Extracting a rounded off internal hex key csk bolt

Malvern_Beemer

Reaction score
While attempting to remove my 2010 R1200 GSA fuel tank in order to get to and replace a faulty alternator I've managed to round off the internal hex key of one of the rear mounting bolts (the last one to come out). Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for getting this out or suggestions of a specific tool for the job?
I'de really like to avoid having to drill this out if at all possible as it's quite a long bolt.
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• R1200GSA#01.jpg
    R1200GSA#01.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 558
Hammer a star (Torx) in
Try the next size up hex
Disconnect battery and ecu and weld a nut/bolt onto it

Is the key hole still there? Can't see in photo

I have successfully used an oversize torx key, hammered in, to cut its own grooves

Just drill the head off the bolt,
Then you can at least remove the tank ,there should be enough of the bolt sticking proud to deal with it.
It shouldn’t be overly tight,probably just corroded.
I doubt the fixing is sturdy enough to attemp hammering an oversized torx bit in.
Given that the fuel tank is plastic and the mount is rubber I would not advise attempting to weld near it until the tank is removed:augie

Just drill the head off the bolt,
Then you can at least remove the tank ,there should be enough of the bolt sticking proud to deal with it.
It shouldn’t be overly tight,probably just corroded.
I doubt the fixing is sturdy enough to attemp hammering an oversized torx bit in.
Given that the fuel tank is plastic and the mount is rubber I would not advise attempting to weld near it until the tank is removed:augie

But arnt we missing the GS mantra, burn it, burn it with fire and pitchforks ;)

All joking aside, didnt someone on here have some aerospace liquid stuff that could be placed into fixings to improve the bite / fit of torx type bits wheree the fixture or tool was worn ?

Thanks mikeyboy. Sounds sensible. I suppose there's nothing to be lost by attempting to hammer a torx bit in (apart from buggering up the torx bit). I'm guessing that the worst that can happen is that the bolt head may snap off which is what I'd be doing by drilling the head off anyway. :thumb2

All joking aside, didnt someone on here have some aerospace liquid stuff that could be placed into fixings to improve the bite / fit of torx type bits wheree the fixture or tool was worn ?

Me. It really is very good and regularly gets me out of the shite when a customer brings in their bike with the OP's problem.

EZ-grip

You could try this .
Re grind a 8mm drill backwards so the sharp edge works like a LH drill . Drill a 6mm hole about 5mm deep in the socket .Then use the reground drill. Put your electric drill in reverse and it might give enough bite to unscrew it. If not do as MB says and drill the head off and there will be enough thread left to get some grips off it when the tank is off.

Rubber band.
This will fill up the space and give additional grip
(but don't blame me if it pings back and pokes you in the eye!)

Last edited:
surely was a filister torx thingy.... just drill it out and fit new?

Can you get a dremel in and cut a slot for a wide slotted head screwdriver preferably one you can turn with a spanner?

I have also heard tales of people filling the head of the bolt with fine grinding paste and pressing the bit in had to undo it.

Back
Top Bottom