New cam chain tensioner fitted today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided to try and quieten the cam chain rattle on my 800gs today.
I've never had an F800 before but apparently they all rattle on start-up but for peace of mind I wanted to have a go at fettling it.

I was going to do the upper guide rail and tensioner blade along with the chain tensioner itself but after reading the Haynes manual I decided ( chickened out,more like:D) to just do the tensioner. I don't want to get into removing camshafts etc..

The new tensioner has been changed/modified by BMW -- the spring doesn't feel any stronger but is 1mm longer( could be due to the old one being a bit tired maybe?) and the collar on the underside of the nut is also 1mm longer , all helping to shove the tensioner blade a bit further in.

Easy enough job , a bit fiddly getting the nut threaded back into place but no real drama.
Pleased to say it's made a big difference, possibly more noticeable on a high mile engine but it sounds far better.
Pics attached to try and show the size difference in the parts. The new plunger is the same size as the original.
New nut on the left( compare the top section of the two to see the difference) , new spring on the right, new plunger on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_095552.jpg
    IMG_20200108_095552.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 1,634
  • IMG_20200108_100000.jpg
    IMG_20200108_100000.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_20200108_100018.jpg
    IMG_20200108_100018.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,416
2008. 143100 miles

It's been on Putoline 15/50 semi synth for a fair few miles. I put Putoline 20/50 semi synth in it this time which may account for some noise reduction from cold, but it still sounds a whole lot better when warm.

Should have changed one thing at a time I know.... Tensioner first etc etc. I'm happy with the results anyway

My 2017, 5k miles, 700GS should be OK for a while.. :D

Nice to know it's an easy task Steve.. :thumb

Thanks for posting mine's only approaching 20k but noticeably louder than it used to be. Whats the parts cost roughly?

Thanks for posting mine's only approaching 20k but noticeably louder than it used to be. Whats the parts cost roughly?

Less than £80 for the two blades and tensioner, from my dealer. Motorworks same price to the penny.. The tensioner was £57 approx.

Thanks for posting this
I installed the new cam chain tensioner, on my 09 F8 GS @ 97,000 miles, a couple of months ago... I forgotten all about it until I read your post, it’s made a big difference, much quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part numbers and prices...

Here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_20200109_165706.jpg
    IMG_20200109_165706.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,282
Piccy above, gave me neck ache.. :D

:pullface

Attachments

• 20200109_172649.jpg
    20200109_172649.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,352
I thought my 700GS (2012, 30k) was sounding a bit rattly when I rode it round the block with no helmet after washing it the other day.

I managed to solve the problem with a pair of foam earplugs - £10 for 100 pairs.

:D

My f800 gsa (11,500 miles ) is in for its slightly belated 3 year service and has developed a serious rattle in the last few hundred miles , dealer reckons it isn't the tensioner so may be a buggered camchain or the water pump gears. Thank **ck that it was bought BMW Approved used and still has 19 months of warranty left

My f800 gsa (11,500 miles ) is in for its slightly belated 3 year service and has developed a serious rattle in the last few hundred miles , dealer reckons it isn't the tensioner so may be a buggered camchain or the water pump gears. Thank **ck that it was bought BMW Approved used and still has 19 months of warranty left

If it's the camchain I think it's an 'engine out' job to do it the BMW way. 8-10 hours according to the service lass at Marshall's when I enquired about getting mine done.

If it's the camchain I think it's an 'engine out' job to do it the BMW way. 8-10 hours according to the service lass at Marshall's when I enquired about getting mine done.

Yep but at least it is their problem and thankfully not mine as it would have been if I had bought it from a non BMW dealer (with a standard 3 months warranty ) and possbly saved a couple of hundred pounds on the purchase , if no progress by the end of next week I think they can provide me with a courtesy vehicle as per the warranty conditions , I don't really need one but it may concentrate them on getting it sorted.

Typical when I absolutely love the bike

Be interested to find out what it is, you don't get many reports of those failures especially at the mileage involved. Hope it's resolved satisfactorily anyway & soon :thumb2

They seem to have an issue with camchain tensioners on middleweight bikes. All 7 of my 700/800 bikes were rattly and I’ve just had the camchain tensioner replaced on my late 2019 750GS. It’s still pretty noisy, but the engine is noisier than the previous generation (put your ear down by right side of the bike with engine on - without earplugs the camchain rattle is alarming).
At least the warranty can take the strain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom