Travelling with an older person

Similar.

I was 20/21 at the time I guess. In Rome. Mid summer.
Went to a concert with a friend (Herbie Hancock at the time of the Future 2 Future release) at . Mid concert I start feeling the shits coming. My (stoned) friend is heading for the bar at the back of the open area where the concert is taking place and I ask him to get me some lemon juice.
He comes back after a while and hands me this yellow drink that I down immediately without thinking: Limoncello. :D

I try to watch more of the concert but 30 minutes later I decide it's time to go home.
I start walking at a brisk pace towards my sister's scooter that I borrowed for the night. An SH100. I'm in the parking lot and midway towards the scooter I realise I cannot keep it in anymore, I dive between the cars expecting the worse.
By miracle I don't shit myself. I then get up and sprint towards the scooter and leave.

I start riding home (it's like midnight by then) and sitting on the scooter, keeping my legs clenched together helps preventing the worse.
I reach the first traffic light and realise I cannot put my leg down otherwise I'll shit myself.
I start circling around at the red traffic light. Mind you, it is late at night during summer in Rome (outskirts), the city is deserted.
I keep doing this until, at the third set of lights a Carabinieri car approaches me while I'm circling around.

cop: "What the fuck are you doing?"
me (while circling): "I have the shits Sir, cannot put my leg down or I won't keep it in"
cop, after a couple of second pondering on the situation: "all right then, ride safe"

Dear man, wherever you are, you were a saint.

Made it home after another 10/15 minutes, threw the scooter on the floor of the garage, ran upstairs home. I think I had my trousers down already when coming out of the elevator.
Managed to make it to the loo without too much damage.

This is a presumption:
He has an enlarged prostate, like 7 out of 10 men over 70. (Myself also).
Has he attended a clinic for the problem?
If not, get him to do so.
This is not a cure, but it makes life a damn sight easier.
At the clinic, they will probably suggest self catheterisation with disposable catheters.
Painless and quick.
Use one, and drain the litre of urine permenantly stuck in the bladder for the last umpteen years.
Suddenly he can go 6-7 hours without the need to piss, and drink all he wants in between.

As it happens, i bumped into a mate last week that i haven't seen for ages and this is what he's doing now even though
he has, in the past, had "work done" on his Prostate. I'd never heard of it 'till then, sounds interesting.

I'm 71 and have the need to pee regularly too and have no hesitation in peeing in a hedge or wherever, needs must :thumb2

Similar.

Went to a concert with a friend (Herbie Hancock at the time of the Future 2 Future release) at . Mid concert I start feeling the shits coming. My (stoned) friend is heading for the bar at the back of the open area where the concert is taking place and I ask him to get me some lemon juice.
He comes back after a while and hands me this yellow drink that I down immediately without thinking: Limoncello. :D

I try to watch more of the concert but 30 minutes later I decide it's time to go home.
I start walking at a brisk pace towards my sister's scooter that I borrowed for the night. An SH100. I'm in the parking lot and midway towards the scooter I realise I cannot keep it in anymore, I dive between the cars expecting the worse.
By miracle I don't shit myself. I then get up and sprint towards the scooter and leave.

I start riding home (it's like midnight by then) and sitting on the scooter, keeping my legs clenched together helps preventing the worse.
I reach the first traffic light and realise I cannot put my leg down otherwise I'll shit myself.
I start circling around at the red traffic light. Mind you, it is late at night during summer in Rome (outskirts), the city is deserted.
I keep doing this until, at the third set of lights a Carabinieri car approaches me while I'm circling around.

me (while circling): "I have the shits Sir, cannot put my leg down or I won't keep it in"
cop, after a couple of second pondering on the situation: "all right then, ride safe"

Made it home after another 10/15 minutes, threw the scooter on the floor of the garage, ran upstairs home. I think I had my trousers down already when coming out of the elevator.

What a disgusting story ...

If he’s spending an hour/ 90 minutes on the toilet each time, you’re not going to get very far! :D

Similar.

Memorable:D

Just go for it :thumb

It'll all work out OK. My father was 70+ when we toured Germany together on the 250 MZ Supa5's

He worried about this that and the other ... it was his last trip and he never stopped talking about it :D

Monschau ...

i-2zLZ8f9-L.jpg

He died fifteen years ago this week

:beerjug:

Nice one Micky. Wish I'd have had that opportunity too.

You might consider stopping every hour anyway to prevent joints getting seized up. Wife and I are in our 70s and still tour (2 up) but we make sure we stop every hour to unbend legs, walk around, have a wee, drink something, have a biscuit etc.
That allows us to travel for 6 hours including stops. Without the stops we would be out of it after 4.

You might consider stopping every hour anyway to prevent joints getting seized up. Wife and I are in our 70s and still tour (2 up) but we make sure we stop every hour to unbend legs, walk around, have a wee, drink something, have a biscuit etc.
That allows us to travel for 6 hours including stops. Without the stops we would be out of it after 4.

this is why I like solo travelling - stop where and when I like, often in a remote spot, in the shade under a tree admiring a view or cooling my feet in the village water trough which seem popular in Spain, especially if on the Camino de Santiago route.

Even on the group trips I organise, we will often ride independently as we all have different tastes in places to visit, what to eat at lunchtime etc. We then come together in the evening to compare stories over a few beers and dinner.

this is why I like solo travelling - stop where and when I like, often in a remote spot, in the shade under a tree admiring a view or cooling my feet in the village water trough which seem popular in Spain, especially if on the Camino de Santiago route.

Even on the group trips I organise, we will often ride independently as we all have different tastes in places to visit, what to eat at lunchtime etc. We then come together in the evening to compare stories over a few beers and dinner.

Would rather eat my own thigh than travel with a group or let someone else organise my bloody holiday for me!

Would rather eat my own thigh than travel with a group or let someone else organise my bloody holiday for me!

they keep coming back, every year since 2014. Started with 5. Had 12 in 2017, 10 last year, 9 or 11 this year. I choose where we stay, usually 3 nights in a base, then move somewhere else for another 2-3 nights. One or two overnights to get there. It works as we have known each other for decades and nobody is under pressure to stick in the group when riding or dining. Staying in the same place for a few nights mean some can go sightseeing on foot or just relax in a hotel spa. A few like to ride most days. Sometimes we eat as a group especially in a remote hotel where we are half board. If in Colmar like last year we might fragment into smaller groups or a couple might do their own thing for dinner.

Nice one Micky. Wish I'd have had that opportunity too.

I was lucky Edvard ... been across there with my two kids since then :thumb2
Rattled them round der Nürburgring, me on a 650 them both on 1150GS's, still had to wait for them ;)

The cafe is still there.

I only know this as I have stopped there, right on the German and Belgium border

Great picture, happy memories :thumb

Even back then the cafe proprietor casually mentioned that motor vehicles were not allowed in the town unless they lived there! (we'd knowingly ridden through the no entry signs. Well I did, my dad followed) :D

I said, in the best German I could muster, that I wrote for a British Motorcycle Magazine and was doing a touring article on Germany. She gave us another coffee FOC :blast

:beerjug:

I have suffered with varying digestive disorders on and off for a few years - since 2006, in fact - and so have IBS-like symptoms from time to time. I've had a few trips to Spain when I've had to stop many times during the day to us toilets in cafes, garages, bars etc. Never had a problem and usually buy a coffee or water out of politeness.

However, I can't help thinking you're being a little cavalier about the heat. I've ridden in 40 degrees and found two hours of that to be really debilitating. In Catalunya a few years ago it was 36 degrees even in early June. I know you said he likes the heat, but there's a difference between liking the heat and effectively sitting in a 40 degree gale all day. Older people tend to suffer more in the heat (in France they talk about a heat wave in the same way we talk about winter's cold snap here, in respect of prompting a blip in elderly death rates). If he is also having to defecate regularly through the day, he's probably at higher risk of getting dangerously dehydrated. Heat and dehydration does funny things to decision making.

At the least, I'd be stopping every hour max and making sure he drinks a pint of water.

I have suffered with varying digestive disorders on and off for a few years - since 2006, in fact - and so have IBS-like symptoms from time to time. I've had a few trips to Spain when I've had to stop many times during the day to us toilets in cafes, garages, bars etc. Never had a problem and usually buy a coffee or water out of politeness.

However, I can't help thinking you're being a little cavalier about the heat. I've ridden in 40 degrees and found two hours of that to be really debilitating. In Catalunya a few years ago it was 36 degrees even in early June. I know you said he likes the heat, but there's a difference between liking the heat and effectively sitting in a 40 degree gale all day. Older people tend to suffer more in the heat (in France they talk about a heat wave in the same way we talk about winter's cold snap here, in respect of prompting a blip in elderly death rates). If he is also having to defecate regularly through the day, he's probably at higher risk of getting dangerously dehydrated. Heat and dehydration does funny things to decision making.

At the least, I'd be stopping every hour max and making sure he drinks a pint of water.

You make some good sense, I've been looking at temps in Spain/Portugal in June/early July and going to discuss the Austria/Switzerland option in a bit more detail with him.
Either way, the general consensus seems to be that stopping every hour or so in whichever location we go to won't be a problem, he has great days and days when it's all go-go-go! :D

My dad came along from Slovenia down to Greece summer before last on the back of the bike. He was then 76 and had a few worries about it - but it went very well and he was so glad he came along. We took it easy and he did fantastically - we tended to do frequent stops, usually an hour and a bit or so and a break, have a coffee or a water, ..or an ice cream, he got through a few of those :) .. or just a drink from a bottle we carried and a smell of the flowers.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom