This year's European trip

have not read all the post but when are you planning on coming down as the passes may not be open early season

mike

have not read all the post but when are you planning on coming down as the passes may not be open early season

mike
The last week in May. Leave UK on Friday 22nd mays and will be in Switzerland on the 25th.

Never thought they may not be open. Is there a somewhere we can find out about last year to give us an idea?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

It’s a pretty good rule of thumb that the non-motorway passes generally start opening around the first to second week of June, at the earliest. It will all depend on what passes you intend / hope to ride, their height and (to some degree or another) the weather on the very day of your arrival. If in doubt, see post #7 https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-will-the-weather-be-like?highlight=What+will It’s also a not a bad rule of thumb that the motorways and tunnels are always (near enough) open, though some (might) demand the fitting - or carrying - of snow chains or winter tyres, in which case you are buggered.

But back to your specific question:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ible-guide-as-to-state-of-passss-(in-foreign)

Some detailed Michelin maps show the earliest date a pass opens and the latest date of its closure.

There are several other websites, too. Regional tourist offices (they all speak English) are a great source of on the spot information. People should use them more, as they are free.

https://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

https://www.drive-alive.co.uk/driving/alpine-passes.htm

http://www.gs-register.org.uk/page40.html

Google, as ever, is your friend. Start with the simplest three words you can imagine. I used ‘alpine pass conditions’. Try changing ‘conditions’ to ‘closure’ or even ‘closed’. It’s free and it’s easy, yet Google’s owners are hugely rich. Funny old world.

The last week in May. Leave UK on Friday 22nd mays and will be in Switzerland on the 25th.

Never thought they may not be open. Is there a somewhere we can find out about last year to give us an idea?

you may be a month early - I went over Susten in the 3rd week of June and we were riding between high walls of snow as it only opened the day before - as has been said, have a plan B and if prebooking hotels, make sure they can be cancelled without penalty

Last year's pass condition will not help you as they vary year to year

I have stayed at Meirengen/Innertkirchen 2nd week June, Five times intending to do the Susten/Furka etc. Two times all blocked. Once one open, had to return from Andermatt same route. Twice all clear.

I suspect in late May you'll be lucky to find the passes open

Excellent tip, don’t know why I haven’t done that before

I have just asked our group if we can change for our June trip. As a bonus a comparable hotel is cheaper in Calais, vs Folkestone

Tip - book a hotel 10 -15 miles from Calais. In the past I’ve stayed in Calais a number of times but it has gone down hill and opportunist crime is common. I stayed in Calais last year coming back from a trip in the car to be handy for the tunnel in the morning, we were lucky but a number of cars had been broken into overnight inside the ‘secure’ car park. One of them was in the bay outside the main entrance to the hotel. Next time I’ll stay further out. Shame as I used to really like Calais and had some good meals out in the town.

Officially the 1st of June +/- 2 weeks.

I live very near to the Grimsel and Susten passes, last year we had a lot of snow and they opened very late.
The year before we did not have that much snow and they opened early.

So far this winter the snow has been on the light side but that could change.

I think you need a plan B. ��

if you need any more info please ask

Mike

Officially the 1st of June +/- 2 weeks.

I live very near to the Grimsel and Susten passes, last year we had a lot of snow and they opened very late.
The year before we did not have that much snow and they opened early.

So far this winter the snow has been on the light side but that could change.

I think you need a plan B. ��

if you need any more info please ask

Mike
Thanks Mike,

We have booked a house in a Andermatt for 3 nights (from 25th May) so we are commuted.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

If it is a bad year for snow we will have any problems getting to Andermatt?

Is there decent riding to keep us busy for 3 days if we avoid the passes?

Late May :blast

Swiss Mike is your man but me thinks you've under estimated things a tad. You'll be able to get to Andermatt via main road n and out but doubt you'll be doing much else other than in and out of there at that time of year, good luck.

Thanks Mike,

We have booked a house in a Andermatt for 3 nights (from 25th May) so we are commuted.

If you're keen to see the high passes, I'd be re-booking the accommodation... I can't think of anything more frustrating that going all that way and being stuck on the "one road in, one road out" town.

Thanks Mike,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but its been a busy week.

Getting to Andermatt.
From Erstfeild the motorway starts to climb and you need to leave at Wassen onto the old road to get to Andermatt.
If its snowing at Wassen then I would go and ask the Police what state the road is in. As you still got 600meters still to climb.
Last year the village was cut off for a week due to a rock fall.

If the weather is good (no snow) then yes you can get out and ride.
In the past the Grimsel, Furka Susten and Nufrenen have been the last to open.
I think the Gottard, Oberalp and the Lukmanier will be open.

A nice run would be from Andermatt up the Oberalp to Diesentis-Muster when up the Lukmanier to Biasca then the old road to Airolo. Then Gottard to Andermatt. I would try and do this even if all the passes are open.

Another run would be Gottard, Airolo jump onto the motorway to Bellinzona the head towards Locarno and do Valley Verzasca and also valley Maggia. I would come back by the motorway.

The Klausenpass might be open if so go to Altdof on the old road turn right as you come into the town and that’s the start of the pass.
I would take care if you do this pass as it has a lot of accidents.

If you have bad weather and can not ride or do not want to ride then take the train to Luzern.
Its a lovey city with a lot to see, it even has a small transport museum.
Information office is in the train station.
Its takes 2 hours and the cost is about 80chf return each. Best to ask at the train station if there is any offers that day.

Info for Andermatt.
Petrol is very expressive in Andermatt.
Some of the restaurants are also very expensive as there is a 5 star hotel in the village.
They have a good supermarket (Coop) in the centre.
Its ways chilly even in the high summer.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please just ask.

mike

We were in a bar in Andermatt in September and it was surprisingly cheap for beer and food, can't for the life of me recall the name of it but everything was more or less closed up there.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but its been a busy week.

Getting to Andermatt.
From Erstfeild the motorway starts to climb and you need to leave at Wassen onto the old road to get to Andermatt.
If its snowing at Wassen then I would go and ask the Police what state the road is in. As you still got 600meters still to climb.
Last year the village was cut off for a week due to a rock fall.

If the weather is good (no snow) then yes you can get out and ride.
In the past the Grimsel, Furka Susten and Nufrenen have been the last to open.
I think the Gottard, Oberalp and the Lukmanier will be open.

A nice run would be from Andermatt up the Oberalp to Diesentis-Muster when up the Lukmanier to Biasca then the old road to Airolo. Then Gottard to Andermatt. I would try and do this even if all the passes are open.

Another run would be Gottard, Airolo jump onto the motorway to Bellinzona the head towards Locarno and do Valley Verzasca and also valley Maggia. I would come back by the motorway.

The Klausenpass might be open if so go to Altdof on the old road turn right as you come into the town and that’s the start of the pass.
I would take care if you do this pass as it has a lot of accidents.

If you have bad weather and can not ride or do not want to ride then take the train to Luzern.
Its a lovey city with a lot to see, it even has a small transport museum.
Information office is in the train station.
Its takes 2 hours and the cost is about 80chf return each. Best to ask at the train station if there is any offers that day.

Info for Andermatt.
Petrol is very expressive in Andermatt.
Some of the restaurants are also very expensive as there is a 5 star hotel in the village.
They have a good supermarket (Coop) in the centre.
Its ways chilly even in the high summer.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please just ask.

mike
That's some great info, thanks alot Mike.

I'm not sure. We were staying at the Aurora hotel, which had nothing open so this place I refer to was on the same stretch of road but on the other side, maybe 100 yards or so up that road.

Many thanks for this. Really helpful. I know the Dolomites very well indeed from skiing, walking and cycling trips so am fine when I get there but have been pondering what route to take through Europe from the tunnel and your suggestion looks excellent. I think we might press on to Baden-Baden though as I have never been and it looks like a great area.

have a look at https://goo.gl/maps/E8o8WV28eAy5BtBi9 - this is my preferred route to the North Vosges from Coquelles - you can do toll free dual carriageway most of the way, buy cheap fuel in Lux and tick off 4 countries.

2 hours from the tunnel puts you at Mons which has a cluster of hotels by the train station, including the ubiquitous Ibis. Several nearby eateries, an impressive cathedral to gawp at on a post prandial walk and of course, Belgian beer which is much better than you get in France.

We are doing something similar this year but having an overnight in Dinant (3 hours from the tunnel) then on to Obernai in the Vosges for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom