Riding with helmet flipped up

If you come off one of the issues with a helmet is how the shape might or might not create forces that twist your next. (This is one of the issues with a gopro on side of helmet). When flip up is in the up position this obviously can prevent the helmet sliding along the ground and so can be dangerous. Those with approval to be worn flipped up have passed a test to show this is safe. Others may also be safe, but they may not. So there is a material point here that is worth considering.

Realistically everyone with a flip up lid wears it flipped up sometimes. Personally I wear an open face on short trips around town and have a flip up adventure lid which i like as the additional space at the front means better air flow. My full face is worn when it isn't hot. Helmets are a bit like bikes for me - there isn't any one that can fulfil all needs

Flip helmets - great for spec wearers & Traffic Police. Why does anyone else need one? - just get a decent full face helmet & be done with it.

The flip feature is for use when stationary &, as others have said, that is the only way most of them have passed homologation.

Still, each to their own. Your noggin, your neck, your choice. I guess they are easier for a paramedic to remove when flipped, whilst they scrape your face off the road. :hide

Flip helmets - great for spec wearers & Traffic Police. Why does anyone else need one? - just get a decent full face helmet & be done with it.

I thought the same for 20 years, but they are great when you want to talk to someone without the faff of taking helmet off. Particularly useful abroad. I find you get a much better response from people. Also means you can ride with an open face on very hot days if a portion of route is slow. In my view it's a no brainer to have one alongside full face

If you ride with it flipped up most/all of the time would it not be sensible to buy a lightweight open face helmet? More comfortable, cheaper, lighter and safer.

That’s only sensible if you “pop out” for a short ride. If you’re riding far away from home for a while or on a tour in hot sunny weather ride with it open, if it rains close it. It’s worked for me ever since I first used the Bmw system helmet riding for 6 weeks around Europe in 1985, before that I used a noisy uncomfortable full face Griffin

Like I posted earlier, only the Neotec 2 is approved to be used with the flip up, so the C3 and C3 Pro are not

You seem very sure about this, how do you know it's the only one?

You seem very sure about this, how do you know it's the only one?
In the case if the Neotec, only version 2 was approved for riding with the front up (I think it came down to the fact the front was designed to 'click' into position when up to prevent it falling closed inadvertently). This detail is 100% accurate.

Couldn't tell you about the others!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Correction: The man had his helmet visor up. So the article is irrelevant :D

Anyway I use a System 7, coverts from full face/flip open to open in less than 2 minutes. Chin pieces goes in the top box and you have a open face helmet that weighs less than 900 grams.
I always used my System 2(had heated visor),3,4,5 and 6 up position when riding low speed especially in town...

My main lid is an LS2 Valiant, a clone of a Shark Evoline / Evo One but better build quality

I tend to ride with the chin bar flipped over all the time, and just drop it to full face when baiting down a motorway or in bad weather.

It was a blessing last year in 40c days in Southern Germany and again in Northern Italy.

The Valiant, like the Sharks, flips the chin bar right over and locks it back out of the way, and the aerodynamics of the lid still work well.

https://youtu.be/LILmLKm5mn0

Hi everyone, just got my first modular/flip up helmet (schuberth c3) and really pleased with it. I’m wondering if anyone rides with their helmet in the raised position or do you only use it when stationary/off the bike?

What do you plan on doing and why?

Touring and day rides. I was just curious. I’ll probably not ride with lid flipped up unless it was exceptionally hot or in a slow moving queue, like going through passport control at Plymouth ferry terminal..

Done a whole lot of miles with the flip up, and pretty much all day every day on long trips.... always liked to ride that way since I bought my first :thumb

In really hot places found it actually better to ride with the flip down though.

I think of eye protection. Occasionally flip helmet up, running local, but put sun visor down. Recently a biker lost an eye because some ass hole threw an egg at him and he had visor up. As long as you have eye protection, up or down.

Do you have neck muscles the size of my thighs Steptoe ..??!!

Try riding a Laverda Jota 600 miles in a day to the Bol’D’Or wearing a full face Griffin. Then you’ll know about neck muscle pain. Fecking wimp. :D

That’s only sensible if you “pop out” for a short ride. If you’re riding far away from home for a while or on a tour in hot sunny weather ride with it open, if it rains close it. It’s worked for me ever since I first used the Bmw system helmet riding for 6 weeks around Europe in 1985, before that I used a noisy uncomfortable full face Griffin

It doesn't take much thought to work that out, does it :nenau :D

Camera's on his bike would of most likely caught these complete twats...... just saying.....

Copy of text if Link doesn't work

A motorcyclist has lost the sight in one eye after an egg was thrown at his face from a passing car.

The man had his helmet visor up as he travelled on Newton Lane, Wigston, Leicestershire, when the egg hit him in the face, at about 23:15 on Friday.

The 31-year-old had emergency surgery but the sight in his eye could not be saved, Leicestershire Police said.

The force said there were reports of eggs being thrown in Welland Park Road, Market Harborough, shortly afterwards.

Det Cons Jack Thomas said: "I appreciate [egg throwing] is not something you would necessarily think to report to the police, but this incident where this victim has lost his sight shows that it can be very serious.

"We need to find the car and the people responsible as soon as possible."

Back
Top Bottom