Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP- 1 TB of multiple copies of Photos -Consolidation plan

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'll update my own story in due course but it's a bit complicated and I'm still working through it so I'll leave it for the moment. However, it is a story of multiple computer operating systems, hard drive formats, compatible hard drive formats, different picture formats, multiple copies of those pictures in different places. Basically a bucket of wee. I am getting somewhere though. I now have all the jpegs isolated from my various formats of RAW files. I'll go through the JPEGS at a later date. I have deleted 40GB of jpegs from the pile. JPEG pile now down to 80GB. What I am trying to accomplish now, is getting all my RAW files into a catalogue in Lightroom. I then want to sort through them, delete the ones I don't need and be a good boy in future. Thanks for the help earlier, some good tips that have got me started. I'll try and do a proper write up again when I have finished the job.

Oh and when I've finished the job, I need to move all the files from the external HD FAT 32 ex formated drive to a mac formated drive 'cos the fat 32 is giving me issues on mac.

Good luck with the sorting Im sure it brings back many memories sorting through your collection covering several years.There used to be an assortment of "free" storage services online for backing up such stuff i.e. flickr,dropbox etc but as with many such places you now only get a gigabyte or so with each before charges ensue so local backups are getting used more and more,I have just upgraded my NAS to a Synology DS218+ for such stuff.

Caution : May stop suddenly

Yes indeed. Memories. Amazing what it threw up. I've discarded 99.99% of them. Kept a couple of photos but mixed emotions looking back on a past relationship. Especially the early years when we were very happy. But then looking the later ones and remembering. Anyway, I wish her well but bar two or three photos to remember her face, all purged.

I've gone through all the JPEGS now. Anything of interest is in iPhoto.

I've also imported all the RAW files into lightroom from about 40 different folders. I'm currently exporting the entire catalogue with photos to a new location. It is from there I hope to start weeding out the dross.

I've been at this since ten AM!

Mr Boots, you sound like you are an expert on LR, I use LR but don’t claim to know what goes on behind the scenes. I import my RAW images into LR from the camera, edit them etc and then export as JPEGS. The original RAW files are then as I understand it, saved on the MAC’s hard drive in catalogues associated with LR. I’m considering a new Mac as mine is getting slow being a late 2015 model, apart from using the Cloud which I do not use, is there a way I can copy my existing catalogues to an external drive to then reinstate them with a fresh install of Adobe CC on a new Mac. Sounds simple and I’m sure it is, I may be reasonably competent with a camera but not so much with the computer! Thanks in advance.

An expert? Gosh no. If i was i would not be in this situation!!!

If you select all the files in your lightroom catalogue, then you can goto
    file+export as catalogue. Choose a destination (removable hd) and it'll copy all your files to the new location with the all important catalogue file. There is probably another step to put them on the new mac. My experience of mac is that when you set up the new one it will offer to basically clone your old machine onto your new one. Trick is to not delete your old one until your new one is happy and you and sure you have everything.

HELP- 1 TB of multiple copies of Photos -Consolidation plan

A few shots

in library mode find the highlighted below.

the file+export as catalogue. In this example, i've just selected a few shots. In the panel shown below, you can see I have checked export selected photos only. If you want to export everything, leave this unchecked. Put in a name for the new catalogue and it's destination location.

You can see from the last shot, it carries over the file structure and bascially replicates it in the new place.

Hope this helps?! Now all I have to do is go through all the photos. All 19,827 of them!!!! But I can do that at my leisure. Plus, whilst lying here with my broken stupid foot, I can go look for shots that I might want to redevelop. I've got a bit better over the years and some of them might be worth revisiting with the maturity of hindsight.

I have found Anthony Morganti on Youtube very helpful. His style is good and whilst his voice is a bit silly, he does know his stuff. I'd recomend anyone who has lightroom questions or just want to learn more, check out his site. He has a lightroom playlist. Let me grab it for you...

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnthonyMorganti/videos

Talking of tutorials PHLearn is doing an excellent 30 days of Photoshop on youtube

Many thanks for your simplistic explanation, I shall have a look at doing that over the next few days. Currently I don’t really archive any RAW files other than those collected by LR but it would make sense to do so.

Ah good stuff.

Right. Down to 200 gb of raw files and 10,200 pictures. A significant advance. No duplicates. I’m convinced I’ve lost some stuff but I also had a lot in triplicate. Now backed up on two drives. I’m going to turn the computers off now.

.... Og follows posts, nods with a serious expression of understanding (or constipation - my face looks the same with either), mutters / goes "Hmm" and nods again.

Thanks Mr Boots - i'm sure i'll be able to get the job done now.*

*mmmaybe.

But Thanks anyway!
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Just don't delete anything marc until you are sure you are sure to be sure! You can always pick up the phone and give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Smelly Old Boots View Post
    Just don't delete anything marc until you are sure you are sure to be sure! You can always pick up the phone and give me a call.
    Aint doing nuffin' not yet awhile anyhow.
    But i appreciate what you're saying. The Arabs put it perfectly: "Trust in Allah - but tie your camel first."
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12