RANDOM SCREEN CHANGES - It's a Garmin problem, specific to the Nav VI device

I'm relatively new to GS ownership but after 18 months I'm about to return my second NAV VI, this time it's ghosting and after hours searching the Internet there seem to be few options other than to try the BMW dealership that sold it ( I should be ok this time as it's less than two years and Sycamore were great last year and did the first replacement very efficiently).
But I'm aware that this is the last chance saloon and if I don't get lucky will be here again next year wondering if I should try the crap shoot of a refurbished unit from Garmin or buying a new one.

So has anyone tried getting one fixed properly? I worked for a company that used touch LCDs for use on boats, same tech as Garmin use on the NAV VI. There is a company in Germany that seem to understand the cause of the ghosting, an open end on the resistive touch screen that causes the ghosting. At 199 EUR it's not cheap but cheaper than a new unit.

Anyone tried tham?

https://www.gps-station.net/en/prod...pair-touch-screen-overall-optimization-rb6ts/

Appreciate any feedback

I had 4 refurbs before they finally sent the latest version of the nav 6. Only 2 months in and all fine, but that's more than the previous one lasted...

I'm relatively new to GS ownership but after 18 months I'm about to return my second NAV VI, this time it's ghosting and after hours searching the Internet there seem to be few options other than to try the BMW dealership that sold it ( I should be ok this time as it's less than two years and Sycamore were great last year and did the first replacement very efficiently).
But I'm aware that this is the last chance saloon and if I don't get lucky will be here again next year wondering if I should try the crap shoot of a refurbished unit from Garmin or buying a new one.

So has anyone tried getting one fixed properly? I worked for a company that used touch LCDs for use on boats, same tech as Garmin use on the NAV VI. There is a company in Germany that seem to understand the cause of the ghosting, an open end on the resistive touch screen that causes the ghosting. At 199 EUR it's not cheap but cheaper than a new unit.

Anyone tried tham?

https://www.gps-station.net/en/prod...pair-touch-screen-overall-optimization-rb6ts/

Appreciate any feedback

well unit number 5 arrived today, and its a refresh version "make life a ride" I charged it via the mains all day. I have now updated it to the news maps. one thing I will add, it seemed to connect to my computer quicker (MAC) a bit quicker and Garmin express.

I am thinking about running a bead of silicone or hot glue, on the outside around the the join where the screen meets the body. I wonder if this will help with the fault of crud etc getting into the gap. this is what the company in Germany suggest is the problem.

so its now a waiting game to see if and when this fails, I am going to keep everything crossed for success.

Just a quick update, my nab vi refresh has already started to play up. It has been on my bike for about a week. Brilliant. So here I go again send it back, they send me another absolute dogshit

Just so every bod on this website and anyone else in the world who happens to have access to the internet knows….

By ‘refresh’ do you mean:

A. The VI version that DOES NOT show ‘Make life a ride’ on its start up screen, or

B. The version of the Nav VI that that DOES

Thank you.

Just so every bod on this website and anyone else in the world who happens to have access to the internet knows….

By ‘refresh’ do you mean:

A. The VI version that DOES NOT show ‘Make life a ride’ on its start up screen, or

B. The version that that DOES

Thank you.

Apologies to you, it’s make life a ride, although I had mentioned this earlier in the thread

Just a quick update, my nab vi refresh has already started to play up. It has been on my bike for about a week. Brilliant. So here I go again send it back, they send me another absolute dogshit
You seem to be having bad luck with them. My refurb unit (non refresh version) i received last nov is nearly out of its 90 day warranty but has behaved so far. Admittedly due to time of year it hasn't had a lot of use but I have given it some hammer by putting it in freezer & rubbing waterproofer of gloves on it etc. Etc.
Do you think you could possibly have a problem with your cradle & the pin connectors?? I have seen it mentioned by someone else as maybe causing the ghosting. Mine is a new bike i bought in oct 21 so its a new cradle. Does yours misbehave if its off the bike and testing it??.
All just thoughts and mine will probably start ghosting when its out of its 90 day warranty :) . But your failure rate does seem high even for Garmin.

My ‘Make life a ride’ device is back with BMW for replacement.

My old (pre Make life a ride) version of the Nav VI behaved faultlessly.

I haven’t yet ruled out that it’s the cradle.

My ‘Make life a ride’ device is back with BMW for replacement.

My old (pre Make life a ride) version of the Nav VI behaved faultlessly.

I haven’t yet ruled out that it’s the cradle.

I am starting to think the same as you, is there a possibility the bike electronics are causing this fault to manifest itself.

You seem to be having bad luck with them. My refurb unit (non refresh version) i received last nov is nearly out of its 90 day warranty but has behaved so far. Admittedly due to time of year it hasn't had a lot of use but I have given it some hammer by putting it in freezer & rubbing waterproofer of gloves on it etc. Etc.
Do you think you could possibly have a problem with your cradle & the pin connectors?? I have seen it mentioned by someone else as maybe causing the ghosting. Mine is a new bike i bought in oct 21 so its a new cradle. Does yours misbehave if its off the bike and testing it??.
All just thoughts and mine will probably start ghosting when its out of its 90 day warranty :) . But your failure rate does seem high even for Garmin.

I have read on other threads that others are on their 4th or 5th unit. I am not being an arse about these, but all I would like is a £600 investment to work

I think you’ve successfully managed that.

I’ll do a bit of editing at some point and start you a fresh thread to explore the delights of phone / TomTom navigation. One tip, never drop your phone mid-trip and smash the screen or you’ll be fecked.

Another tip never let your phone be in view of warm sun,
I arranged a tour around Pyrenees 3/4 years ago using my phone as sat nav and it over heated and switched off. I had to blow into the speaker vents to cool it down. But this is how we learn from all our trips in life

I have read on other threads that others are on their 4th or 5th unit. I am not being an arse about these, but all I would like is a £600 investment to work
Id like them to work too. Im on my third, but thats over 4 or 5 years. Yours seem to be failing in a short time & wondered if something else is causing it. Didnt say you were an arse.

Id like them to work too. Im on my third, but thats over 4 or 5 years. Yours seem to be failing in a short time & wondered if something else is causing it. Didnt say you were an arse.

Sorry I wasn’t suggesting you called me an arse, I was aiming it at myself in respect of garmin thinking that.
Seem to spend half my time apologising on here.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. I clean screen with a glasses cloth prior to every use, I wipe the contacts, never dropped or submerged any them
I am going to give up and use a map like I used to do

Sorry I wasn’t suggesting you called me an arse, I was aiming it at myself in respect of garmin thinking that.
Seem to spend half my time apologising on here.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. I clean screen with a glasses cloth prior to every use, I wipe the contacts, never dropped or submerged any them
I am going to give up and use a map like I used to do
Did you run a bead of silicon around the edge of screen on this last one (like you mentioned in previous post). Just wondering so I know if you did that it doesn't help (or it makes it worse). Other thing; you dont have a screen protector on it do you?? , I tried one on previous nav & it made it worse at ghosting & not responding to touch. Keep us updated how you get on with Garmin and getting another new refurbished one.

I had 4 refurbs before they finally sent the latest version of the nav 6. Only 2 months in and all fine, but that's more than the previous one lasted...

Spoke too soon...

Going back today for another replacement.

Spoke too soon...

Going back today for another replacement.

Is your replacement that malfunctioned:

A. The ‘Make life a ride’ version

B. The version that does not have ‘Make life a ride’

On the start up screen?

Is your replacement that malfunctioned:

A. The ‘Make life a ride’ version

B. The version that does not have ‘Make life a ride’

On the start up screen?

This one was the Make Life a Ride version. It was in the original BMW Navigator box, rather than the previous white ones.

OK, thank you.

Mine too was a brand new (one month old) 'Make life a ride' version. I still can't work out whether it was the device itself or some problem with the cradle which caused the malfunction. Either way, it's now back with BMW in Battersea, where it can stay until they resolve it. If they decide it's the (new) bike, they can have that back too.

OK, thank you.

Mine too was a brand new (one month old) 'Make life a ride' version. I still can't work out whether it was the device itself or some problem with the cradle which caused the malfunction. Either way, it's now back with BMW in Battersea, where it can stay until they resolve it. If they decide it's the (new) bike, they can have that back too.

In this thread there are users who have left the nav connected via a USB (not in the cradle) and still the screen changes.

I've now had 5 nav 6's suffer the same issue, pretty sure Garmin wouldn't replace if the causative issue was with the bike.

Back
Top Bottom