RANDOM SCREEN CHANGES - It's a Garmin problem, specific to the Nav VI device

QUOTE FROM WAPPING -
I have, this afternoon, received confirmation that the full cash refund for my shonky, new version (Make Life a Ride) Navigator VI is now winging its way back to me, courtesy of BMW.

In this somewhat protracted process made it very plane to BMW that:

1. The problems with this model and its earlier versions are well known.

2. None of the problems I experienced were self-induced or created by the bike.

3. I had no faith that a replacement device would be any better, nor - more importantly - was I prepared to take a chance that it might be.

4. The device was well within its warranty period, only about four months old.

4. Since handing the device back (way back in January) I had bought from BMW the ‘Connected’ cradle. Along the same grounds, my new 1600 (when it arrives) will have the same cradle built in. I had also bought an XT. In short, there is no gap in my life for a Navigator VI to fill.

5. i wasn’t inconvenienced in the slow process, so I just let it run, simply chasing them up evey month or so to remind them that a replacement would NOT be acceptable. Every day, week and month that passed played to my advantage, as it was them (not me) that were dragging their heels. Each delay, strengthened my case, that BMW were at fault in the process. At each stage I remained polite, with no silly references to the sale of goods acts or stuff like that. It’s really not necessary, as the thing (and lots of others) manifestly just does not work reliably. It is that plane and simple.

It matters not one jot to me if this was BMW’s fault or Garmin’s or the cause of the problem; it was and is completely irrelevant. BMW - backed by a wealth of advertising that it’s a great device - sold it to me, so they needed to give me my money back; simple as that.
END QUOTE

I was told by BMW that the warranty only applied to the original Purchase. Which was 12 months out of the two year period. They exchanged it, but only after i tunr the volume up a little.

QUOTE FROM WAPPING -
I have, this afternoon, received confirmation that the full cash refund for my shonky, new version (Make Life a Ride) Navigator VI is now winging its way back to me, courtesy of BMW.

In this somewhat protracted process made it very plane to BMW that:

1. The problems with this model and its earlier versions are well known.

2. None of the problems I experienced were self-induced or created by the bike.

3. I had no faith that a replacement device would be any better, nor - more importantly - was I prepared to take a chance that it might be.

4. The device was well within its warranty period, only about four months old.

4. Since handing the device back (way back in January) I had bought from BMW the ‘Connected’ cradle. Along the same grounds, my new 1600 (when it arrives) will have the same cradle built in. I had also bought an XT. In short, there is no gap in my life for a Navigator VI to fill.

5. i wasn’t inconvenienced in the slow process, so I just let it run, simply chasing them up evey month or so to remind them that a replacement would NOT be acceptable. Every day, week and month that passed played to my advantage, as it was them (not me) that were dragging their heels. Each delay, strengthened my case, that BMW were at fault in the process. At each stage I remained polite, with no silly references to the sale of goods acts or stuff like that. It’s really not necessary, as the thing (and lots of others) manifestly just does not work reliably. It is that plane and simple.

It matters not one jot to me if this was BMW’s fault or Garmin’s or the cause of the problem; it was and is completely irrelevant. BMW - backed by a wealth of advertising that it’s a great device - sold it to me, so they needed to give me my money back; simple as that.
END QUOTE

I was told by BMW that the warranty only applied to the original Purchase. Which was 12 months out of the two year period. They exchanged it, but only after i tunr the volume up a little.

My apologies, I moved my post to a better thread about the device malfunctioning. I’ll move this post, so as to maintain the flow.

I didn’t get into any debates with BMW as to when things did or didn’t start. I just made it simple: “Give me my money back”.

Mine, to all intents and purposes, was plainly new and not performing. I didn’t care whether the warranty came from BMW or Garmin, it was BMW that sold it to me….. and it was them that was going to reimburse me. I was not in the market for an exchange.

If BMW now go on to recoupe something from Garmin or they crush it or use it as a paperweight or give it to charity, is not my concern.

I had to chase BMW several times, as the cash refund had not appeared in my account, they having said it would take a week. One month later, they tell me they are expediting the refund.

You seem to be having bad luck with them. My refurb unit (non refresh version) i received last nov is nearly out of its 90 day warranty but has behaved so far. Admittedly due to time of year it hasn't had a lot of use but I have given it some hammer by putting it in freezer & rubbing waterproofer of gloves on it etc. Etc.
Do you think you could possibly have a problem with your cradle & the pin connectors?? I have seen it mentioned by someone else as maybe causing the ghosting. Mine is a new bike i bought in oct 21 so its a new cradle. Does yours misbehave if its off the bike and testing it??.
All just thoughts and mine will probably start ghosting when its out of its 90 day warranty :) . But your failure rate does seem high even for Garmin.

UPDATE Jan 2023 --
OH WELL, it lasted a year before it started ghosting & then wouldn't respond to any screen touches at all. put it on bike and seemed to show a constant press in middle of screen. tried cleaning the screen but no good. Contacted Garmin via chat and they have sent another "refurbished" unit FOC on exchange of old one, that sthe 4th one over about 5 years now. Good service from Garmin (apart from one refurb unit I had to pay £150 for) but just an unreliable device they seem unable to fix for some strange reason??.

Is there no end to this?
I bought mine from a member on here in May 22 who was very honest that it was a replacement unit, exchanged by Garmin in March 22 when his went tits up.
It’s been perfect until today, random screen changes, suggestions of coordinates to random places, plus showing I was cruising down the North Sea coast when I thought I was on the Scarborough road.
I’ve sent a message to Garmin but doubt I’ll get any joy, being the second owner of a replacement unit.

Update to my above comment.
Contacted Garmin, no problems, send it back and they’ll send a replacement and put me ‘on the list’ for the ‘revised’ Nav V1 coming out in the second half of 23. I don’t know if that means I’ll get a new one when it comes out or be offered one with a discount or at full price or what?
As said above I’m not the original purchaser, buying it from a member on here last May. It was a replacement in March/April of 22 for an MLAR version that went wrong but I don’t know how old the original unit was.
Anyway, they know I’m the second owner and the replacement is a year old but this doesn’t appear to be a problem.
I hope they finally sort this out, I’ve never had a single issue with any Garmin sat nav in all the years I’ve had them until now.

It appears that Garmin are now replacing the Nav V1 free of charge to anyone who has a refurbished unit, mine was a 2021 replacement that started ghosting last week. Sent them an email and the sent a returns label and will send another refurbished unit.
They intimidated the new unit due out late 2023 will be available to buy.
From Garmin.
What I can do for you today is go ahead and exchange your Navigator VI for a replacement and add you to a list to be contacted once we have more information about the revised Navigator VI. If you do experience an issue in the future, please contact us for support

Here we go again, Nav VI number 4 lasted a year and now it's started with the "ghost touch" . Contacted Garmin and they have been very good and have sent a prepaid label via email and agreed to send a replacement when mine gets back to them.
I also see on the Garmin tracking it says I'll receive a "Navigator VI,Refresh,LM,GPS,Repl Head Unit,BMW,GP,EU,AOEM" . "Not sure what a replacement head unit means "; maybe it's just a general term for replacing the whole Nav?? or could it mean just fitting a new screen??. It will be the 5th Nav VI I've had since my first one in 2018. all of them suffering from the screen ghosting issue.
I know it's annoying having failures but I am grateful for the way Garmin are at least willing to replace the units after they fail.

Here we go again, Nav VI number 4 lasted a year and now it's started with the "ghost touch" . Contacted Garmin and they have been very good and have sent a prepaid label via email and agreed to send a replacement when mine gets back to them.
I also see on the Garmin tracking it says I'll receive a "Navigator VI,Refresh,LM,GPS,Repl Head Unit,BMW,GP,EU,AOEM" . "Not sure what a replacement head unit means "; maybe it's just a general term for replacing the whole Nav?? or could it mean just fitting a new screen??. It will be the 5th Nav VI I've had since my first one in 2018. all of them suffering from the screen ghosting issue.
I know it's annoying having failures but I am grateful for the way Garmin are at least willing to replace the units after they fail.
I believe the ‘Refresh’ is the Nav 6.1, so I hope this is the solution we are all looking for. Weird it only happens after a year?

See my post so you can check yours (y)

Post in thread '2023 Nav VI/6'
https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/2023-nav-vi-6.372718/post-5337441

I believe the ‘Refresh’ is the Nav 6.1, so I hope this is the solution we are all looking for. Weird it only happens after a year?

See my post so you can check yours (y)

Post in thread '2023 Nav VI/6'
https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/2023-nav-vi-6.372718/post-5337441
Yeh, I'm not sure what's what with the version numbers now,
They have listed on the email they sent - Receiving "GPS Unit, Navigator VI, Refresh, LM, BMW, GP, EU, AOEM, Recertified S10-01054-59"
and on the same email as --------- Returnng "Navigator VI,Refresh,LM,GPS,Repl Head Unit,BMW,GP,EU,AOEM 011-04105-37"

I'm not sure whether that means it's me who is returning the "Repl Head Unit" one to Garmin, or that is what they are returning to me :) :) . Both of them say "Refresh" and the one I've sent back wasn't the Make Life A Ride version.

Doesn't matter, I'll just hope the one I get back works for more than a year this time.

That sounds awfully like one of the very original Nav VI’s.
The one sent back now is the one Garmin supplied in Dec 2022 as a replacement for previous one. Think it was new, just not the MLAR model, which was just starting to be supplied at that time.

The one sent back now is the one Garmin supplied in Dec 2022 as a replacement for previous one. Think it was new, just not the MLAR model, which was just starting to be supplied at that time.
I have now received my 5th replacement Nav VI to replace the one with the screen ghosting issue and it is the Make Life a Ride model this time so I'll see how long this lasts!. No mention on any of the paperwork of any "New, new" model (as has been mentioned on here) coming to permanently fix the ghosting issue though.

Once could say that 'experience' dictates that you chose a reliable unit...
Navigating with the 276C since 2004 and had zero glitches
Ditto with the 276 Cx since 2016 and still zero glitches.
and I changed over due to huge improvement, over many years, on specs and options- I've never regretted it. You can compare them below.
276C here
276Cx here
Just saying
Cue the buns :rob

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom