Steering wobble - scary stuff!

Just found my original post. was 2017

Had the TKC70 on both our 09 GS and did about 5000miles on each bike. Got for a long trip up to Norway and Finland. As Lentarn says initial ok but experienced all sorts of wobbles, instability as you said as mileage built up. Got home and first ever tyre Iv'e taken off a bike that still had loads of life but was just to unstable. Did lots of checks prior, pressures, play in bearings etc etc but was exactly the same on both bikes. Was so bad at one point my wife took a lowspeed tumble as the bars twitched as she was u turning in a tight spot.
Long thread about them on ADVrider seems to be one or the other, Worlds best tyre or never again.Seems to be some inconsistency in build/manufacturing to polarise peoples opinions of the same tyre on near identical bikes.
Changed back to tourance Next once home and everything returned to normal. No vibes, shudder or lumpiness instantly all gone.
Re the effect of boxes extras and so on. we have, well had, 2 identical bikes full alloy panniers extras and so on. We do lots of distance touring Norway to Turkey twice for example. Have had a good range of tyre on both bikes, not always the same. Had original Tourance, AK2 and 3s, pilot 3, Avons. all behaved fine at low speed gravely track and 80+ Mway blasts. The instant recovery of both smoothness and stability once the 70 were swapped says to me it was the tyre as nothing else had changed.
From my experience would not get them again.

So I haven't had time to get things checked out by a mechanic but after a little more research I found this page which shows others with the exact same issue with these tyres (as well as mentioned on this thread) https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-continental-tkc-70.998092/page-30

Where do I stand with continental with regards to getting them off my bike and refunded so I can get a different set on? I'm on a trip so am now quite far from where they were installed...

I'm going to contact continental and see what they say.

Had 2004 1200gs with road tyres, mostly ridden one-up with Vario side and top boxes loaded. Never had a prob with speed despite the labels ;-) But travelling across Bristol Channel on the new bridge (old bridge closed due to high winds) and the bike was a nightmare with almost step changes in positioning within lane! So wobble to me suggests tyres are something loose or worn (bearing / fork mounts etc).

Anyway, we're all still waiting to hear (on yr previous thread) how you got your bike transported down to Spain (any recommendations) or do we have to wait until the Ride Report, or do you only operate in receive only mode?

Good luck with yr prob and trip!:rolleyes:

It's quite funny how they give a paltry max weight for the panniers 11lbs per pannier

But you can stick an 18 stone person on the pillion seat with no issues but only 22lbs of pannier weight ???

Loaded mine to the gills when i went to Strontian last year,

Never gave it a thought, overtaking at speed. Infact i was quite suprised how easy and stable it was

It's quite funny how they give a paltry max weight for the panniers 11lbs per pannier

But you can stick an 18 stone person on the pillion seat with no issues but only 22lbs of pannier weight ???

Never gave it a thought, overtaking at speed. Infact i was quite suprised how easy and stable it was

I guess it's the fact that you're putting the strain onto the Pannier Mounting System rather than directly down onto the Bike itself.
There is going to be a limit to the amount of weight, bouncing up and down that the Mounts will withstand....

I share your thinking exactly! Though I guess there are pannier mounts to consider...

In general total pannier weight for me (on a long trip) is about 15-17kg each. Until the high speed weave I had - which I'm convinced is top do with the shocks - I've never known the weight was there it rides so well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom