Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This year's European trip

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Wessie, I am not sure your link works, at least not on an iPad.

The route comes out simply as A6 followed by A4 motorways.

weird, your image does not appear in chrome but the link is there in the text

your ipad has ignored the embedded shaping point and created a new route - I had those options ot begin with then dragged the route via the Lille ring road

I have added some waypoints for the i-disabled https://goo.gl/maps/us7KMuwDBoWHDcSU9
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    If you or your friends are set on Andermatt, I'd suggest at least two nights there. And on the day in between, you can leave your luggage in the hotel and enjoy a circular route from there. Susten, Grimsel Furka and Oberlp passes (though the Oberalp means coming back the same way. There's also a good route over the Nufenen pass and back via St Gotthard (I think).....
    Maybe come back via The Rhine Falls and then Black Forest?
    Good advice.

My tuppence worth...

Andermatt is a doddle, I am 2 hours from the Tunnel and can be in Andermatt by lunch time on day 2 if I set off around 6:00am and don't piss around, but this means lots of Motorway, but the reality is to avoid motorways you will just lose a day each way riding (relatively) dull French back roads, time that could be better spent riding the Swiss Alps.

Personally I would head past Reims on the Motorway, if you want a nice place to stop Troyes is stunning, well worth a night there, and only about 4 hours from Calais, if not press on a bit to Châlons-en-Champagne, then either head towards St Dizier (this might be about as far as you want to go in one day, but I would peel of cross country here and go through Bar de Luc and on towards Neufchâteau, this means the last couple of hours of the day would be on nicer cross country roads (but is about 5 hours ride from Calais, plus stops)

From here you can head to Andermatt in a day quite easily, but will need to do a bit of main road / motorway to clear the very built up strip between Luasanne and Basel.

An alternative is to head towards the Black Forest on day one (pretty much all Motorway) but day 2 is down via Black Forest. I tend to do out one way and back another.

3 Days each way opens up a lot more nice stuff - but I still would spend most of day 1 on Motorways. Normally I go out in 3 days and come back in 2.

the link posted by wessie opens ok on pc using most browsers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Lee, I guessed it might. It’s odd that a modern quite powerful large iPad and Safari opens it up differently.

Thanks Rasher.

Funnily enough we've indentified Troys as a stop of on the way back, leaving just a 4 hour ride the next day to calais.

We don't want to do too much on the way out when we get to calais as we're no getting till about 6pm French time. I think we've penciled in a place at Reims which we reckon is 3 hours. Don't really want to be riding much later.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Rasher’s advice is, as usual, spot on.

It’s always possible to differ in opinion over the relative merits of roads and directions taken but, after a while, it simply boils down to:

1. Where do you want to get to?

2. Why do you need to get there and when?

3. What time do you have available to get there, from wherever it is you are starting from?

4. How obstinate (or otherwise) you are and / or feel on the day..... and maybe if it’s raining

Reims is a good stop, I sometimes use it ont he way back to give an easy ride home the next day, preferring to stay here;

LOGIS HÔTEL AU TAMBOUR

Having a pool can be nice if I have had a long day in scorching weather, they have a garage for the bikes and the town centre is a leisurely 10 minute stroll, plenty of places to eat / drink.

Stayed in Troyes (Pronounced as the French say the number three) many times, always use this Hotel as it has secure parking and is in the old historic town

https://hotel-troyes.brithotel.fr/

have not read all the post but when are you planning on coming down as the passes may not be open early season

mike
    Our holiday apartment for rental - tossers especially welcome
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p492008

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mike View Post
    have not read all the post but when are you planning on coming down as the passes may not be open early season

mike
    The last week in May. Leave UK on Friday 22nd mays and will be in Switzerland on the 25th.

Never thought they may not be open. Is there a somewhere we can find out about last year to give us an idea?

It’s a pretty good rule of thumb that the non-motorway passes generally start opening around the first to second week of June, at the earliest. It will all depend on what passes you intend / hope to ride, their height and (to some degree or another) the weather on the very day of your arrival. If in doubt, see post #7 https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...ight=What+will It’s also a not a bad rule of thumb that the motorways and tunnels are always (near enough) open, though some (might) demand the fitting - or carrying - of snow chains or winter tyres, in which case you are buggered.

But back to your specific question:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...s-(in-foreign)

Some detailed Michelin maps show the earliest date a pass opens and the latest date of its closure.

There are several other websites, too. Regional tourist offices (they all speak English) are a great source of on the spot information. People should use them more, as they are free.

https://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

https://www.drive-alive.co.uk/driving/alpine-passes.htm

http://www.gs-register.org.uk/page40.html

Google, as ever, is your friend. Start with the simplest three words you can imagine. I used ‘alpine pass conditions’. Try changing ‘conditions’ to ‘closure’ or even ‘closed’. It’s free and it’s easy, yet Google’s owners are hugely rich. Funny old world.

Quote Originally Posted by gazuk View Post
    The last week in May. Leave UK on Friday 22nd mays and will be in Switzerland on the 25th.

Never thought they may not be open. Is there a somewhere we can find out about last year to give us an idea?

you may be a month early - I went over Susten in the 3rd week of June and we were riding between high walls of snow as it only opened the day before - as has been said, have a plan B and if prebooking hotels, make sure they can be cancelled without penalty
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Last year's pass condition will not help you as they vary year to year

I have stayed at Meirengen/Innertkirchen 2nd week June, Five times intending to do the Susten/Furka etc. Two times all blocked. Once one open, had to return from Andermatt same route. Twice all clear.

I suspect in late May you'll be lucky to find the passes open

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Excellent tip, don’t know why I haven’t done that before

I have just asked our group if we can change for our June trip. As a bonus a comparable hotel is cheaper in Calais, vs Folkestone
    Tip - book a hotel 10 -15 miles from Calais. In the past I’ve stayed in Calais a number of times but it has gone down hill and opportunist crime is common. I stayed in Calais last year coming back from a trip in the car to be handy for the tunnel in the morning, we were lucky but a number of cars had been broken into overnight inside the ‘secure’ car park. One of them was in the bay outside the main entrance to the hotel. Next time I’ll stay further out. Shame as I used to really like Calais and had some good meals out in the town.

Officially the 1st of June +/- 2 weeks.

I live very near to the Grimsel and Susten passes, last year we had a lot of snow and they opened very late.
    The year before we did not have that much snow and they opened early.

So far this winter the snow has been on the light side but that could change.

I think you need a plan B. ��

if you need any more info please ask

Mike
    Our holiday apartment for rental - tossers especially welcome
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p492008

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mike View Post
    Officially the 1st of June +/- 2 weeks.

I live very near to the Grimsel and Susten passes, last year we had a lot of snow and they opened very late.
    The year before we did not have that much snow and they opened early.

So far this winter the snow has been on the light side but that could change.

I think you need a plan B. ��

if you need any more info please ask

Mike
    Thanks Mike,

We have booked a house in a Andermatt for 3 nights (from 25th May) so we are commuted.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

If it is a bad year for snow we will have any problems getting to Andermatt?

Is there decent riding to keep us busy for 3 days if we avoid the passes?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast