Steering wobble - scary stuff!

Lemon

Reaction score
Hola! So In have been biking about from the UK since mid-November and am currently in south of Spain. The bike has performed brilliantly through the mountains of Morocco and everywhere else I have taken it.

Recently on the highway at about 80mph I started to get wobble on the front end, which increased to a scary amount and I was preparing for the possibility of losing control. Thankfuly I managed to control it and continued on my way albeit rather nervously. I'm wondering what has caused this... The bike has fallen twice at zero speed when maneuvreing on rough ground. It seemed well protected from the protective bars but I guess this could have caused an issue. New tyres about 600 miles ago (TCK70's) could also be a factor. At the time there was some sidewind and I had luggage on the back too (weight distribution?).

Any thoughts on this? Is there anything I should be checking or getting a mechanic to test? Next time I may not be so able to control it. Cheers all and safe riding.

Oh...bike is a 2009 R1200 GS Special Edition.

IIRC, the Handbook recommends keeping the Speed below 80mph when Fully Loaded with Panniers?
Higher Speeds when Loaded, coupled with a good Side Wind will almost certainly cause Instability....Also, were you Solo with a Top Box fitted?
That can create major Handling Issues in my Experience....

This sounds remarkably similar to my own experience this summer while riding down to Italy...

After a lot of mulling it over, I have concluded the following...

1. The shocks badly need a service - I found switching to 'Sport' on the ESA damping helped a lot.
2. If you're loaded up with luggage, then the combination of that load + the aerodynamics of the bike + take-off speed (lol) conspire to lighten the front, then enter the wobble.
3. Tyre pressures being out/wrong will exacerbate the above...

I've now got the new roof on my garage (so I can leave the bike in bits) Luke will be hearing from me v soon for a full refurb on both shocks

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

.Also, were you Solo with a Top Box fitted?

I have experienced this on my 2019 GSA with a top box, first time I rode it (back from the dealer) it was pretty much all motorway and I had to be VERY mindful of how much weight I applied to the bars. it felt extremely flighty and wobbly. Something I never experienced on my Tiger 1200 even 2 up with panniers etc.

IIRC, the Handbook recommends keeping the Speed below 80mph when Fully Loaded with Panniers?
Higher Speeds when Loaded, coupled with a good Side Wind will almost certainly cause Instability....Also, were you Solo with a Top Box fitted?
My BMW ali panniers have a sticker inside advising a max speed of 180kmh...

Sounds like a good winter trip OP.

You don't tell us the mileage & others mention the issues to check first.

All I would add is that unstable steering can be a sign that the front lower balljoint is failing, not uncommon on high mileage bikes. If this is suspect, get someone to sit on the bike. You stand in front, with the wheel clamped or between your knees & put you hand over the BJ - then get your compadre to waggle the bars left & right. Any slack will be obvious, but you must have a riders weight on the front seat. Check the rubber boot for splits while you are in there.

Must have dreamed it then.
Not sure I'd venture to that Speed with mine on and Loaded mind!!
It'll do it just fine. But if you're properly loaded it's not recommended! In the long haul part of my rides down to Italy I'm usually well loaded up. But once I get there and only travel with stuff for that particular trip, then it behaves just fine.

It'll do it just fine. But if you're properly loaded it's not recommended! In the long haul part of my rides down to Italy I'm usually well loaded up. But once I get there and only travel with stuff for that particular trip, then it behaves just fine.

To be honest, I very rarely venture north of three figures these days loaded or not, so it's not an Issue I generally have.
I've adapted to a steadier Pace so I can really take in the Scenery and not feel quite so frazzled at the other end.
I find the GSA is just such a joy to Ride, whatever the Speed.....

To be honest, I very rarely venture north of three figures these days loaded or not, so it's not an Issue I generally have.
I've adapted to a steadier Pace so I can really take in the Scenery and not feel quite so frazzled at the other end.
I find the GSA is just such a joy to Ride, whatever the Speed.....
I think you're right btw Don't read too much bravado into my mention of speed. To be honest, I usually enjoy the ride and scenery. I do though have the odd moments, when the conditions are right, when I think "hmmm... let's see what I can get out if it!". But in reality, that's not so often.

Sounds like a good winter trip OP.

You don't tell us the mileage & others mention the issues to check first.

All I would add is that unstable steering can be a sign that the front lower balljoint is failing, not uncommon on high mileage bikes. If this is suspect, get someone to sit on the bike. You stand in front, with the wheel clamped or between your knees & put you hand over the BJ - then get your compadre to waggle the bars left & right. Any slack will be obvious, but you must have a riders weight on the front seat. Check the rubber boot for splits while you are in there.
Good points. Definitely worth the op checking out

Thank you for all the responses, glad (kinda) that I am not alone in this and I shall check out all that has been mentioned. I think there may be a bit to much play in the bars relative to wheel movement so the front lower balljoint may be to blame... I'll let you know my findings when I have had a chance to check. :beerjug:

mileage is around 37k now iirc.

catching a head wind can do that... if your loaded up etc. I've had a oddly worn tyre once give the sensation the bike was diving into the road on right handed corners...

sometimes there's no logical explanation for things that happen...

Ta for that. :thumb2
I've been riding many years but my (mostly totally different to a 1200GS :blast ) R850r is the first Bike i've had with the 'Telelever' front end.
Never knew you could have such a thing as a bad BJ :augie - I must check this out.
So, the info is much appreciated. :beerjug:

Have you checked the clamping screws in the lower yoke, there was an issue with these working loose. Need to be loctited and torque evenly and repeatedly to full load on all 4 screws.

It's a boxer. The first bike i ever rode that had a hydraulic steering damper was an R90S but my 60/6 had one too. Load them carefully for touring and watch out when riding over deviations parallel to your direction of travel.

Next time it starts to wobble, lie down close to the tank.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3WwVA
Well done for digging that out. Made interesting viewing. Considering the quality/ performance of the gear and bikes now, it always amazes me we all got hooked

Got to say, no way I'd be a bloody test rider . Some of those wobbles and weaves looked horrendous!

Interesting point about the weave though. Symptoms described well what I experienced and sounds like the OP too - high speed + weight distribution. Interesting solution also! Knew nothing of that when mine happened. So noted . But I did gain a lot of confidence and was able to induce the weave if wanted - which I did deliberately a number of times as I tried to understand it. I'll be interested to see if the shock rebuild has an impact.

Tyres. Had very same problem couple of years ago, same tyres same bikes. Both mine and my wifes 09 GS 1200. We had TKC70 fitted for trip to Norway. After about 2500/3000 miles we both noticed a "wobble instability" My wife had a couple of tumbles at low speed as tyre seemed to almost kick sideways, so bad she lost confidence in the bike. Did a post on here maybe a search? Comments about load distribution, pressures etc etc but we have done many thousands of miles from Turkey to Norway, twice often with full camping gear and we both never experienced anything like it. When home I did a full bike check, all joints front and back. Still the same one unloaded. So I took tyres off switched to Tourance NEXT on my bike and instant better, no wobble vibration nothing. Tried Sues and still the same scarry instability, new tyres on hers and again instantly back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom