We are based just 30 minutes from Malaga airport in the heart of one of the best adventure riding areas in the world. With Morocco and Portugal on our doorstep many forms of riding holiday can be arranged

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spain 2020

Segovia

The Aqueduct is the most spectacular in Europe. This alone is a good reason to see Segovia

t
    Quote Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
    There's a Knight Templars church at Segovia

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...48!4d-4.132306

Lovely city, with lots to do / see.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If you’re heading for Sofia then I’d recommend visiting Sad Hill Cemetery, if you have time. It’s not far from Santo Domingo de Silos. It’s where they filmed The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and has been restored over the last few years.

We're going out on the 5th June, back on the 22nd, with a route down to Ronda to the east of Madrid, and back to the west of Madrid. Staying in a series of Paradores, most for two nights to give us some relaxing and sightseeing time.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveS View Post
    The Aqueduct is the most spectacular in Europe. This alone is a good reason to see Segovia

t
    It sure is, although the old town is pretty special too

Steve

2006 K1200S > 2009 R1200GS MU > 2012 R1200RT SE > 2014 R1200GS LC > 2018 R1200RS Sport SE > 2019 R1250GS TE

There is another Knights Templar castle in Ponferrada and it isn't far from the Picos (western part of but south of them). If you get bad weather you might actually be glad of a stint south of the Picos to enjoy the dry sunshine.

https://castillodelostemplarios.com/

We visited it last year. It's not Ghent, Leeds or Edinburgh, in the sense that it is mostly just a castle that you walk in and around but it doesn't have the audio tour and the exhibits are patchy. The library is pretty well done, and the oldest part of the castle was under refurbishment when we were there. The city itself is Ok and there is a Templar Hotel which is a very decent hotel. It's called Hotel Temple.

https://www.hoteltempleponferrada.com/

A must see if you are going towards Soria is the set from the last scene of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, called Sad Hill. If you have Netflix then there is a documentary on the labour of love by enthusiasts to restore it: SAD HILL UNEARTHED. If you or any of your group are fond of what has to be the best western ever made, it's a really worthwhile pilgrimmage. It's on your way, south of Burgos just off the N234 in a small but beautiful town called Santo Domingo De Silos. It has a beautiful Abbey where they used to televise Gregorian Chants on the TV in Spain in the 70's.

When we went there they'd only just finished the reconstruction. I was expecting a rather drab and neglected village and set but BOY! was I wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPYoFenZl0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrEQPe7l6zU

We found it quite magical, free (no entrance fee) and we stayed here:

http://www.hoteltrescoronasdesilos.c...ilos/index.asp

Slap bang in the middle of the town. The food is excellent, the hotel beautiful (you can park your bikes against the wall with permission, perfectly safe overnight), there is even night life in the form of late bars and a little night club should you feel in the mood to shake your stuff.

You can either ride the 2 miles or so to the set along a dirt track or you can walk it. The hill to get back up afterwards might have you wishing you'd ridden but if you have had a few long days in the sadlle, you might actually be grateful for the stretch.

To get down to Burgos (and then Soria) from the Picos I'd highly recommend the N623 as opposed to the N627.

Canfranc is now open. Again, it was a pilgrimage we did on one of our tours. We did it just before the major work started and we roamed for a couple of hours around the place and stayed in Jaca. I believe they have removed most of the old weed covered rolling stock which you could climb all over and they have removed the rolling stock within the sheds and demolished most of them (don't quote me but I saw some posts on FB about it). The sheds were mostly closed when we went anyway but a few of the machine shops were open. It's a shame they have removed the decaying rolling stock because it gave the place a real atmosphere. I am led to believe it now costs a few euros to roam around, but not sure how restrictive it is.

If the weather is foul then I'd advise avoiding the N260. Rather hop over the border into France where you will usually have better (and safer) weather to ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I’m on the same ferry to Santander, but heading to Portugal and southern Spain after a night in Riano

As others have mentioned, the high passes on the French side of the Pyrenees are well worth riding if you’ve already ridden the N260. I’d highly recommend Carcassonne for a night if you haven’t been before, but don’t go round the castle walls until about 5pm once the coach parties have left
    Tip: Instead of Riaño, stay in (preferably) Luarca or Navia (if you must) and head down the AS12/AS28 To Fonsagrada and Lugo. No finer road to be ridden. You can make Chaves in one day. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerelight View Post
    Tip: Instead of Riaño, stay in (preferably) Luarca or Navia (if you must) and head down the AS12/AS28 To Fonsagrada and Lugo. No finer road to be ridden. You can make Chaves in one day. Ask me how I know
    How do you know ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    There are far more people risking their lives on the GS than any of the competitors bikes

Quote Originally Posted by att View Post
    Speed cameras have no margin for error, zero tolerance.....Dago wankers.
    Really?

http://www.dgt.es/es/prensa/notas-de...elocidad.shtml

You're probably not intelligent enough to speak two languages, unlike many Dago wankers who, in turn, will have a working knowledge of English, so I'll summarise it for you in a nutshell: 7 kms/h up to and including 100km/h and 7% thereafter. There is also a handy little box (it's called a table but I think you've learned enough for one day) half way down the page which even you should be able to understand.

Dago wanker D.O.T. official information instead of your very racist opinion.

Perhaps if you trimmed your eyebrows or serviced your speedo you might be able to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    How do you know ?
    You are such an Arse. Why don't you tell him? You were there. Or was I dreaming as I do every night about you?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123