also.

I could not be arsed waiting for BMW so went for the 17” front wheel option myself on my 1250 Rallye, together with a slightly wider rear wheel for sports rubber front & back. To address the 1” drop at the front I bought a basic and fitted Ohlins TTX shocks. My dealer used the front preload to adjust the ride height. Topped it off with full decat exhaust, Hilltop remap, and sorting the mismatched panels and frame colours so now has looks to match.

Bike is now exactly what I wanted and a keeper. That is a comfortable bike with Telelever suspension, sports tyres on 17” wheels, superb fuelling and more bhp at the back wheel than one of the early R1’s I had. Tank range is over 250 miles on gentle throttle but still near 200 ridden hard Handling is superb and I cannot stop smiling.

If you tidied up the rear of the bike, that would look so much better. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom