HELP- 1 TB of multiple copies of Photos -Consolidation plan

An expert? Gosh no. If i was i would not be in this situation!!!

If you select all the files in your lightroom catalogue, then you can goto
file+export as catalogue. Choose a destination (removable hd) and it'll copy all your files to the new location with the all important catalogue file. There is probably another step to put them on the new mac. My experience of mac is that when you set up the new one it will offer to basically clone your old machine onto your new one. Trick is to not delete your old one until your new one is happy and you and sure you have everything.

A few shots

in library mode find the highlighted below.
22c0ac65707bb1365752381a524dca8f.jpg

the file+export as catalogue. In this example, i've just selected a few shots. In the panel shown below, you can see I have checked export selected photos only. If you want to export everything, leave this unchecked. Put in a name for the new catalogue and it's destination location.
6670f3e0a6cd4e20ed0b6ffc3028a697.jpg

You can see from the last shot, it carries over the file structure and bascially replicates it in the new place.

ae9c0daaa43de5f421fb3a0a66ae0c31.mov

Hope this helps?! Now all I have to do is go through all the photos. All 19,827 of them!!!! But I can do that at my leisure. Plus, whilst lying here with my broken stupid foot, I can go look for shots that I might want to redevelop. I've got a bit better over the years and some of them might be worth revisiting with the maturity of hindsight.

I have found Anthony Morganti on Youtube very helpful. His style is good and whilst his voice is a bit silly, he does know his stuff. I'd recomend anyone who has lightroom questions or just want to learn more, check out his site. He has a lightroom playlist. Let me grab it for you...

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnthonyMorganti/videos

Many thanks for your simplistic explanation, I shall have a look at doing that over the next few days. Currently I don’t really archive any RAW files other than those collected by LR but it would make sense to do so.

Ah good stuff.

Right. Down to 200 gb of raw files and 10,200 pictures. A significant advance. No duplicates. I’m convinced I’ve lost some stuff but I also had a lot in triplicate. Now backed up on two drives. I’m going to turn the computers off now.

.... Og follows posts, nods with a serious expression of understanding (or constipation - my face looks the same with either), mutters / goes "Hmm" and nods again.

Thanks Mr Boots - i'm sure i'll be able to get the job done now.*

*mmmaybe. :blast :blush

But Thanks anyway! :beerjug:

Just don't delete anything marc until you are sure you are sure to be sure! You can always pick up the phone and give me a call.

Just don't delete anything marc until you are sure you are sure to be sure! You can always pick up the phone and give me a call.

Aint doing nuffin' not yet awhile anyhow.
But i appreciate what you're saying. The Arabs put it perfectly: "Trust in Allah - but tie your camel first." ;)

Back
Top Bottom