Front sprocket nut won't come undone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mate of mine is having issues getting a front sprocket nut undone.
He's bent the tabs back and tried long bars for more leverage and even had swmbo sat on the bike to keep it on the floor whilst heaving at it to the extent the bike is still lifting off the floor...

Just wondered if anyone can offer any top tips or pointers to get it off please.?

He's understandably reluctant to use an impact driver as all the shock will be transmitted to the gearbox but it's looking like it might be the only option.
He's tried turning it the other way in case it's left hand thread...
Thanks.

Cut it off.

That's a possibility, maybe last resort. I haven't seen it but I imagine there won't be much stud showing after cutting off the head. Given that it's ferkin tight it might be best to keep the head intact for now. He said it's a big nut.
Thanks.

My experience is usually you just need a bigger bar, they can be scary things to undo but always move in the end.

A small shock won’t harm the transmission either so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Andres

Usually the sprocket nut comes loose, so maybe someone has been in there & over-torqued the thing.

Cutting, as boxer suggests, may sound drastic, but it avoids applying excessive force. Presumably he is doing chain & sprockets, so damage to the front sprocket wont matter, but great care is needed so as not to damage the output shaft.

There are clips on YouTube, such as ......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLLUVyQ7wTE

Use an electric-hammer action drill (doesn't need to be industrial strength) with a socket.

Rotary/vibratory action is much more effective than a huge breaker bar.

Spray with release-all before removing (proper release-all, not WD40)

Cut it off.

Haha, just seen the YouTube clip...I didn't realise its a nut on a shaft rather than a stud going into the shaft. Cutting it off definitely a good idea...:augie:thumb2

Not sure why lifting the bike off the ground is an issue, i would have the bar going forwards and push down on it.

Thanks chaps-- I'll pass on all the info and take him a length of scaffold pole

Rattle Gun - it took my Harley front pully off in milli seconds.

Its a bit tight with a conventional breaker bar, from memory its 95ft/lb? .
A rattle gun, or get a scaffold tube on it.

Its a bit tight with a conventional breaker bar, from memory its 95ft/lb? .
A rattle gun, or get a scaffold tube on it.

If it's 95ft/lb then it's not mega tight, car wheel nut territory, so it should come undone with 18" breaker bar and 2' scaff pole....

Why mess about. Take it to someone with an impact wrench.

Pour a kettle of boiling water on it, then try again with wheel blocked.

I had the same problem with the pulley nut on my Harley Dyna,rattle gun,1m breaker bar with my full weight on it,nothing,would not budge,in the end I carefully ground half way throught the nut with a Dremel and then a sharp tap with a small chisel and it split,£10 for a new nut but saved alot of grief.

Have you bent the the two tabs on the washer back first ?

Why mess about. Take it to someone with an impact wrench.

As mentioned he's reluctant to impact drive it.. He only had a torque wrench to use so hopefully a proper breaker bar will give better results.
Not messing about, it's more the case he hasn't had chance to attack it with the right tools. I can't imagine a torque wrench would do the job properly.
Hopefully he'll make progress tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom