Thoughts on a trip to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After some thoughts on France. I haven't been to France on the bike before. Planning to head there for 3-4 days in April. In 2 minds as to whether to go to Calais and head down towards the Vosges, or take the ferry to St Malo to explore Brittany and the north west. I am being mindful that France is deceptively massive, and the Vosges might be a bit of a trek for 3-4 days. I know the miles can be munched on the motorways if necessary, but would like to avoid that.

WAPPING,

YOU ARE BANNED FROM ANSWERING.

WAPPING,

Thanks, that did cross my mind as I posted. Have resolved to go to Brittany. And yes, I know how to research routes, use Basecamp etc. just interested in opinions of other folks.

Before you get a seeing to from wapping a lot will depend on what your after, what you like and how you are planning to spend the nights. In April I surmise that you are doing the hotel B and B thing. Do you want to travel all the time and stop in different places or stop in one place and explore the local area. France as you correctly put it is massive and there is so much to cater for all tastes. If you want to get any distance then get on the toll roads and crunch the miles. The Vosges is easily reached in a single day if you get an early Chunnel crossing.
If it’s a first trip then I would suggest heading for Albert and spending a few days doing the trenches and the First World War sights. You can easily get across to Belgium to Ypres and some of the Ardennes if you want to. If you want to enjoy the country then keep the mileage down or you’ll spend all day on the motorway and be knackered when you get anywhere. Keep to the d roads and back roads and stop in the villages to enjoy the cafes. Just bear in mind that April in northern France is pretty much like England weather wise, it could be dry but prepare for shite. Riding 400 miles in pouring rain everyday is no fun, it’s a challenge but one I prefer to avoid if possible.
Above all else be aware of the reduced speed limits and the archaic priority a droit which is quite rare now but still in use in rural parts.
Above all, enjoy France as it’s brilliant for riding a motorcycle, nothing feels worse than getting back off the Chunnel in shitey and driving on our roads.

Thanks all, thanks Wapping, I will be taking the overnight to St Malo, just booked, and have the Ride mags and guides, so will be no worries (and I know how to get them into Basecamp on a Mac :) )

Before you get a seeing to from wapping a lot will depend on what your after, what you like and how you are planning to spend the nights. In April I surmise that you are doing the hotel B and B thing. Do you want to travel all the time and stop in different places or stop in one place and explore the local area. France as you correctly put it is massive and there is so much to cater for all tastes. If you want to get any distance then get on the toll roads and crunch the miles. The Vosges is easily reached in a single day if you get an early Chunnel crossing.
If it’s a first trip then I would suggest heading for Albert and spending a few days doing the trenches and the First World War sights. You can easily get across to Belgium to Ypres and some of the Ardennes if you want to. If you want to enjoy the country then keep the mileage down or you’ll spend all day on the motorway and be knackered when you get anywhere. Keep to the d roads and back roads and stop in the villages to enjoy the cafes. Just bear in mind that April in northern France is pretty much like England weather wise, it could be dry but prepare for shite. Riding 400 miles in pouring rain everyday is no fun, it’s a challenge but one I prefer to avoid if possible.
Above all else be aware of the reduced speed limits and the archaic priority a droit which is quite rare now but still in use in rural parts.
Above all, enjoy France as it’s brilliant for riding a motorcycle, nothing feels worse than getting back off the Chunnel in shitey and driving on our roads.

Thanks for the opinions. I have done Normandy and NW France in the past by car. Would like to go to Ypres one day, but another time.

Thanks all, thanks Wapping, I will be taking the overnight to St Malo, just booked, and have the Ride mags and guides, so will be no worries (and I know how to get them into Basecamp on a Mac :) )

You are cooking on gas!

Having been to Brittany and the Vosges, I'd definitely recommend the Vosges! A day there (using some autoroutes) from Calais, two days on some outstanding roads, day back.

Brittany is a different vibe with lovely coastal scenery but none of the same mountain roads.

Still, there's always another year!

Having been to Brittany and the Vosges, I'd definitely recommend the Vosges! A day there (using some autoroutes) from Calais, two days on some outstanding roads, day back.

Brittany is a different vibe with lovely coastal scenery but none of the same mountain roads.

Still, there's always another year!

the food and cidre in Brittany is superb though. It tipped me over the edge into Type 2 Diabetes...

The coast around Pointe Saint-Mathieu was nice and the small village is very pleasant. A couple of hotels and a very good bistro. There is even a Phare to satisfy my minor obsession with phallic architecture.

Not sure I'd go in April though, as the weather might be a bit moody. Alsace probably milder as it is a relatively dry region compared to the the Atlantic coast.

Brittany has a few villages included in the list of “Les plus beaux.. “
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Plus_Beaux_Villages_de_France#Brittany

Dinan is worth visit - not included in the list - but not far from St Malo. Park down by the port and enjoy a galette.

Look out for the Ille et Rance canal, going all the way to Rennes and beyond. Great amenity for a peaceful stroll. Cap Frehel is a nice destination for a day trip. Ille de Brehat for an island visit - beautiful spot, no vehicles allowed.

It’s wise to be aware of “priority a droite” esp. on the backroads - and the associated road signs. I know of one junction that’s been recently changed to the “old “ system.

Ferry is best, whether St Malo or Roscoff.

The roads are great and the natives are much switched on to bikers.

St Nazaire is worth a visit if you get that far down - with the U-boat pens.

Carnac is a lovely little seaside village with lots of restaurants and accomodation.

Lots of great roads and friendly folk.

Ferry is best, whether St Malo or Roscoff.

The roads are great and the natives are much switched on to bikers.

St Nazaire is worth a visit if you get that far down - with the U-boat pens.

Carnac is a lovely little seaside village with lots of restaurants and accomodation.

Lots of great roads and friendly folk.

Second this.

Oh and it may be too far but La Rochelle is stunning.....

Not sure I'd go in April though, as the weather might be a bit moody. Alsace probably milder as it is a relatively dry region compared to the the Atlantic coast.

Indeed. This picture was taken in April at Le Mans ... had to be at Calais that afternoon to catch the ferry, oh how we laughed.

Attachments

• 8B73613B-582F-482E-AC04-99EDEF53A5C6.jpeg
    8B73613B-582F-482E-AC04-99EDEF53A5C6.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 334
I missed the reference to April in the original post.

There could well be lots of snow on the higher passes in the Vosges. I went over the Col de la Schucht in mid-May a few years ago and while the road itself was clear apart from meltwater, the snow was piled up by the side of the roads to more than 6 feet.

Feck me.... he’s going to Brittany. He’s not going to the Vosges. He wants to go to Brittany. Stop confusing the poor fellow with the Vosges.

In case of any doubt, see post #3 and post #6:

Thanks, that did cross my mind as I posted. Have resolved to go to Brittany. And yes, I know how to research routes, use Basecamp etc. just interested in opinions of other folks.

WAPPING,

I am going to ban anyone who mentions anything but Brittany and kill anyone who mentions the Vosges.

barrelofgun-580x358.jpeg

Oh and it may be too far but La Rochelle is stunning.....

But Ile de Re is more stunning...and a few miles away from La Rochelle.
Some cracking roads in Brittany.Try the D767 from Guingamp to Vannes and the D785 south of Morlaix that rises over Mont D’Arree.

2f0400126b516e343208315927f884e4.plist

8717ed642e1b5f54d3fa5e1ab6f13d6d.plist

Try have a few hours in Ploumanach,shown circled near Perros-Guirec in above pic.It’s stunning.Great for lunch or stay the night.

c8838df337ce29b9a96fbdc7e9d82e63.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom