R1150 GSA won’t start-relay??

flytoolow

Reaction score
Ok
My 1150 won’t start - won’t even turn over
Battery good and terminals etc
I think it’s the relay
I’ve removed the “big yellow” relay since I’m guessing it has the most power demand on the bike
Terminals 85 and 86 closed circuit
Terminals 85 and 86b? Are open circuit
Is this normal??
Can anyone give me a definition of the open/closed circuit checks to ensure correct operation?? So I can eliminate the faults

does the fuel pump prime then you turn the ignition on.

The relay is not a standard relay.

87 and 30 are the contacts which close when the relay operates, so should be open normally.
85 and 86 are the contacts for the relay coil.
Between 86b and 86 there is a diode.

The relay has two paths to get the bike started.
One normal with the bike in neutral.
The other with the bike in gear or neutral with the clutch switch operated via the clutch lever.

If all appears normal with pump prime etc. Then probably relay, but if you don’t get head light or accessories, then check the starter motor. There is a small black wire that attaches to the starter motor. Check it’s connected.

Attachments

• A83A8502-3227-42B4-B673-72E3F4AE1D09.jpg
    A83A8502-3227-42B4-B673-72E3F4AE1D09.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,027
yes everything seems normal until I press the button
I’ll post a video when I get full internet access

Have you checked the obvious, kill switch/side stand etc? Sorry to ask but you never know! Also a bit of background might help, has it been used recently, do you have power to lights etc.

Have you checked the obvious, kill switch/side stand etc? Sorry to ask but you never know! Also a bit of background might help, has it been used recently, do you have power to lights etc.
Sorry for the delay. The bike is 750km's from me , in a house that has no internet. I get to see it for a day every 4 weeks or so.
Well its not the relay. I replaced that and it is the same.
Theres no lights, indicators, no horn. Checked side stand etc. I dont think the fuel pump is active (the first noise..the "whir", the ABS is active , the "whip"

Bit-o-history - The bike wasnt charging (another thread on here somewhere) - Checked alternator voltage -Low. Recalled Alternator issue. Take off tank & Motronic -& ABS connections - front half of front subframe. Removed alternator - It was missing the diode or resistor on the voltage regulator - replace.
Ive put it all back together - I dont think Im missing a wire connection - I am kinda methodical. Checked fuses - fuses seem OK. Replaced relay with the only one I could source in time...(It was from a reputable BMW dealer - he only had a used one...
Anyway - Bike is the same. Ignition on - only the ABS seems to prime - the ABS and the triangular (? the light below the ABS light) are flashing alternately. Nothing when the starter is pressed... Any opinions ?
If I can get it on a trailer, I can bring it here - but a 250Kg bike - on my own...little hope...

Cheers for any advice you can give.

F2L

Sorry for the delay. The bike is 750km's from me , in a house that has no internet. I get to see it for a day every 4 weeks or so.
Well its not the relay. I replaced that and it is the same.
Theres no lights, indicators, no horn. Checked side stand etc. I dont think the fuel pump is active (the first noise..the "whir", the ABS is active , the "whip"

Bit-o-history - The bike wasnt charging (another thread on here somewhere) - Checked alternator voltage -Low. Recalled Alternator issue. Take off tank & Motronic -& ABS connections - front half of front subframe. Removed alternator - It was missing the diode or resistor on the voltage regulator - replace.
Ive put it all back together - I dont think Im missing a wire connection - I am kinda methodical. Checked fuses - fuses seem OK. Replaced relay with the only one I could source in time...(It was from a reputable BMW dealer - he only had a used one...
Anyway - Bike is the same. Ignition on - only the ABS seems to prime - the ABS and the triangular (? the light below the ABS light) are flashing alternately. Nothing when the starter is pressed... Any opinions ?
If I can get it on a trailer, I can bring it here - but a 250Kg bike - on my own...little hope...

Cheers for any advice you can give.

F2L

Just re-reading this thread...What are the chances the starter motor is just completely dead ? I doubt it, given not turning at all but what are the chances ??

Hmm.
F2l

Has this fault only occurred after your recent ‘repair’ to the alternator? If so it is highly to be something you’ve forgotten to connect or have inadvertently broken. Have you tried a jump start, do you get anything when you press the starter, even a faint click or any dimming of the lights? The wires at the base of the ignition switch are sometimes known to break, try giving them a little wiggle.

There is a small black wire which should be connected to the starter motor. Check it.

If it is not connected then the load relief relay will not energise and you will not get indicators, horn, or front lights. The bike will also not start as this small black wire is used to energise the starter motor solenoid.

Back
Top Bottom