Spain 2020

What did you want a KFC and Multiplex cinema ? :blast

Well given it's one of the most famous TdF climbs I was expecting something along the lines of stalls/eateries etc you get atop the likes of the Stelvio or some of the Swiss passes, even the summit of Col de Aubisque has more atop.

Speed bumps, no doubt.

Fuxake, is that it, is that the best you've got almost 13 months on, c'mon tae fuck, you're better than that.

Thanks Quinten. I've read about the road's to the east and was planning to avoid them, we will probably cut across for Burgos. Thanks for the tip about he road to Logrono.

I’m on the same ferry to Santander, but heading to Portugal and southern Spain after a night in Riano

As others have mentioned, the high passes on the French side of the Pyrenees are well worth riding if you’ve already ridden the N260. I’d highly recommend Carcassonne for a night if you haven’t been before, but don’t go round the castle walls until about 5pm once the coach parties have left

Thanks Sven. Sounds good I'll mark down Carcassone as a place to visit.

Apparently, when in Segovia the dish to try is:

cochinillo asado

Suckling pig is the dish and this is the place to get it, we got a table but you may struggle, we were travelling with a Spaniard so didn't have a problem (they have their uses :green gri )

i-Xzw6P4s-XL.jpg

Suckling pig is the dish and this is the place to get it, we got a table but you may struggle, we were travelling with a Spaniard so didn't have a problem (they have their uses :green gri )

i-Xzw6P4s-XL.jpg

I'll recce the place. I'll be on my own so can squeeze into a corner!
Thanks for the tip!

i-Xzw6P4s-XL.jpg

Suckling pig really doesn’t appeal - I’d rather wait for them to grow up into pork chops and bacon :D

There’s a really nice Lebanese restaurant next to the aqueduct in Segovia

i-Xzw6P4s-XL.jpg

That was a good night - I didn't have the suckling pig though

King Juan Carlos dines there, so they say

Logroño was a surprise to us a couple of years ago. Just looked like a big city but they have a small area similar to York shambles that appears to be a concentration of tapas bars.

A great evening was had.

Segovia is worth heading to, as is Canfranc(May be less to see if being worked on but a stunning building.)
IMHO Tourmalet is a waste of time if you’re being chased by a big,dense, wet cloud but prob good views to be had.

One thing to avoid is FOMO, and roads that look really straight on the map, it’s a big place and they are tedious in the extreme.

One thing to avoid is FOMO, and roads that look really straight on the map, it’s a big place and they are tedious in the extreme.

A few years ago, when I had a Firestorm, it was the one occasion where I managed to get the throttle fully open, in 6th gear, without the revs rising. That livened up that bit of dead straight bit of road, I'm much more sensible now!

That was the same time the EU was throwing billions at the Spanish infrastructure, so twisty roads were racetrack smooth, happy memories.

Well given it's one of the most famous TdF climbs I was expecting something along the lines of stalls/eateries etc you get atop the likes of the Stelvio or some of the Swiss passes, even the summit of Col de Aubisque has more atop.

I prefer a sparse Col summit, helps deter tosspots in camper vans and coaches heading up them.

The Stelvio is a crap ride, but the views at the top make it worthwhile and the shopping complex is handy, but generally I prefer the lesser traveled route (and better riding roads) as long as about every other pass has a refuge or two along them so I can have my morning coffee and lunch at / near the top I am happy, nothing worse than having to stop at low altitude on a hot summers day (well maybe not nothing worse, but this year it was 30c+ in the mountain valleys and @20c at the summits on both my Pyrenees and Alps trips so it was nice not to melt whilst eating lunch)

If you’re heading for Sofia then I’d recommend visiting Sad Hill Cemetery, if you have time. It’s not far from Santo Domingo de Silos. It’s where they filmed The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and has been restored over the last few years.

We're going out on the 5th June, back on the 22nd, with a route down to Ronda to the east of Madrid, and back to the west of Madrid. Staying in a series of Paradores, most for two nights to give us some relaxing and sightseeing time.

There is another Knights Templar castle in Ponferrada and it isn't far from the Picos (western part of but south of them). If you get bad weather you might actually be glad of a stint south of the Picos to enjoy the dry sunshine.

https://castillodelostemplarios.com/

We visited it last year. It's not Ghent, Leeds or Edinburgh, in the sense that it is mostly just a castle that you walk in and around but it doesn't have the audio tour and the exhibits are patchy. The library is pretty well done, and the oldest part of the castle was under refurbishment when we were there. The city itself is Ok and there is a Templar Hotel which is a very decent hotel. It's called Hotel Temple.

https://www.hoteltempleponferrada.com/

A must see if you are going towards Soria is the set from the last scene of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, called Sad Hill. If you have Netflix then there is a documentary on the labour of love by enthusiasts to restore it: SAD HILL UNEARTHED. If you or any of your group are fond of what has to be the best western ever made, it's a really worthwhile pilgrimmage. It's on your way, south of Burgos just off the N234 in a small but beautiful town called Santo Domingo De Silos. It has a beautiful Abbey where they used to televise Gregorian Chants on the TV in Spain in the 70's.

When we went there they'd only just finished the reconstruction. I was expecting a rather drab and neglected village and set but BOY! was I wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPYoFenZl0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrEQPe7l6zU

We found it quite magical, free (no entrance fee) and we stayed here:

http://www.hoteltrescoronasdesilos.com/es/santodomingodesilos/index.asp

Slap bang in the middle of the town. The food is excellent, the hotel beautiful (you can park your bikes against the wall with permission, perfectly safe overnight), there is even night life in the form of late bars and a little night club should you feel in the mood to shake your stuff.

You can either ride the 2 miles or so to the set along a dirt track or you can walk it. The hill to get back up afterwards might have you wishing you'd ridden but if you have had a few long days in the sadlle, you might actually be grateful for the stretch.

To get down to Burgos (and then Soria) from the Picos I'd highly recommend the N623 as opposed to the N627.

Canfranc is now open. Again, it was a pilgrimage we did on one of our tours. We did it just before the major work started and we roamed for a couple of hours around the place and stayed in Jaca. I believe they have removed most of the old weed covered rolling stock which you could climb all over and they have removed the rolling stock within the sheds and demolished most of them (don't quote me but I saw some posts on FB about it). The sheds were mostly closed when we went anyway but a few of the machine shops were open. It's a shame they have removed the decaying rolling stock because it gave the place a real atmosphere. I am led to believe it now costs a few euros to roam around, but not sure how restrictive it is.

If the weather is foul then I'd advise avoiding the N260. Rather hop over the border into France where you will usually have better (and safer) weather to ride in.

I’m on the same ferry to Santander, but heading to Portugal and southern Spain after a night in Riano

As others have mentioned, the high passes on the French side of the Pyrenees are well worth riding if you’ve already ridden the N260. I’d highly recommend Carcassonne for a night if you haven’t been before, but don’t go round the castle walls until about 5pm once the coach parties have left

Tip: Instead of Riaño, stay in (preferably) Luarca or Navia (if you must) and head down the AS12/AS28 To Fonsagrada and Lugo. No finer road to be ridden. You can make Chaves in one day. Ask me how I know ;)

Speed cameras have no margin for error, zero tolerance.....Dago wankers.

Really?

http://www.dgt.es/es/prensa/notas-d...medidas-para-la-gestion-de-la-velocidad.shtml

You're probably not intelligent enough to speak two languages, unlike many Dago wankers who, in turn, will have a working knowledge of English, so I'll summarise it for you in a nutshell: 7 kms/h up to and including 100km/h and 7% thereafter. There is also a handy little box (it's called a table but I think you've learned enough for one day) half way down the page which even you should be able to understand.

Dago wanker D.O.T. official information instead of your very racist opinion.

Perhaps if you trimmed your eyebrows or serviced your speedo you might be able to read it.:D

:tosser

Back
Top Bottom